Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

stainless steel brakelines dangerous??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 09:37 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default stainless steel brakelines dangerous??

Guys,

I was about to purchase stainless steel brakelines but this page(from NSX owners no less!) has definitely given me pause :

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm

I'm no expert in brakes so can brake experts give us the frank unadulterated truth? Can end-users with SS lines on their cars comment on whether there was any long term reliabilty problems or any other issues with their lines?

This seems like a serious safety issue so please be forthcoming.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-06, 02:31 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rubbish. I actually had my brakes go out with the ss lines, but it wasn't due to wear. When I installed them I didn't check for rubbing against the tire. Went a couple of weeks before the tire ate through the line. The pedal pushed to the floor, warning beep sounded with idiot lights. I was still able to brake somewhat as the escaping fluid could not get out of the line fast enough. When I got it slowed down I simply used the e-brake.
I've had my ss lines on for 4 years and no problems. I'm more worried about my ball joints failing than my brake lines!
Old 01-17-06, 02:39 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my ss lines for 2 years on my car and no problems
Old 01-17-06, 03:02 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey Slawek do you still own GS

Originally Posted by slawek65
I have my ss lines for 2 years on my car and no problems
I remeber you selling your 18'' wheels, you also mentioned that your GS have been sold, if yes what did you get as your new vehicle, just wondering if you own any lexus at this time?
Let me know man
-Kuba
Old 01-17-06, 03:09 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I sold my GS (and my wheels) and now, for last 2 months I have new RL. So far 2 K miles without any problems and I loved all toys RL have.
Old 01-17-06, 03:50 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
Rubbish. I actually had my brakes go out with the ss lines, but it wasn't due to wear. When I installed them I didn't check for rubbing against the tire. Went a couple of weeks before the tire ate through the line. The pedal pushed to the floor, warning beep sounded with idiot lights. I was still able to brake somewhat as the escaping fluid could not get out of the line fast enough. When I got it slowed down I simply used the e-brake.
I've had my ss lines on for 4 years and no problems. I'm more worried about my ball joints failing than my brake lines!

I thought I was the only one that did this I had the same exact scenario happen to me, still stopped with no problems.
Old 01-17-06, 03:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

natnut,

I quoted that exact source when I was looking at SS lines in 2001 (click here for that thread )

I've had the SS lines on since shortly after then with absolutely no issues. I have had three versions on the front since I've upgraded my brakes (twice.. once to Supra TT brakes, the second time to Brembo GTs) but the back have stayed the same.

Get good quality SS lines like Goodrich, make sure they have adequate play and don't get pinched / rub and you'll be fine IMO.