Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spare tire after LS Brake caliper upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 10:43 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spare tire after LS Brake caliper upgrade

Question to people who already did LS Brake Caliper upgrade on your SC:

I am about to upgrade my stock SC to LS front brake caliper (4 piston). I finally got all the parts that I need (calipers, drilled slotted rotors with zinc plated, caliper paint, caliper sticker, new brake pads, SS brake lines).

What did do for the spare tire? I know that SC spare tire will not clear the LS caliper set up, I guess.

1. Did you find and bought LS spare tire? Did it fit to SC spare tire pocket in the trunk?
2. Did you get the Supra spare tire? Did it fit to SC spare tire pocket?
3. How about getting a 5 mm+ or 10mm+ spacer with SC spare tire? Will this work? Will it clear LS setup?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Old 01-07-06, 01:57 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by techsc400
Question to people who already did LS Brake Caliper upgrade on your SC:

I am about to upgrade my stock SC to LS front brake caliper (4 piston). I finally got all the parts that I need (calipers, drilled slotted rotors with zinc plated, caliper paint, caliper sticker, new brake pads, SS brake lines).

What did do for the spare tire? I know that SC spare tire will not clear the LS caliper set up, I guess.

1. Did you find and bought LS spare tire? Did it fit to SC spare tire pocket in the trunk?
2. Did you get the Supra spare tire? Did it fit to SC spare tire pocket?
3. How about getting a 5 mm+ or 10mm+ spacer with SC spare tire? Will this work? Will it clear LS setup?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Ted,
Search SupraForums for a spare. If not, a full size TT front rim will work. I have a TT 17x8 rim with a 235/40 tire and it fits nicely in the spare compartment. A TT donut would be a lighter alternative however.

An LS400/430 wheel designed to clear the bigger calipers would work as well. If you look around, maybe you can find a set for cheap or maybe some one is selling just one rim. Look on Ebay as well. An 03-04 17 inch standard non-chrome LS430 rim would do just fine for an example.

In my opinion, I wouldn't even hassle with a spacer. It's extra hardware that's not necessary. Just buy one rim and tire designed to clear the bigger calipers and you're set....

In the mean time, I'll see if my parts boys have an extra rim layin' around. I'll let you know for sure if I can get one

Last edited by SC400Dude; 01-07-06 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-07-06, 11:40 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Ted,
Search SupraForums for a spare. If not, a full size TT front rim will work. I have a TT 17x8 rim with a 235/40 tire and it fits nicely in the spare compartment. A TT donut would be a lighter alternative however.

An LS400/430 wheel designed to clear the bigger calipers would work as well. If you look around, maybe you can find a set for cheap or maybe some one is selling just one rim. Look on Ebay as well. An 03-04 17 inch standard non-chrome LS430 rim would do just fine for an example.

In my opinion, I wouldn't even hassle with a spacer. It's extra hardware that's not necessary. Just buy one rim and tire designed to clear the bigger calipers and you're set....

In the mean time, I'll see if my parts boys have an extra rim layin' around. I'll let you know for sure if I can get one
Thank you very much for your answer, Phuong.
So full size LS rim or Supra rim will fit into our SC spare tire pocket in the trunk without any problems. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 01-07-06, 04:58 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by techsc400
Thank you very much for your answer, Phuong.
So full size LS rim or Supra rim will fit into our SC spare tire pocket in the trunk without any problems. Good to know. Thanks.
Correct, a full size 17x8 rim and tire will fit.
Old 01-07-06, 05:58 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a supra spare. Supra spare is much thinner than the full sized spare you have on your car right now. You'll need a shorter OEM spare tire screw from a Supra or a 92 SC and it bolts the supra spare tight.

Heres a picture of exactly what you need. Most pre-95 SC models come with it and some do not.

Old 01-07-06, 08:55 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Default Thanks

Thanks all. I better start shopping.