Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Creak in Rear Strut/Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 02:59 PM
praiford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creak in Rear Strut/Suspension

Hi All-

Newbie here with a question. I have done the search and am still confused. I have a '00 GS300 that has developed a creaky groan from the left rear when going over speed bumps at a low speed or even when getting out of the car in the garage (I weigh 190 lbs.) I can even make it creak by pushing down and getting the rear end rocking just so. I took it to my dealer and they said at first they would "lube" the rear bushings for $140, then called back and said I needed a new rear strut. I went ahead and had it done, but the noise came back the next day. I am going in one more time next week to leave it again. Any ideas or thoughts? They definitely put in a new strut.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-06, 08:59 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Hello Praiford,

I have the same symptoms on my 2002 GS300. It sounds like some rubber parts are too tight around metal. One possible candidate is the rubber ring that sits between the top of the coil spring and the support plate. In addition, I also hear something like a "creaky squeak" from the front. Would you please let me know what you find out from the dealer?

Does anyone know what the factory uses as a lubricant on suspension bushings and other rubber parts?

Thanks,

VT
Old 01-13-06, 08:18 AM
praiford
Driver School Candidate

Default Update so far

I went for a test ride with the service tech yesterday. He heard more of a rattle than the creak/groan. I couldn't replicate the sound either, although the rattle seemed more pronounced. He was going to retorque everything and lubricate the upper and lower bushings in the rear. I didn't ask what they used (WD-40??). I am sure they have something special.

At first my service rep said all it needed was a bushing lube, but then they changed the left rear strut. I hope to pick it today and will update.

praiford
Old 01-13-06, 09:49 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got Ltuned susp....and it didn't creak until recently...i just think they need some lubrication of some sort.
Old 01-13-06, 12:09 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Hello Praiford,

I just got my car (2002 GS300), so I have been busy looking at the TSBs which are posted somewhere on this site.

There are a few relevant TSBs. Two of the notices pertain to the rubber pad between the spring and the flange; one TSB for the front, and one for the rear. These refer to "clicking" sounds, I think. I don't have that, my noises are definitely creaking noises, particularly when entering driveways, etc.

Two more TSBs I found have to do with the front stabilizer bar brackets. I just checked mine yesterday, and indeed, they were not tight any more. The stabilizer bar was not flopping around, but there was a squeak/rattle from the front. I think I have taken care of that. This is a fairly easy job. You need a torque wrench, a 12 mm socket, extension, and a u-joint for the extension. I would do this with both front wheels supporting the car, so that the torsion bar isn't holding a load.

Pay attention to the two stabilizer bar TSBs; one deals with re-tightening the original design bolts to 18 foot-punds to eliminate the noise. The other TSB explains how they changed the design some time in 2002 to larger bolts and new brackets so that the bolts can be tightened more. Don't tighten the smaller design bolts to the new spec for the bigger bolts!

Regarding the bushing lube, I never liked putting petroleum products like WD-40 on rubber because there is no telling how the rubber will take the solvent. I also doubt that WD-40 would do the job for long. There must be some kind of a specialty lubricant that works well for this.

I would however say that a squirt of WD-40 here and there, if methodically applied, could reveal the problem spot so that it can be dealt with properly.

Please keep me posted about your progress. Thanks.

VT
Old 01-13-06, 04:35 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have L-Tuned and used the provided bump rubber it will start to make noise because it will move as to the factory on staying in place.

Have you considered maybe a blown shock? That would be unlikely though since the tech would have noticed that.

It could also be the bushing going south.
Old 01-16-06, 06:48 PM
praiford
Driver School Candidate

Default So far so good

Just got home from the dealership. They said that they retorqued everything in the rear suspension, test drove it and didn't hear anything. They didn't say anything about lubing the bushes, but I will check with my service rep (she had the day off so I just picked it up). So far so good - - I haven't heard anything in the rear and I just spent the last 6 days driving around a new GS300 loaner and didn't notice my "old" girl riding or sounding very different. Will let you know if there are any changes. Thanks for all your help. I may still have to use some of the info again.

praiford
Old 01-18-06, 04:09 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Hi Praiford,

I am glad they fixed the problem.

I put some silicone grease on the rear sway bar bushings and the noise has gone down considerably. I think there is more than one thing at work here. If the car stays like this, I will be happy. There is however at least one more point that could use the grease, and I don't know where that is.

The rubber bushings had a lot of mould release on them from the factory. That is the whitish stuff that feels waxy. I think that needs to be cleaned off before the new grease is applied.

Please let us know if you learn anything new, or if the noise comes back. Thanks!

VT