Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Big Brakes are the best for the bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 12:50 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Big Brakes are the best for the bucks?

i just wanted to know what aftermarket Big Brakes are not too pricy but also have great braking power. but i noticed a lot of people are running the supra tt brakes. whats the cost for the supra tt set up? for a 2000 GS400
Old 01-02-06, 01:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Shane,

Can I ask why you want big brakes? Do you plan to do some sort of racing like autocross or show your GS in car shows?

IMO you can get 85% of the performance of big brakes with upgrades to your OEM system (high end pads, synthetic fluid, stainless steel lines) and some of the looks (caliper paint, stickers) for a LOT less money. Plus unless you are very lucky you'll need new wheels (and tires) to fit new big brakes up front
Old 01-02-06, 04:20 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

i understand if i get big brakes i would need to get new wheels at the same time. i do plan to get wheels after i save up enough money.

i have a nitrous kit at home from my previous car. eventually (in a year or 2) i would want to nitrous or look into turboing the GS.

i want new brakes because i just bought the GS400 and it has slightly warped rotors (cross drilled & slotted) in the front. i can just change the front rotors and use the stock calipers but i figured since i have to change the rotors anyways why not get the big brakes that i will eventually get now.. i dont mind spending some extra money and get a bog brake kit. i dont plan on autocross nor taking my GS to shows. i do drive on the fast side at times and have a heavy foot at times. i want big brake for daily street use and look nicer too.
Old 01-02-06, 04:30 PM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

www.ENDLESSUSA.com
Old 01-02-06, 04:33 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can go this way Rotora 4-piston Front Big Brake Kit and they also have a rear kit
Old 01-02-06, 06:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the rotora 4 pot front has a rear as well?! don't tell me it's the same 4 pot rear for the 6 pot front setup...

there is NO the "best" kit out there. what do you classify the best? stopping power? distance? fading? look? price? even if you pick one of those categories, i can easily throw in more variables that will totally alter the choice. what wheels you have, what's the width, what tires, brand, widths, suspensions, etc...

the whole suspension works as a whole, that's why for racing team they spend tons of money to hire people to just tune that to get the "best" system they can get for that particular car.

and i agree with dave, if you just want more braking power, something like the supra tt with some good rotors and aggressive pads, together with ss line, will go a long way. if you want look, the name, then of course you go real bbk. ap racing, brembo, clearly they are the biggest names out there. stoptech are very good and economy setup out there imho (best bang for bucks). in japan project u is the hardcore used for racing. and of course there are others like endless and rotora out there.

i have ap racing on my gs400 and stoptech on my sc430. how would i rate it? ap racing is cool, the 6 pot is a really good bragging right, plus it's pretty rare. but maintenance is high $$. stoptech performs very well on my car, and for the price i think it's really unbeatable, i love it. i drove my friend's car with brembo, it's very good stuff still, but the price tag is really high (and it's just 4 pots).
Old 01-02-06, 07:31 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

is $900 for Supra TT BBK a good deal?
Old 01-02-06, 08:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

brand new? i am not 100% about the pricing on supra tt brakes, but i think if you get it all new you can probably get it a bit cheaper? someone with the setup please chime in
Old 01-02-06, 08:21 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

ltuned parts lists it for 900 as well
Old 01-03-06, 03:04 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking to save $, the TTs are fine. I like the looks of the LS brakes better. Personal choice, really. You can get the LS calipers (used) for about $200. Both will require new wheels unless your current ones will clear. If you still have OEM wheels, then you'd better budget the wheels into this purchase.

These calipers are heavy , though, so they will affect performance just a bit.
Old 01-03-06, 05:06 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a couple guys who have owned or still own tt bbk set up and they just love them, great bang for the buck.
Old 01-03-06, 07:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the Supra BBk up front along with stock rear brembos with ebc pads..I found them used from another memeber on here and man are they great. Its a nice upgrade from stock. Eventhough i don't have a evenly matched rear rotor like the front, the whole system works pretty well.. i also bought stock brembos for the front if i ever want to go back to stock..

Let me tell you that I've always looked at BBK over the years and they can cost thousands depending on what brand you get... You don't have to get brembo but for a few hundred bucks you can do a nice upgrade from the stock braking system. Keep checking the classifieds. I always see Supra brakes for sale.. Heck,thats where mine came from... Good Luck..
Old 01-03-06, 08:13 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind that a few of those upgraded brakes with large rotors actually give you less braking power that other systems. Look at the overall surface area of the rotor and not just the diameter as well as the rotor thickness. Do the math.

if your just into looks then by all means go for what is out there that suits your taste. For braking power the Supra TT brakes are very good and I recommend them to anyone out there even if you are not racing or driving very hard as the additional braking power is a good piece of mind. They are substantially superior to the stock setup in overall braking abilities, feel, and modulation regardless of the pads/rotors you put on the OEM setup. I have been there too many times and with too many sets of pads to know the difference and I drive hard!

Upgrade now and you will wonder why you waited so long.
Hope it helps.
Old 01-03-06, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
If you are looking to save $, the TTs are fine. I like the looks of the LS brakes better. Personal choice, really. You can get the LS calipers (used) for about $200. Both will require new wheels unless your current ones will clear. If you still have OEM wheels, then you'd better budget the wheels into this purchase.

These calipers are heavy , though, so they will affect performance just a bit.
just keep in mind the ls400 calipers will fit but it will hit one of the bolt, you need to deal with that problem.

and the ls430 calipers won't fit on the gs
Old 01-03-06, 04:29 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the supra setup heavier than stock?

btw-my stock brakes are very strong maybe it's the brake assist tricking me. I've never ragged on them hard enough to make them fade though. my only complaint is the rotors are rusty and look like crap.

Quick Reply: Which Big Brakes are the best for the bucks?