Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cheap ROTORS question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 02:24 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap ROTORS question

I recently found out that I need to get two new front rotors and pads. I have looked around on the internet and found places like rockauto.com, which seem to have better prices that I can find at local shop (dealer is so expensive, forget about it).

My question is: I was looking on ebay and found some drilled / slotted rotors for sale that are pretty darn cheap. Now they look fairly generic to me, but they are garunteed to fit the car.

I am not looking for high performance brakes, or any kind of supra brakes swap. I just want the car to stop, and am on a very limited budget. Can anyone tell me if these Ebay rotors are total garbage, or if they seem good enough to get for the price, and put on my car.

here is a link to an example of cheap rotors.

ROTOR LINK
Old 12-30-05, 11:47 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

i saw these too...if you do get em..let me know about braking power and fitment...im curious as well
Old 12-31-05, 10:55 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems kinda dangerous to me....i'm upgrading to the Supra brake setup right now and I went with authentic Brembo rotors for 2 main reasons....safety and quality.

Alot of the cheap "performace" rotors are just no name brand rotors that have been hacked up....not exactly safe. They weren't made to be hacked up like that. No telling if and when they could crack. The brembos, on the other hand, are designed and manufactured with performance in mind and their drilling/slotting is alot more trustworthy. (I've used them in the past and they never failed my while some of my friends had problems with cheap imitiaitons and homemade drilled rotors)

As far as quality goes, the Brembos I used in the past lasted several years on street driving with occaisional track/touge abuse. The cheaper imitations start to corrode/warp/crack over time and use.

Another thing to look at is what the drilling/slotting is for...you won't brake any faster than with normal rotors (maybe even slower with less contact patch) but the rotors should ideally cool themselves quicker and stay cooler which reduces brake fade and increases rotor life. (so unless you've run into driving situations where you noticed brake fade, they're kinda useless to you other than lasting longer...if they're quality.) My suggestion, stick with regular non-drilled/slotted rotors unless you're getting something you know is quality like the brembos.
Old 12-31-05, 01:26 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

Good post with a lot of useful info.

Do you know of any website that offer good vented rotors for a cheap price?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-05, 05:32 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

There are drilled/slotted brembo rotors on Ebay, any way to tell if there authentic?

Link
Old 12-31-05, 08:38 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

really no way...i mean...any machine shop can stamp "Brembo" on another set of rotors.

i would be veeeeery wary of cheap rotors. like roo said...they are very prone to cracking and warping under heavy loads. a crack is the last thing you want when youre trying to stop hard.

Please dont take the cheap way out and buy insuperior braking parts. not only will you end up spending more in the long run on replacements, but this is our safety were talking about here.
Old 01-01-06, 02:17 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rscott
really no way...I mean...any machine shop can stamp "Brembo" on another set of rotors.
That’s why I asked if there is a way to tell if there the real thing or not
I completely understand how dangerous bad breaks can be and I don’t plan to half @$$ them on my car I was just wondering.
Old 01-04-06, 01:58 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

best way to tell if they're real is to get them from a brembo dealer or very trustworthy source. I got mine from MVP Motorsports in Texas. We work with them alot and they're very trustworthy.
Old 01-04-06, 02:18 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

Thanks for the input guys, it helped!

I just went ahead and got some replacement rotors and pads OE spec from raybestos. The two front rotors, front ceramic pads, and shim kits, came out to be $204 shipped.

Rockauto.com has the best prices I have ever seen!

thanks again!
Old 01-04-06, 02:20 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

oh, by the way for anyone who is thinking about ordering anything from them, use this DISCOUNT CODE to save 5% on your total order. Good through FEB 25th 06

Old 01-06-06, 12:06 AM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Post be careful....

just my 2 cents....

i ordered something like this for my talon.....i had them for a while, they worked pretty well. but like all crossed drilled rotors the holes crack after excessive breaking.... they didn't work as well as my power slot big brake kit, but it is a slight improvement from my stock rotors!! sorry i didn't read all of your thread but i figured i'd just give you my info from experience....

... also, the front warped after some time but that may have been poor mounting on my behalf.

g'luck let us know how it goes!
Old 01-06-06, 03:09 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by $C300
There are drilled/slotted brembo rotors on Ebay, any way to tell if there authentic?

Link
brembos don't cost $200..... they're more like 2000 for the whole kit... that's how ya tell.

but as for the cheap ones i got them on mine

i'm not a speed racer or anything... i just use them for normal everyday driving.... i just like the little look that's all.
Old 01-06-06, 03:50 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

First off the discussion was not about a brembo BBK , we were talking about ROTORs witch are no wear near $2000

Here are some supra Brembo ROTORs
Link
Old 01-06-06, 04:00 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

First off the discussion was not about a brembo BBK , we were talking about ROTORs witch are no wear near $2000

Link

I would just go with basic smooth rotors, the whoel concept of slotting rotors is obsolete in everyday driving. The point of them is to filet your brake pad off so you have a new pad surface everytime you stomp on it. In racecar driving, the pads will glaze over and thats why they need slotted rotors, we do not.

Ive seen the basic rotors on ebay, a set of 4 for SC400s and LS400s for like 100 for all 4. (LP parts is the brand) I would be very wary of them... I considered brembo smooth rotors from tirerack.com for abotu half as much as OEM... but a few people said they are good, but the nature of them might cause squeeling and squeeking... oem rotors are strong, light and a bit softer so they make no noise while braking.

And all I could picture is cringing for months as my brakes squeel to a halt, all to save a few hundred bucks...
Old 01-06-06, 04:14 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Link
your right... umm.. sorry?

Quick Reply: Cheap ROTORS question