Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS with Supra brake upgrade pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-01, 09:01 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to show a pic of the Supra brake upgrade. I will be getting cross drilled rotors placed as soon as my brake pads come in. (Did you send them Steve? nah just kidding). I will also post pics of the rear cross drilled rotors once I get them.
Attached Thumbnails GS with Supra brake upgrade pics-supra-brakes.jpg  
Old 08-05-01, 09:03 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default another pic

here's one from farther away
Old 08-05-01, 09:05 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default oops

here's the pic
Attached Thumbnails GS with Supra brake upgrade pics-my-toy-shrunk.jpg  
Old 08-05-01, 11:30 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

HI98GS? Looks awesome!!! Do you have a stock suspension?(no springs or shocks) Also, did you DIY the paint job on the caliper? Last, are you currently using stock exhaust? Thanks, Tiny
Old 08-06-01, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,641 Posts

What I'd like to know is how do the breaks perform and feel now!? Any problem with fit behind your 19s?

Old 08-06-01, 05:43 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

bitakahuna,
Brakes peform flawlessly. The only problem I have is that the brakes are so good that I am a little overconfident with their stopping ability. I had a tendency to late brake because of them. I had to control myself with that. As far as the fit, I specifically ordered the front rims for a Supra. The clearance is about 4-5mm from the rim. Kinda tight but looks tight as well.

Tiny,
I have the Tein HA set up. (see my signature) it's set at the highest perch setting which is about 1.2 inch drop. It can go to about 1.75 inch drop I believe. Yes I am using the stock exhaust. I sand blasted the supra logo off and painted it. It was kinda easy.

aloha
ricky
Old 08-06-01, 05:55 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

HI98GS, very nice brakes ! I want to know since you got the upgrade, have you notice more brake dust on your rims?

I am looking into a brake upgrade because my stopping power is not so good due to large wheels.

Old 08-06-01, 08:10 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

HI98GS....Thank you for the info.. Oh yeah, I see the Teins on your sig. Sorry, wasnt being very observent...
About the SupraTT calipers, I located a company here in Austin who uses a finish that has been used by the military since WWII. It is very often times used on intake manifolds and various parts for turbo cars as well....It is a finish very unlike powder coating. All the tuners I spoke with here actually led me to believe that a powder coating will lock in the heat and is very poor at disapating heat. This finish actually helps disperse heat... The color is a very nice silver aluminum look which should blend nice with the Equips. They are also treating the rotor hats so the CAD plating doesnt clash with the caliper....

Bit- I didnt want to say anything until HI98GS had a chance to respond. When ordering any "GOOD" wheels(like yours, etc.) you can often times specify when ordering that you need a "high-disc" fitment to accomodate a bigger brake... Not to be confused with anything about offsets, the "high-disc" is not a cosmetic change, but is a modification done on the back side of the rim to allow for caliper clearance....It will ,however, result in about a 1/2 inch smaller lip on wheels with lips...I only recently learned this because I ordered the same wheel HI98GS has(Work Equip) in 20" and had to be sure I would clear the SupraTT brakes...Dave at gtautosports,GS4Will, and Manaray are who showed me the light in regards to wheel fitments..

DIESELMAN63- If you stay with the stock Supra pads you should have minimal dust and a nice long pad life...

Last edited by tinygs; 08-06-01 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-06-01, 08:39 PM
NVRENUFHP
Rookie

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63

I am looking into a brake upgrade because my stopping power is not so good due to large wheels.

Why on earth would fitting larger wheels and wider (presumably) tires, but leaving the brakes alone have a negative impact on braking? I don't see how larger wheels and wider tires could in some fashion cause your brakes to be less effective. If anything, the wider tires should give you more stopping power because there is more rubber on the road. Further, if the tires on your larger wheels are the same width as stock, then the stopping power should be the same regardless of wheel size. Please explain that one to me.

And the brake dust issue is more a factor of what pads are used with the Supra brakes, rather than the brakes themselves. If you get more dust than you had before, look into changing the type of pad. There are pads out there that, though they may provide equal stopping power, will create more/less dust.
Old 08-06-01, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally posted by tinygs
When ordering any "GOOD" wheels(like yours, etc.) you can often times specify when ordering that you need a "high-disc" fitment to accomodate a bigger brake... Not to be confused with anything about offsets, the "high-disc" is not a cosmetic change, but is a modification done on the back side of the rim to allow for caliper clearance....It will ,however, result in about a 1/2 inch smaller lip on wheels with lips...I only recently learned this because I ordered the same wheel HI98GS has(Work Equip) in 20" and had to be sure I would clear the SupraTT brakes...Dave at gtautosports,GS4Will, and Manaray are who showed me the light in regards to wheel fitments..
Thanks a lot, tiny! I'd seen this high/medium disc stuff, and didn't know what it was. However, I don't know what my rims are. I think if I do a brake upgrade I'll do the TRD ones though, which should fit no prob.

Old 08-06-01, 09:35 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

HI98GS:

I too am looking for a brake upgrade. Talked with Miguel on the Brembo's, Manaray on the AP's, and tinygs on his Supra TT's. Tiny hasn't got his installed yet, but I'd like to hear about your impressions. Is the stopping power much more obvious? How is the feel? I'm probably going to go your route; the price is hard to beat.

Old 08-06-01, 10:04 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Good choice Bit...You should also have an advantage in that the TRD upgrade will include all four wheels.
(I think?) About the wheels, its kind of hard to tell.(it does vary from wheel to wheel) For instance, when I ordered my SSR's from Tirerack, the only available offset for that wheel fitment on the GS was +35F and +45R. This offset coupled with the style of rim(curves spokes) left me about 2inches of space between the stock caliper and the spoke.(plenty of space for the SupraTT brakes) So, in about a week I will be running the SupraTT brakes with the SSR...Until the Work Equip arrive....On your WEDS I believe you have a slightly curved spoke correct?? In an older thread about this subject, I think there were CL members who did the SupraTT upgrade with the stock 17" GS rim and only needed a 15mm spacer to have acceptable clearance. That translates to just over 1/2 inch. If you can see more than a half inch of space between the wheel and the caliper you should be fine with a larger caliper....Consider also that with the larger rotor, the caliper will be housed further towards the outer edge of the wheel. Tiny
Old 08-06-01, 10:21 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

David GS400:
The stopping power is much better. I can't say enough about it. The car can now stop much faster, it takes less pedal effort to stop the car faster. You get a very solid and positive feedback from the road.

Deiselman:
Depends on what brake pads you use. I don't have much complaint regarding brake dust, since I wipe/wash the car almost every 2-3 days.

Bitakahuna:
I'll post a pic of the brake in relation to my rim. I think you will see what I mean by a "tight fit"
Old 08-06-01, 11:00 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default pic of the caliper clearance

here's the pic of the caliper clearance. The clearance is much better when using the stock rim with the spacer.
Attached Thumbnails GS with Supra brake upgrade pics-caliper-up-close.jpg  
Old 08-06-01, 11:44 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

HI98GS??? Vey Important, please reply asap....Are the rotors your getting from Steve going to be cross drilled or cross drilled and slotted??? The ones I recieved are just cross drilled....But, just today, under the thread called "caliper paint", JacobT posted pics of his SupraTT calipers with a cross drilled and slotted rotor...He mentioned he was getting his rotors from Steve but Steve and I searched for the combo(cr drilled/slotted) and Steve said it did not exist...just the cross drilled...Please let me know, thanks, Tiny

Quick Reply: GS with Supra brake upgrade pics