Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Calipers stickin but then they arent, i don't get it

Old 12-18-05, 08:14 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers stickin but then they arent, i don't get it

Hey, i got a 95 gs300 and i recently discovered that my brakes are stickin. 3 of 4 tires. The only one that doesnt is front left. Front right sticks the hardest.

The thing i don't get is they stick most of the time but sometimes they don't and the difference is like night and day. I don't know if this is related but my car vibrates anytime from 40mph to 80mph. I have winter tires and they could be cupping OR it could be the brakes.

I was told to take off the caliper bolts and regrease them. If that doesn't work, replace the bolts...anyone know what their called?? And if that doesn't work, i might have to replace calipers.
Anyone have this problem?? Anyone have suggestions/solutions??? ANy input will be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 12-19-05, 09:46 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

ANYONE!!?!? I really need advice ASAP!!
Old 12-19-05, 08:36 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
Hey, i got a 95 gs300 and i recently discovered that my brakes are stickin. 3 of 4 tires. The only one that doesnt is front left. Front right sticks the hardest.

The thing i don't get is they stick most of the time but sometimes they don't and the difference is like night and day. I don't know if this is related but my car vibrates anytime from 40mph to 80mph. I have winter tires and they could be cupping OR it could be the brakes.

I was told to take off the caliper bolts and regrease them. If that doesn't work, replace the bolts...anyone know what their called?? And if that doesn't work, i might have to replace calipers.
Anyone have this problem?? Anyone have suggestions/solutions??? ANy input will be GREATLY appreciated!!
y do u think its sticking. if ur caliper is stickin ull knotice uneven brakewear. sounds like right now u need an alignment
Old 12-19-05, 09:02 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by koolaidman
y do u think its sticking. if ur caliper is stickin ull knotice uneven brakewear. sounds like right now u need an alignment
Could be...i got the car 2000 miles ago, and the condition/wear and tear the parts i replaced were, i could believe it!

Here are some symptoms: Car vibrates anywhere from 40-80 mph(most of the time but not always). When the car was jacked up at lexus dealer, the tires were very hard to turn, 3 of 4 had resistance. Front right had the most resistance and the techs assumed that calipers where the prob. Also, from 5mph and lower, i could put the car into neuteral and it will slow down and stop very quickly. Also, it will not roll at all, which makes me believe its the brakes! Also, the rpms range depending on resistance from the brakes. Sometimes i ll go 50mph and rpms will be 2500 or 2300, or even 1800 (when it doesnt feel like the brakes are resisting) so i'm thinkin the brakes are holdin the car back and makin the engine work harder than it has to.

What makes you think the alignment could be the prob??

Anyone have any input on this?
Old 12-20-05, 08:28 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he was asking about the alignment because you mentioned the tire cupping thing. (I'd bet)

your description sure does sound like dragging brakes. Damn though, 3 out of 4?!?!? that's crazy.
I'm a bit lost on how greasing the bolts would help here though. my limited experience with dragging brakes is that it comes from the caliper piston not going back into the caliper. This can be from debris, rust, dirt and grime, etc.

Depending upon the mileage and condition of the parts, you can sometimes just take them apart, clean everything up and you're good to to. Other times you'll need a whole new caliper, or have someone rebuild it.

Then there's the question of the current condition of the pads and rotors......IF the brakes were indeed dragging!! You should be smelling brake dust when their dragging. It's pretty noticeable.
Old 12-20-05, 10:52 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
he was asking about the alignment because you mentioned the tire cupping thing. (I'd bet)

your description sure does sound like dragging brakes. Damn though, 3 out of 4?!?!? that's crazy.
I'm a bit lost on how greasing the bolts would help here though. my limited experience with dragging brakes is that it comes from the caliper piston not going back into the caliper. This can be from debris, rust, dirt and grime, etc.

Depending upon the mileage and condition of the parts, you can sometimes just take them apart, clean everything up and you're good to to. Other times you'll need a whole new caliper, or have someone rebuild it.

Then there's the question of the current condition of the pads and rotors......IF the brakes were indeed dragging!! You should be smelling brake dust when their dragging. It's pretty noticeable.
You got a good point about alignment....with the repairs that were done so far by, seems like this car was neglected quite a bit. IT was a company car for the first 30000 miles of its life.

3 of 4 tires is right....i was shocked when i found this out. This car only has 98xxx and its a 95. I want to take the whole brake/caliper system apart, clean it out and regrease the caliper bolts and whatever else. Rotors and pads are in good condition and were replaced recently...in the past 6000 miles.
Old 12-21-05, 02:37 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

I have seen brake lines that start to go bad internally and act as a one way valve of sorts. If the fluid in yours was real contaminated that could be a possibility.
Old 12-22-05, 11:12 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
I have seen brake lines that start to go bad internally and act as a one way valve of sorts. If the fluid in yours was real contaminated that could be a possibility.
Perhaps do a brake fluid flush or change out the fluid???

I also noticed that the brakes stick harder during colder weather, could it be possible that the grease hardens up (wasn't made for the cold weather) and doesnt allow the caliper and brakepad to move freely. Because today was 39 and my car ran great without much resistance fromt eh brakes.
Old 12-22-05, 12:06 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

I am not saying that the brake lines are a problem, but if they have sarted to separate internally just flushing the system will not help.
Old 12-22-05, 12:28 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

What bout the thing i said about the weather effecting the brakes. That a possibility?

BtW, my car had no problems until it got cold.
Old 12-22-05, 01:51 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

The weather could be hardening the grease and it is always best to check the quick and inexpensive fixes first. It sounds like you have a lot of drag on your brakes and that sounds like a little more than just binding caliper bolts. I would recommend trying it, it should only take an hour or so to try the grease fix first. A clean brake system is a good thing and that includes having nice clean fresh grease.
Old 12-22-05, 02:15 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
The weather could be hardening the grease and it is always best to check the quick and inexpensive fixes first. It sounds like you have a lot of drag on your brakes and that sounds like a little more than just binding caliper bolts. I would recommend trying it, it should only take an hour or so to try the grease fix first. A clean brake system is a good thing and that includes having nice clean fresh grease.
Oh yea, for sure. (13-15 mpg and it drives like crap) I'm takin it to tires plus tommorow, they are ganna do my alignment check and alihnment prolly, and they said theyd check brakes for free and maybe even clean em out. FREE[/SIZE]

Word of advice for everyone .... tires plus does free alignment checks and brake checks!! unlike midas 89.99 to get it checked. (whoever owns that place needs to get TKO'ed)
Old 12-25-05, 09:56 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

My car definitely needed an alignment. My brakes are still sticking. They said they'd check it out but they said there was no problem. Don't you hate when that happens!!

What should i do!?!?!?
Old 12-25-05, 12:03 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call me crazy, but even though they may do brake jobs on cars, I'd take it to a brake specific shop and try for a free inspection.

I don't recall reading that you said you smelled the brakes as they were "dragging" so now I'm back to wondering if they are really dragging.

Sounds like you either need to get your hands dirty and start checking things, or, pony up some cash to a pro. Have you taken it to a Lexus dealer? Sure they'll quote you an astronomical price, but, they do know the car! It'd be worth it to pay them for an inspection, and *maybe* take it somewhere else if you need to in order to get it fixed.
Old 12-25-05, 09:34 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
call me crazy, but even though they may do brake jobs on cars, I'd take it to a brake specific shop and try for a free inspection.

I don't recall reading that you said you smelled the brakes as they were "dragging" so now I'm back to wondering if they are really dragging.

Sounds like you either need to get your hands dirty and start checking things, or, pony up some cash to a pro. Have you taken it to a Lexus dealer? Sure they'll quote you an astronomical price, but, they do know the car! It'd be worth it to pay them for an inspection, and *maybe* take it somewhere else if you need to in order to get it fixed.
They smell sometimes. Which also confuses me.

Lexus did check out my car and told me why my car was draggin a lil and why my car was vibrating at certain speeds. (Tires cupping)

They jacked up the car and spun the tires. They were diffinitly sticking. They didn't go in deeper cuz i was in a time crunch.

When tires plus checked it out, they were fine and no resistance. But thats after it was inside a warm building for 1+ hours unlike lexus for like 10 minutes. Could it be that the caliper bolt grease has lost its touch??

Is it possible that if i clean out the calipers, regrease the bolts and whatver else, this prob would go away?? I pray it would. MAke that my Xmas present

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calipers stickin but then they arent, i don't get it