Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

strange griding noise when fully turned

Old 12-11-05, 11:30 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry strange grinding noise when fully turned

A strange metal to metal grinding noise started today after going from 19's wheels back to stock 17's

Here is a little history.

6 months ago the car was completely stock and I changed to ltuned shocks/springs, lower control arms, outter tie rods, ball joints and 19inch wheels (235/35/19) all done at the same time. After the mod, there was no problems at all.
I have just swapped the 19s out for my 17inch stock and noticing a metal to metal grinding noise when I fully turn the wheel. When turning the wheel left (counter) the noise begin when its fully turned with noise coming from left side front. Turning right (clock) the noise is from the passenger front. Also I notice the front of car raises up a bit and the car grinds to a complete stop. Please help!!

also: tires are stock size

Last edited by sputniknyc; 12-16-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 11:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you inspect the tires, wheels, wheelwell, suspension components, does anything look like it has been roughed up?
Old 12-11-05, 11:49 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
If you inspect the tires, wheels, wheelwell, suspension components, does anything look like it has been roughed up?
I felt around but nothing seems to be roughed up. I will need to physically take the wheel off to look if anything is damaged. But hearing metal grinding is just never good.
Anyone else has come across this problem before?
Old 12-12-05, 01:58 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I also had this happen just the other day. When from my 18's )after replacing all front suspension components) back to stock 16" wheels. We got alot of snow here, so I was thinking it was snow/ice buildup in the wheels wells. But I'll have to get it on the hoist to see. I'll see what happens when when I get it up on the hoist, hopefully this week..
Old 12-12-05, 12:10 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I experienced this with a different car - turned out the two brake caliper bolts were different lengths, and I reversed them.

Although I doubt it's the same thing with your car, it wouldn't really hurt to check both sides of your brake rotors for any grooves that may be caused by this.
Old 12-12-05, 01:36 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
I experienced this with a different car - turned out the two brake caliper bolts were different lengths, and I reversed them.

Although I doubt it's the same thing with your car, it wouldn't really hurt to check both sides of your brake rotors for any grooves that may be caused by this.

Everything was fine with the 19's. But I will check the rotors as well.
Old 12-14-05, 10:03 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

rotors look fine and no signs of wear.
Anyone else have this happen to them?
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 12-14-05, 10:08 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sput,

I have the same grinding noise in my front left drivers side. If you're around sometime in near future, lets link up and go for a ride so we can see if we are having the same issue. I'm about to schedule my car with BaySide Lexus for a complete diagnostic and put my extended warranty to the test. Hopefully they can give me (and you) some answers.
Old 12-14-05, 04:10 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
A strange metal to metal grinding noise started today after going from 19's wheels back to stock 17's

Here is a little history.

6 months ago the car was completely stock and I changed to ltuned shocks/springs, lower control arms, outter tie rods, ball joints and 19inch wheels (235/35/19) all done at the same time. After the mod, there was no problems at all.
I have just swapped the 19s out for my 17inch stock and noticing a metal to metal grinding noise when I fully turn the wheel. When turning the wheel left (counter) the noise begin when its fully turned with noise coming from left side front. Turning right (clock) the noise is from the passenger front. Also I notice the front of car raises up a bit and the car grinds to a complete stop. Please help!!

also: tires are stock size
so does the noise happen when u turn it all the way to the left or right. untill it locks. if so its the pump at max pressure
Old 12-14-05, 05:05 PM
bazop
Rookie

I don't know if this will help or not, but its worth a shot (especially since its free)- I just put my stock 16's back on for the winter, and after i had a slight grinding from the front pass side- i finally figured out i stupidly must have forgot to torque it down tight and the wheel was slightly loose and rubbing the brake caliper- i could actually see a small scuff mark on the top of the caliper. anyways, maybe you'll get lucky and it turns out to be something that hopefully isn't major $$$$$. Good luck.
Old 12-14-05, 10:22 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bazop
I don't know if this will help or not, but its worth a shot (especially since its free)- I just put my stock 16's back on for the winter, and after i had a slight grinding from the front pass side- i finally figured out i stupidly must have forgot to torque it down tight and the wheel was slightly loose and rubbing the brake caliper- i could actually see a small scuff mark on the top of the caliper. anyways, maybe you'll get lucky and it turns out to be something that hopefully isn't major $$$$$. Good luck.

it is happening on both sides when it is fully turned. Fully turned causes grinding to a halt.
I torqued my wheels to 85lbs.

Papi. pm me your number. THis problem is bugging me out.
Old 12-14-05, 10:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
I torqued my wheels to 85lbs.
Just in case. The torque spec for the OEM wheels are 76 ft/lbs.
Old 12-15-05, 01:08 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

check for hub and bearing for the wheels. I had similar problem and just had dealer fix it under warranty and car is back to lexus smooth.
Old 12-15-05, 01:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Sput,

I have the same grinding noise in my front left drivers side. If you're around sometime in near future, lets link up and go for a ride so we can see if we are having the same issue. I'm about to schedule my car with BaySide Lexus for a complete diagnostic and put my extended warranty to the test. Hopefully they can give me (and you) some answers.
You guys going to Bayridge? Thats my dealer. Hey guys ask for marlon in Service, he is real cool. Bill, how are your ball joints? Could be that.
Old 12-15-05, 07:30 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I think people are missing the most critical part here, as I have the same problem. It can't be bearings, balljoints, etc...because 5 minutes prior when my 18's (and his 19's) were on, our balljoints, and bearings were perfectly fine and there was no grinding. So how in the space of a few minutes do those components go bad?? It's doubtful it's either of those components. Tomorrow when I get my car on the hoist, I'll have a look-see and let you know my findings...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: strange griding noise when fully turned