Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Guestions on Tein Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-01, 10:12 PM
kyle3632611

Question

hi, i have a 01GS430, and i just got Ltuned ECU, and the next step im thinking of getting suspension upgraded, i was thinking about the L tuned spring/ shocks, but my friends recommend me to save up some money to get the Tein Coilovers, any suggestions?? is the tein coilovers really stiff?? my friends say it's very smooth ride thoguh..so, i dunno what to do. and also, what's the tein type cs, or ha, or other types?? what does it mean, what's the difference??? any input will be great, thanks!!

2001 GS430 silver/grey/Ltuned ECU
kyle
Old 03-01-01, 10:51 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb the teins....

hello kyle,

this topic has been widely discussed in the old forum, so i will try to sum up the feedbacks from many mambers and my personal knowledge.

1. have you ever lower your car before?

if no, tein would be too much for you. tein provide one of the best handling mod, but even at the softest setting, the ride can be harsh.

2.what is more important to you, ride quality, improved handling or the "look"?

l-tune: slight drop, improved handling and good look, while retain a fairly comfy ride. about$550 from Steve @Carson Toyota

eibach+bilstein sport shocks: about the same drop as the l-tunes, but slightly more firmer ride, handling improvement is about the same(may be a little better) than the l-tunes. around $700-$750 street price

the bilsteins, imo, is one of the best shocks in the world, and they give you lifetime warranty.

teins has manu diff. model.

-NA either the height or the comfort is adjustible, i am uncertain, least expensive. about$1100

-HA height and comfort adjustable(16 ways)
around $1300

-CS tein's new model, called comfort series, i have not yet hear any comments from the forum. most expensive.
your friend may be recommending this model. as far as i know, the HA series gives dramatic improvemen in handling, but quite a few member reported it is too harsh of a ride.

most members are quite satisfied with either l-tuned or eibach/bilstein pkg. after all, either of this combo gives you good bang for your $$$, in terms of look, ride quality and handling.

if you decide to go for the eibach/bilsteins, i can get you a brand new set of the bilstein shocks delievered to your door for $425(the cheapest nation wide price is $450+shipping). for the eibachs, look up todd @ tmengineering.net, he is also a member and has great prices.

good luck.

will

Old 03-02-01, 05:35 AM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tein HAs

I have the Teins on my car and from stock it is a big difference.
I run them about 12 clicks in on the damping.
The handling is awsome. I can rip the car around corners with very little roll now.
Before the car rolled way too much.
The lowering is adjustable. I lowered mine about 1". I think the look is great.
I still have stopck 16's and it fills the gap in very nicely.
Teins are a great upgrace IMO.
MIKE
Old 03-03-01, 07:02 AM
Grush
Rookie

Question For Will

Will, how would you describe the different ride characteristics between the L-Tune shock/springs, and the stock ride on 17" wheels.
Thanks
Old 03-03-01, 02:58 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb the feel

hey G,

stock- kind of "floating"(for lack of better word) ride.

l-tuned- more planted, controlled handling, especially with the ecu upgrade, the turn would be more precise and less efffort.
Old 03-04-01, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default grush

L-Tuned springs/shocks/ECU improves feeling of control greatly on stock 17" wheels. I don't think it diminishes ride quality at all.

If you go further, bigger wheels, upgrade sways, etc., that will feel stiffer.

From what I've heard about the TEINs by the way, while they are no doubt quality pieces, and they offer adjustability, they're apparently stiffer than other setups (no matter the adjustment) and may be overkill (or overstiff, hehe) for normal street use.
Old 03-05-01, 08:37 AM
Grush
Rookie

Lightbulb GRIPE ALERT!!

My friend bought a BMW 530 w/ perf pkg. I noticed the big difference between the BMW coming with the perf shocks/springs and lowered, and the Lexus L-Tuned after the fact, is that the BMW's body was initially designed for a lower profile.

The BMW ground clearance is almost the same as my stock Lexus, but there's no huge tire gap in the wheel well. To reduce the Lexus "well gap", lowering the car reduces the ground clearance too, which is one of the biggest headaches for L-Tuned drivers.

Lexus should start at the drawing board. Sit a person down and build the car around him/her. Just like the gas pedal. Worst position, no resistance. One must hold/lift the foot off it to maintain speed. I put a block of foam under the pedal and it provides perfect pressure. An after-market larger pedal then allows for heal-toe operation. For 6 footers, the pedal is stil too far forward, requiring almost a 90 degree knee bend! My Cadillac STS almost allowed a straight leg operation! So does BMW. Why can't Lexus figure it out also. Just the small details.... But I love the GS..just could be better at the design level back in Japan...
\
Just an observation....
Old 03-05-01, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Grush - agreed, the GS is *still* no BMW 5-series. It's a different equation but one that does sell well remember. There are a lot more people who want the softer riding stock setup than want a performance one.

BMW has spent decades cultivating and developing for a performance-oriented audience. Lexus has been at it 3 years. You're right, they've got a lot to learn.

Having said that, my neighbor has a 540i with sport package and my GS with Lexus/Toyota mods will outhandle his car and I have no rubbing problems, no excessive wheel gap, etc. It can be done.

Old 03-23-01, 02:52 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I also believe the Bilstein/Eibach combo is sufficient for the street. Firm, but not too stiff, and quieter as far as tranferring road noise. I have the Tiens now because I need the adjustibility for the track.
Old 03-25-01, 07:52 AM
RacingAristo

Personally speaking, I don't think Eibach/Bilstein combo is stiff. Actually, I'd like it to be stiffer. From stock suspension to Eibach/Bilstein, you can feel the dramatic improve of handling. Less body roll, and easier to manuever. Also Bilstein carries Life-time warranty. No double it's better than L-Tuned which only carries 1 year. As you can see the quality between them from here.

I may sell my Eibach/Bilstein set mainly because of the same reason QBranchCars has. I need the adjustibility for the racing track too. If you are interested, send me an email or something.