Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen sways vs. TRD plus Tom's FLCB (review)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 09:40 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Daizen sways vs. TRD plus Tom's FLCB (review)

I decided to go with the TRD (blue) sways recently and bought them used from another CL member along with a Tom's FLCB (front lower chassis brace).
I like the ride quality with the Tein CS coilovers and the other mods I have, but wanted a bit more roll stiffness. First thing I noticed was how heavy the TRD front sway bar is! The rear bar bar was about the same as the Daizen (although the ends of the bar are different shape). The outside diameter of the front bars is about the same, but the wall thickness of the TRD tubing is obviously thicker. Heavier and stiffer than the Daizen.
For the rear bar, the end links had to be reversed (back to stock location?) due to the different dimensions compared to Daizen. I believe this has been mentioned in previous threads, not sure.
Also, the Tom's FLCB has a "fitment issue" on the front mounting bolts. The mounting flange does not have the proper shape to bolt up flush without hitting the two bolts on the trans. Needed a couple of spacers to avoid unwanted contact there (poor engineering IMO).
This brace is very nice other than that and substantially more stout than the puny stock one!
~Bottom line: with the FLCB and the TRD sways the car is much more flat in the corners and feels even more "buttoned down" than before. It was good before, but now it feels more stable and slightly more firm riding which is what I was looking for. The TRD sways did not degrade the ride quality as much as some people have suggested. Still totally acceptable when used with the Tein CS and other braces etc.
All thats left now is the Tom's 6 link (and the header install of course)
Old 11-22-05, 10:52 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the report . I definately will not be changing out my Daizen sways anytime soon but it sounds like the Toms FLCB might be a wise investment. Always wondered if it was worth it.
Old 11-22-05, 11:50 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

The GS really benefits from the additional chassis stiffening provided by the Tom's braces IMO. For example, there is a high speed sweeping turn on ramp to the fwy near my house with a couple of bumps in the middle. The car feels much more settled and "composed" going through at around 75-80 mph. Since you have the STB front and rear already, I would highly recommend the FLCB as well. They all work together...
Old 11-22-05, 12:03 PM
Lvangundy

Washers and or spacers are not optimal for that installation.

Review these threads for more info -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183818
Courtesy TM ENG.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172374
My experience.
Old 11-23-05, 11:19 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Thanks!

I had started to do some searching for past threads on this issue but didn't find the one by Todd M. Yes, I am aware of the compromise using spacers on the brace and only intend it to be a temporary solution. But thanks for raising the issue anyway. I like the idea of cutting and re-welding the center support-definitely the best solution IMO. Just need to find a good shop so they don't butcher it and make good welds etc.
BTW, my Tom's rear brace did not quite clear the Carson Tuned exhaust. It would touch just a little (but enough to hear) when I went over a sharp bump. My solution was to very slightly bend the exhaust hanger (the one on the car, not the exhaust) to provide about 1/4" inch clearance. Worked great!
Old 11-23-05, 11:38 AM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, if you have a 400 and the Tom's FLCB, cutting and rewelding the bar is DEFINITELY the way to go. Its more time and money, but its safer and better in my opinion. Since i also installed the control arm bushings, the washers wouldn't work anymore. After Todd fixed mines, I see how bad it was with the spacers, brace not sitting flush with frame and defeats the whole purpose of the brace. The first link that Lvangundy posted is my car at TM. Thanks Todd .

Tommy
Old 11-23-05, 12:46 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
Since i also installed the control arm bushings, the washers wouldn't work anymore. .

Tommy
Why did changing the bushings affect the spacers on the brace? At what mileage did you change out your bushings? Were they badly worn or damaged?
Old 11-23-05, 01:31 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Why did changing the bushings affect the spacers on the brace? At what mileage did you change out your bushings? Were they badly worn or damaged?
Because the bushings have a hole in the center for the bolt to go through and it has to sit flush with the brace. The Daizen bushing is not the same design and shape of the stock bushings. I had 160k on my old bushings and they were GONE. Too weak to even press out, had to burn off. Spacers work with the stock bushings, but if you have the Daizen bushings, you need to find some big spacers diameter wise to sit flush with the bushings and brace or modify the braces which is what i did. Hope this helps.

Tommy