Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front/rear sways and lower chassis brace installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-01, 12:53 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, so good. In normal driving the car is a little more stiff, especially when you hit speedbumps, but in general the quality of the ride is still intact. However, you REALLY notice the difference barreling through a corner! I took one of the access road turnarounds at 65MPH earlier and the car stuck like glue...no perceived body roll at all! Now I just want better side bolstering on the seats...
Old 07-27-01, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Way to go! Glad others are having the fun I am!
Old 07-27-01, 03:59 PM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Talking Kick ***!

Scott,

Glad to hear it man! You've got me all excited about mine now. On order from steve, should be showing up Mon. or Tues. Thanks for the post, and enjoy the new toys!

Rich
Old 07-27-01, 07:09 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up You're gonna love it

I keep wanting to head out to the garage to drive it again. The car just seems so right with these mods.

You are going to love it....

Peter
Old 07-29-01, 11:03 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Hmmmm....new perspective...

So after driving the car around this weekend with my wife and 0-2 friends in the back seat, I'm wondering whether I'm going to keep the TRD sways on. Don't get me wrong...with just me in the car I'm VERY happy with the overall ride, but with the added weight (and opinions) of others, the car has definitely lost quite a bit of its ride quality. Driving down roads with ANY imperfections is pretty uncomfortable, and going over speedbumps with the car loaded is flat out painful!

I'm going to drive for a week with them on, but I may yet decide to tuck my tail between my legs, admit I'm not a total race-head, and go back to the stock sways.

I'll keep you guys posted for those who are interested...
Old 07-29-01, 12:37 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

What kinda suspension you have? if you can, adjust the coilover into softest, that way the ride quality would be back a little. I have my sways for about 2 weeks now, and been driving with loaded people too, ( I HAVE 20''s), the ride is still comfortable, if not great. but for its add on performance handling, there is no way for me to go back stock and handle like a boat.

just my 02
Old 07-29-01, 12:48 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

My car is stock + L-Tuned springs, shocks, and steering ECU + TRD sways and lower chassis brace. Before the sways the L-Tuned suspension took a decent amount of the "boat"-ness out of the car without giving a harsh ride. If I have to go back to something, that'll be it...
Old 07-29-01, 05:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

SC - sorry to hear you're not thrilled with the sways. Every posting that I've made commenting about them I have tried to mention that the sway upgrade WILL degrade ride quality some (stiffer), while the L-Tuned springs/shocks really doesn't degrade the ride at all IMHO. But I *love* the flat cornering so much with the sways that there's NO way I'll go back.

Old 07-29-01, 09:14 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Bit, I'd read several of your posts about the stiffness of the ride and took that into account when I went that route. It's a small investment if I have to back out of it, so it would be acceptable.

Just to be COMPLETELY schizo, though, I drove to car more by myself today and really enjoy the handling. It's just so rough with passengers...
Old 07-29-01, 09:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SCWells72
Just to be COMPLETELY schizo, though, I drove to car more by myself today and really enjoy the handling. It's just so rough with passengers...
I guess I haven't experienced that really. I mean you really think it's rough, compared to say, a Ford Explorer SUV (not the newest version which is actually quite nice), or a 4Runner!? No way.

If your passengers really complain about being in a *****in' ride like you have, tell THEM to drive.
Old 07-30-01, 07:23 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Actually we have a 4Runner, too, and it absolutely doesn't feel like that! Also, don't worry, my passengers weren't *****ing. Their opinions were solicited and were generally in the vein of "it's definitely a harsher ride than before" or "it's not as comfortable as it was," not "dude, you've ruined your car!" or anything like that.

We'll see. I remember that the new suspension was an adjustment after the cushy luxo-barge feel. I'm hoping that this is just another adjustment...
Old 07-30-01, 11:17 AM
JacobT

Scott,

Do you think the GS with full suspension upgrade, the ride is stiffer than your Z3?
Old 07-30-01, 11:41 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Do you think the GS with full suspension upgrade, the ride is stiffer than your Z3?
If it's not, it's awfully close. For me, that's not a problem...it's great. However, the GS serves two purposes: 1) to allow me to cart around more than just a single passenger in comfort; 2) to allow me to have fun. I bought a sport sedan to reach both of these goals. If only (2) was a goal I probably would've gone with something like the new M3 (you *can* fit four, but not as comfortably as the GS) or the SC430. At this point I'm on the edge of losing the "in comfort" part of goal (1). Just the L-Tuned suspension didn't compromise that.

Again, I'm going to drive it for a week or two to decide whether it's just the delta I'm feeling or a real, noticeable decrease in ride quality.
Old 07-30-01, 04:33 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Scott? Do you know as of yet if you will be attending the Texas meet in Dallas on 8-18? Please visit the ClubMeetings board....Thanks, Tiny
Old 07-30-01, 04:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SCWells72
Again, I'm going to drive it for a week or two to decide whether it's just the delta I'm feeling or a real, noticeable decrease in ride quality.
I can tell you now, there is a real, noticeable decrease in ride quality. However, rip round a highway exit, or take a 90 degree turn somewhere, and you'll realize how great the sways are. Like all things, cars are a compromise. The 540i w/ sport package is probably the best compromise of performance and handling ever made. The GS is more in the comfort zone from the factory and can be made to outhandle a 540i with what you and I have done, but at a price in comfort.

Anyway, even if you do take out the sways, I doubt you'll have any trouble selling them.

Quick Reply: Front/rear sways and lower chassis brace installed