Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS still in production for 2nd Gen GS?

Old 11-07-05, 06:27 PM
merlin70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tein CS still in production for 2nd Gen GS?

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been gone over but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Is Tein discontinuing the CS coil overs for GS's? I seem to recall someone saying to get them now before they aren't available? Tein's website still lists them and doesn't say anything about discontinuing, but then again the site isn't the greatest.

I think I want to go the CS route with my 03 430 but I want to wait till later next year. But I don't want to wait only to find I won't be able to get them new anymore. Does anyone know what the deal is?
Old 11-08-05, 08:44 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I spoke with Tein personnel at their SEMA booth last week. The situation for the CS for the LS430 is that they are re-designing it and switching over to a steel shock body (instead of aluminum). Part of the reason is to reduce the wholesale/retail price. As part of the redesign they are making some internal changes which they claim will improve the performance of the unit. They didn't say it directly, but I got the impression that the internal changes are partly to make it quieter. I asked the Tein guy, If you had an LS430, would you go find a current aluminum-body CS kit, or wait for the new one? He said he'd wait for the new one because it will be better.

They indicated that the new kit won't be available until well into 2006. I didn't ask about the CS for the GS, but I assume the situation may be the same all around.
Old 11-08-05, 08:50 AM
Lvangundy

It sounds to me like vendors are making a big deal out of a model being phased out by pushing sales without mentioning a new product on the horizon. If this is in fact true (above) then it's good to hear that potential buyers might possibly be able to wait for something better than CS. Vendors push old, then new to make sales.
Old 11-08-05, 07:53 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
It sounds to me like vendors are making a big deal out of a model being phased out by pushing sales without mentioning a new product on the horizon. If this is in fact true (above) then it's good to hear that potential buyers might possibly be able to wait for something better than CS. Vendors push old, then new to make sales.
Yeah sounds like a bunch of sales pitch, and what can be better then the lightweight aluminum setup.
Old 11-08-05, 08:41 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to SEMA too and almost word for word got the same response about the CS being replaced. We were asking this about the GS, so pretty much you can assume the CS will be replaced across the board.

If the price will be less and "IF" the performance is equal or better than the current model, everybody wins.

We'll just have to wait N see.

Now as far as the new "Mono Flex " model, Yes, I said MONO FLEX ! From what the Tein rep said, it will def. be an interesting comparison to the current FLEX model. It doesn't replace it, it is supposed to be somewhat of a higher performance variant of the regular Flex. A different system which uses a mono tube design.

It will be released in the summer of 06, but currently no Lexus application offered. If they do offer it for Lexus down the road, I might be first in line to try em.

On a side note, it was a kick on Friday night after the show closed cause a lot of the show cars were going around town for a quick spin before going back in the trailers.

I actually saw the Tein 06 Honda Civic SI going down by Fremont street.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-08-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

personally i am not sure if the new CS will be "better". the current cs is more expensive, aluminum, and it's lighter. less unsprung weight, that sounds good to me. maybe the new cs is better with more tech inside, but who knows

and i think it's unfair to blame the vendors.. as far as i know, a lot of vendors they only heard rumors baout the new cs, you can't expect them to spread the rumors, they got a deal from tein usa and they just sell what they can

just my 2 cents for me, i am sticking to what i hve unless i get a new car
Old 11-09-05, 11:43 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

usually when a company redesigns something that already works fine, it's to save THEMSEVLES money. I can say that the aluminum CS weigh MUCH(maybe half the weight) less than stock shocks.
Old 11-09-05, 08:20 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tein Rep also talked about some tweeks to the spring rate and possibly the dampening. Look at the 2006 Tein catalog and you will see the spring rates on the CS are TBD. This is more than just a material change.

As far as reducing price, EVERY good enterprise will do what they can to reduce price while offering equal or better performance. It keeps them competitive or ahead of other similar competing products out there.

Ever hear of Xbox vs PS2 ?

Like I said , lets wait N see.