Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will Bilstein PSS sovle my rubbing ish??

Old 10-30-05, 11:48 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Will Bilstein PSS sovle my rubbing ish??

I just lowered my GS on Lsportline springs/Bilstein shox and now have a rubbing issue with my 19'fat setup..I didnt expect a 2in drop but thats what I got.I ordered the Bilstein PSS Coilovers this morning and hope this will resolve my rubbing.It happens with body roll only..ie hard cornering and medium dips..Other than that the ride is superb..nicely firm and luxurious still..Hopefully that ride is the same with the coilovers..Any help is appreciated as I read quite a few threads and decided on the Bilsteins over the Tein CS..Hopefully I chose wisely..And now a few pix of the drop..

Old 10-30-05, 12:00 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
I just lowered my GS on Lsportline springs/Bilstein shox and now have a rubbing issue with my 19'fat setup..I didnt expect a 2in drop but thats what I got.I ordered the Bilstein PSS Coilovers this morning and hope this will resolve my rubbing.It happens with body roll only..ie hard cornering and medium dips..Other than that the ride is superb..nicely firm and luxurious still..Hopefully that ride is the same with the coilovers..Any help is appreciated as I read quite a few threads and decided on the Bilsteins over the Tein CS..Hopefully I chose wisely..And now a few pix of the drop..

i have the same coils and toy t1r and my rear tire is 285/30/19 and i am 1 finger in the rear and never rub

whats your offset on rim it sounds like a offset problem
Old 10-30-05, 01:31 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Lexforlife..the offsets are 19x8.5 front with a 35mm offset
19x9.5 rear with a 42mm offset on TOYO t1r FAT SETUP
Old 10-30-05, 01:37 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Lexforlife..the offsets are 19x8.5 front with a 35mm offset
19x9.5 rear with a 42mm offset on TOYO t1r FAT SETUP

with that offset on the rear and fat you will rub unless you trim the inner fender lip

the toyo have a beefy shoulder
Old 10-30-05, 02:42 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
with that offset on the rear and fat you will rub unless you trim the inner fender lip

the toyo have a beefy shoulder
Wow, the Toyos are really fat then. I've seen x10 +42 with no rubbing. I thought that the rubbing might be more in the front. You wouldneed to do some minor rolling of the lip. I don't think anything can be done about the top of the wheelwell lining, other than raising the car.
Old 10-30-05, 03:18 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Originally Posted by Neo
Wow, the Toyos are really fat then. I've seen x10 +42 with no rubbing. I thought that the rubbing might be more in the front. You wouldneed to do some minor rolling of the lip. I don't think anything can be done about the top of the wheelwell lining, other than raising the car.
Actually it is more in the front..Also its a slight quick rub..Kinda hard to describe but not a hard long grinding sound.Hard cornering causes, it bumps dont..
Old 10-30-05, 03:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I have 10 +42 in rear with 275/35-19s and no rubbing.

lexforlife, the 275/35 GSXLEX and I have is almost an inch taller than your 285/30 which is why we have a greater chance to rub.

GSXLEX - Bilstein PSS coilovers are fairly stiff (and EXCELLENT I might add) so I doubt you'll rub.
Old 10-30-05, 03:33 PM
Neo
The One

Actually it is more in the front..Also its a slight quick rub..Kinda hard to describe but not a hard long grinding sound.Hard cornering causes, it bumps dont..
Take a look at the top of the wheel well liner (if you can). Also, look at the black trim at the fender lip. Do either of those show rub marks?
Old 10-30-05, 04:06 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tod, I told you that L-SPORTLINE was going to be really low! I remember that day we were talking and you thought L-Tuned and L-SPORTLINE were the same thing, I was like OH NO! Lol the car looks great and your issue is very minor.

I don't think you have an issues with rubbing, as much as you do with "touching" ie, your front tires are touching the plastic inner liner. This occurs on lowered cars with 20" wheels (your overall diamter is the same as a 20") and 2" or so lowering. You only experience it on dips because the suspension compresses more (its sort of a "shh, shhh" sound I'd imagine).

You can take a look for yourself like Neo and Bit recommended, but I would do some investigation before buying new "suspenders" the car looks GREAT btw.
Old 10-30-05, 04:18 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

In response to NEO and Derrick...There are NO rub marks on the rear and these are pics of the fronts

It seems that the plastic is actually giving way and I cant feel anything behind it.As I said there is nothing on the rear although I thought I heard it on a hard right turn.The sound is as Derrick described..
Old 10-30-05, 05:56 PM
Neo
The One

In response to NEO and Derrick...There are NO rub marks on the rear and these are pics of the fronts
Well, I was not expecting any problems on the rear fender lip with your setup. The front is what I expected to see after you described the problem.

I don't see pics of the top of the fender liner but I would bet that is where you are hearing the rub noise. At some point (if not already), if you take the wheels off, you will see a hole at the top of the fender liner. That is one thing you won't be able to do much about. The PSS might help if the springs are stiffer.

As for the front fender lip, you will need to roll it. You can already see the middle part already bent. You just need to roll more if it. There is 2 (or was it 3 ) metal tabs on the inside too. Bend those up and tuck the fender liner behind it. It may also help to get a heat gun and heat up that liner on the inside towards the liner. Use a towel to push that heated liner into the fender more. This will create a little more room for you.

Believe me. Many of us who have 20s have already gone through this.
Old 10-30-05, 06:06 PM
njgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GSXLEX I like those pieces on top of the windows. Do they cut down on the air nose? Please tell me where i can purchase them and are they easy to install.

Thanx
Old 10-31-05, 03:22 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Originally Posted by Neo
Well, I was not expecting any problems on the rear fender lip with your setup. The front is what I expected to see after you described the problem.

I don't see pics of the top of the fender liner but I would bet that is where you are hearing the rub noise. At some point (if not already), if you take the wheels off, you will see a hole at the top of the fender liner. That is one thing you won't be able to do much about. The PSS might help if the springs are stiffer.

As for the front fender lip, you will need to roll it. You can already see the middle part already bent. You just need to roll more if it. There is 2 (or was it 3 ) metal tabs on the inside too. Bend those up and tuck the fender liner behind it. It may also help to get a heat gun and heat up that liner on the inside towards the liner. Use a towel to push that heated liner into the fender more. This will create a little more room for you.

Believe me. Many of us who have 20s have already gone through this.
At this moment the top of the liner shows no rubs either..I do think after closer inspection,feedback and less panic That this may be minor if not normal.Ill try NEO's mehtod.The coilovers will be here Friday and installed Saturday.I guess it wasnt a waste of moneysince Ive heard good things about the Bilsteins.I actually love the ride now and decided against any further suspension mods as I dont feel the need....Well..maybe new Daizen bushings.. ..Man I love this forum..so many been there done that issues and a wealth of help..Thanx Derrick also for support after the sale!
Old 10-31-05, 11:16 AM
Neo
The One

At this moment the top of the liner shows no rubs either.
I am surprised with your setup but I won't question the car gods for blessing it somehow.
Old 11-02-05, 08:39 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Originally Posted by Neo
I am surprised with your setup but I won't question the car gods for blessing it somehow.
You jinxed me.. I looked today and there is a small hole on the front drivers side.. Looks like it barely went thru..Any problems from that??Anyway shes been parked the last 2 days And Im driving the gas hog(Montero)..Coilovers Friday!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Bilstein PSS sovle my rubbing ish??