Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front chassis brace with new bushings - WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 01:01 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tom's Front chassis brace with new bushings - WARNING!!!

If anyone is running the Tom's front chassis brace, I guess some people are having problems with it fitting on the V8 cars. I just today looked and saw that people are using washers to space it down, this (which isn't even the point of this thread) is probably not a good idea, as it causes concentrated stress on areas that are meant to be tightened down securely, and spread the load across a larger area. I suppose if you had some very very large diameter washers it would be somewhat ok, but still it will cause other bad stress on the mounting points, as you are now having the brace sit at the wrong angle in relation to everything else. This type of stress can cause the brace's mounting areas to crack. The Tom's rears have a problem like this very frequently, and that's even when they are installed as designed!

Not here to debate this, but just a pretty objective thing I wanted to throw out there. Dont' bother to argue about it in this thread, as that's not even the point of this thread! I just wanted to make people aware of what they are doing and the possible consequences.

And on to the actual topic.....................................

As posted above, there are some with washers to space the brace down. This is not a very good situation if you are going to install the new Daizen bushings, as the strut rod bushing needs to have a somewhat broad, mostly flat area at the top and bottom where it sits. If you have a washer, obviously this is not a broad or flat area. This can cause a problem with the bushing sliding up and down, or the arm moving around. This can also possibly cause damage to the bushing over time.

I had a customer come in with his GS400 with the brace installed like this, another shop put a BUNCH of washers on it and I was like....HUH????? He told me that's what everyone did on the V8 cars and I was shocked. I told him that there was a more correct solution for it, so I got the go-ahead to fix everything. Now THAT is the moral of this thread...

Here is how the brace looks as installed on a V8 car. Note (as everyone probably already knows), it is hitting the bolts holding the access panel for the torque converter. It is also to a lesser degree touching the housing on either side of that same opening.

So what did we do? I cut the crossbar off, and relocated it further up

A little bit of non matching paint and it's good to go

Obviously just by looking, you can see that any interference is eliminated. There is a marginal degree of bracing strength that is lost by moving the bar forward, but it is very minimal.

NOTE!!! Warning that the material is pretty thin, so anyone who welds it will have to be very careful to have good control of heat so as not to burn through. Make sure it is someone who can weld good, as this will crack for sure if they are not adequately done. Hopefully mine hold!!!

Good fitment of the pieces before welding helps a lot too, both for strength and for cosmetic results. If I had more time I could have fit the pieces a little better and had some better results, but at least you can see what is required to do this.

I guess even without the bushings this would be a worthwhile modification for anyone with this particular brace.

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 10-22-05 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-21-05, 05:25 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of us are fortunate to not have this problem. My 2004 GS430 did not have any interference issues with the Tom's front lower chassis brace - thus no mods needed.
Old 10-21-05, 05:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when i first installed mine , i had it just ever so slightly touching , i too posted quite some time ago about the dangers of using washers as spacers and how it would weaken the overall design , so what i did and mentioned to teelex a long time ago was made 2 very very slight divots at that point so the nut would not touch.. the divots would not compromise the strctual integ of the overall brace if the divot was made sort of oval vs round.. i have had this for well over a year with no issues and no signs of fatigue and that i know for sure for when i replaced the bushings and removed the brace for install i repainted the brace the toms red
Old 10-21-05, 06:36 AM
Lvangundy

I know who's car you're referring to. The shop that installed the TOMs brace did not remove the stock mounting points for the stock frame bar. This person had A TON of washers here as it was described by him.

I told him that the stock mount should be removed to fit the TOMs brace on. From there, you need 2 spacers on every mount point, even then it's NOT an optimal installation.

Todd, lucky you have a nice welding machine available, I would have already done the same thing. Cut and re-weld.
Old 10-21-05, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

damn, talk about the right way to do things!

so i guess when i get my gs430 i know exactly what to do
Old 10-21-05, 02:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
So what did we do? I cut the crossbar off, and relocated it further up
VERY impressive! Creativity and talent will overcome all obstacles.
Old 10-21-05, 03:28 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info! Thanks, Todd.

Add another item on my list of things to do.
Old 10-21-05, 06:29 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
Great info! Thanks, Todd.

Add another item on my list of things to do.
Hey man don't copy!

Just kidding!!
Old 10-29-05, 06:44 PM
jaja
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom, is this your ride? This is what you were telling me at Starbucks isn't it? Nice job TM Engineering....
Old 10-29-05, 10:34 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Todd, that car looks familar..... Just an update for everyone else also. I just got new BFGoodrich tires and just got an alignment done today. Just in time for my drive up north again this Sunday. All I can say is.. WOW... The car totally feels more responsive and like a new car again. BIG THANKS goes out to Todd at TM for all the hard work done on my car. For all the people that have high mileage on their cars, these bushings are a MUST.
Old 10-29-05, 10:36 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaja
Hey Tom, is this your ride? This is what you were telling me at Starbucks isn't it? Nice job TM Engineering....
This is my ride.