Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed Bilstein PSS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 05:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Installed Bilstein PSS

Hey guys, I got my Bilstein PSS installed over the weekend by D2 (Gazi) brother's shop. He does excellent work on our cars and I highly recommend him. Ok, back to my impressions. Well I was crossing my fingers hoping that the Bilstein PSS coilovers would give me the ride and handeling that I was looking for. specifically a BMW type ride and handeling. To my amazement, this set up is everything I wanted in a coilover set up. The ride is almost stock but a bit stiffer and more solid. NYC has some big pot holes, and these coilover went over them better than stock. It absorbed the bumps well, and felt solid at that. The ride is so much like a BMW with the sports package, tight and secure with no rock and roll like stock. The handeling is amazing with this setup as well. I could take corners much faster than stock and with confidence. I was on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn on Sunday, and there is this sharp hairpin turn at the Sunrise highway exit. On the stock suspensiion, the car would lean considerably, and I would have to take the turn slow. Now with the Bilstein coilovers, I took the same corner at a higher rate of speed with confidence and no body roll. For $850.00 and a life time warranty from Bilstein, these coilovers are a steal. I will use the extra cash I saved from purchasing the $1100 .00 Teins for other mods. I highly recommend them, and would buy them again if I have to.
Old 10-18-05, 07:24 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

congrats on the install..welcome to the bilstein club .. they are great ... but in about 2weeks or so the ride will get firmer as the dampers settle in and find their range.. davegs4 and i both have ours dropped as low as they go and after a month or so the ride did get firmer but by no means stiff

i am thinking about selling mine soon and try out the teins super street dampers with the 16way setting and use the edfc...
Old 10-18-05, 09:44 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the setup. I did hear that the ride gets a little stiffer but since Ed has it and confirms it, that is even better than my hearsay. Ride quality issues is a personal thing. Everyone's tolerance is different. How you feel on the "honeymoon" is different than living with it for awhile. When I first got my Tein Flex, I loved the handling and thought the ride was not that bad. After living with it as a daily driver for awhile, I grew to be less enamoured with the system. Some people love it but it was just not for me. I sold it, got the CS and have not looked back.

Again, it is all personal tolerance and I hope the PSS stays (for you) as good of a system as it is now.
Old 10-19-05, 05:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexforlife
congrats on the install..welcome to the bilstein club .. they are great ... but in about 2weeks or so the ride will get firmer as the dampers settle in and find their range.. davegs4 and i both have ours dropped as low as they go and after a month or so the ride did get firmer but by no means stiff

i am thinking about selling mine soon and try out the teins super street dampers with the 16way setting and use the edfc...
I want to thank you and dave for helping pick these hot coilovers. Right now I have a 3 finger gap all around. I cranked the front 12 turns and the rear 8 turns from the intial settings from bilstein. I want that to finger gap. Should I crank down more, or will it eventually drop more on its own?
Old 10-19-05, 05:38 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I want to thank you and dave for helping pick these hot coilovers. Right now I have a 3 finger gap all around. I cranked the front 12 turns and the rear 8 turns from the intial settings from bilstein. I want that to finger gap. Should I crank down more, or will it eventually drop more on its own?

no problem bro , glad to have helped in some way

right now my front is down to barely 1 finger and 1 tiny thread left.. my rears have a tad bit over a finer to keep a back to front rake look... you can crank the front all the way down and it will settle just where i descibed above..

as i also mentioned before the ride will get firmer in the coming days/weeks as the dampers find their range.. the handling on these things are truly incredible... the faster you go to say speeds in excees of triple digits it seems to get tighter and tighter

enjoy those coils bro
Old 10-19-05, 09:23 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

after i read this i went to look for the same coils. turns out u posted in the wring place. got me all excited... im like there are no bilstein coils for the SC...nor supra at that...
Old 10-19-05, 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Congrats, sure you'll be pleased. I think mine did get a tad stiffer once they settled (and I lowered down to bottom rung.

Originally Posted by kietlander
after i read this i went to look for the same coils. turns out u posted in the wring place. got me all excited... im like there are no bilstein coils for the SC...nor supra at that...
Good eye. I read this earlier and didn't even notice that, sorry for the disappointment. Moved.
Old 10-19-05, 10:17 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife

i just ordered the tein ss/edfc gonna have them in my hands on monday..I should have them installed within the week . I'll tell you how it goes.

congrats sean on the bilsteinsss

Last edited by GSoup; 10-19-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-19-05, 02:10 PM
LexusIV
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the coilovers, but you forgot one thing...

Pictures!

As you know we here on CL love pictures and for you to unveil a new mod to your car and not post pictures or even give us a time as to when you will post pictures is a great disappointment to all of us.

J/k but really would like to see some pics when you get a chance.
Old 10-19-05, 02:51 PM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are these in comparison with the tein ss? I just ordered them yesterday...
Old 10-19-05, 03:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Glad you are loving the suspension! When I drove my GS400 with stock suspension and 16s for the first time, I could not believe how loose and unstable the stock suspension was! It actually felt unsafe!

Keep one thing in mind, your ride is still very comfy because you have stock sized tires and such. When I had my TEINs and 16s, my ride was really good, but add some 20's in the mix and things change, ESPECIALLY in Brooklyn!

Good luck man, and yes, pics or die!
Old 10-20-05, 07:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, sorry guys pics will be coming. I will have the NYC crew take pics for me.
Old 10-20-05, 10:00 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I'm actually looking into Bilstein PSS for my 99 GS 400 as well. $850 sounds reasonable. Where do you get them from?
Old 10-20-05, 10:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
I'm actually looking into Bilstein PSS for my 99 GS 400 as well. $850 sounds reasonable. Where do you get them from?
www.shox.com Thanks to DaveGS4 for putting me on to these
Old 10-29-05, 05:03 PM
00GS400
Driver School Candidate

How low can you go on these without messing up the chamber. thanks

Quick Reply: Installed Bilstein PSS