Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front end vibration and loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 09:35 AM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end vibration and loud noise

hi everyone:

i did a search and can only find info on the 2nd gen GS series so if you have links to relevant info i would gladly read the threads.

i have a 1993 GS300 with 211k miles.

there is a vibration in the front end. pushing and pulling on the top and bottom of the tire produces no movement or noise. moving the tire left to right produces motion and noise. on the right side of the car i hear a noise when i push with my left hand and pull with my right hand, but i dont hear a noise the other way. i can feel the tire moving though so i am sure there an issue there.

the noise i hear does not seem to be coming from the tie rods or the lower balljoints but i dunno. hard to push and listen at the same time. the questions:

if i change the tie rod ends and ball joints will i be ok? i am not sure if the wheel bearing is gone but i doubt it since there is no movement up and down, only left and right.

also, what does Lexus call the castor arm(from reading here it seems there is an issue with naming)? do you guys have the model number?

i will do a road force and alignment, but at this time i am pretty sure there are parts that need to be changed since i can move the wheel when it is jacked up.

there is a crunching type noise on the left side of the car when the height of the left suspension changes in a turn. i was told this noise was the strut mounts by a toyota repair shop owner (he also owns a lexus and a supra as well so i figured he had been up close and personal with this problem) so i changed them. the noise is still there. any ideas?

thanks for your time,
Kevin