Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway Bars: TRD versus Tanabe

Old 10-11-05, 04:03 PM
Streamline
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bars: TRD versus Tanabe

I'm looking at sway bars, and I need some input.

http://www.suprastore.com/trdfronandre.html
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/stabilizers/#

For the TRD sway bars (front and rear):
What is the material of the bars? Chromeoly Steel or steel?
How much stiffer than stock? (Suprastore claims to be 27% stiffer)
What are the outer diameter of the bars?
What are the weight of the bars?

For the Tanabe sway bars (front and rear):
I know it is made from Chromoeoly Steel.
Don't know how much stiffer than stock.
Don't know the outer diameter measurements.
What are the weight of the bars?

I'm not looking at the any other bars at this time. I know the Daizen bars are a popular choice, but a lot of people seem to choose that bar because it is the biggest/thickest/stiffest available. Personally, I don't care for these bars. I know what I'm looking for, and just because it is the thickest...doesn't cut it for me. I'm looking for a performance package that suits me, my driving style and the intended application. Seems like a lot of people don't know much about HOW their suspension works and what variables will be affected when changes are made.

And I also know that Titan makes a set of sway bars as well. I may be interested in these, but I want to know about the TRD and the Tanabe right now.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-11-05, 07:42 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i haven't researched this enough yet but you should also look into the Do Luck sways.....they're what Ueno uses on his D1GP drift soarer so I imagine that if someone with his experience chooses them, they must be good. Another thing to consider is chromoly sways may be lighter than steel sways....and with these cars, lighter parts is a good thing.

Okuyama also makes sways that are slightly larger than OEM...need to dig p more info on those as well..
Old 10-11-05, 10:07 PM
Streamline
Pole Position

roo

Thanks for the reply. I should speak to you when I call your office. I always talk to Richard when I call. haha.

The Do Luck bars are too much money for what you're really getting. http://www.do-luck-usa.com/products.html?auto=JZZ30 Per the MSRP, that is nearly $500 per bar! For that price, I can purchase the TRD and Tanabe bars and still have money left over. At nearly $1k for the set, that is not worth it in my opinion. $1k for a set of sway bars can't possibly offer that much performance over a set of sways in the $300 - $400 range. Even IF the price of the Do Luck bars are $600+, it still will not match the amount of performance you get from the other bars. The Titan Motorsports sway bars...I will pay for. But anything else above that threshold...I can't justify.

I want chromoly sway bars. That is why I asked about what material the TRD bars are made from. Tanabe and Titan both use chromoly in their bars. Just need to confirm TRD.

Then, I want to know the weight of the bars itself, along w/ the outside diameter of the bar. The inside diameter will be a little difficult to get that info from the manufacturer...

I've already had my car corner weighed. I'm incorporating this info w/ the way I want my car to be set up. The SC will NEVER be the lightest car at the track. I know that. Removing excess weight is one thing, but removing weight at the wrong places (where it affects handling and weight distribution) is another. I'd rather my car be a well balanced machine, one that handles and moves the way that I want it to.

I'm also looking to see if Cusco or another manufacturer makes a titanium strut bar. They make it for the FD3S and the Skyline, but I'm not sure if they make it for the Supra just yet. The TRD strut bar is beefy. I like it. But if I can get away w/ using a titanium strut bar and still have the same amount of strength...I'd rather go titanium.

roo, I'll be calling the office some time. I'll make a point of speaking w/ you.

Dom
Old 10-11-05, 11:04 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Mongo runs the Do Luck sways maybe he can chime in.
Old 10-11-05, 11:14 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

To the original poster: What is your rationale for not choosing Daizens? Are there any other sway bars designed specifically for the sc chassis?
Old 10-11-05, 11:24 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by verylost
To the original poster: What is your rationale for not choosing Daizens? Are there any other sway bars designed specifically for the sc chassis?
He said they're not that good, that people that buy them don't really know how their suspension works.
Old 10-11-05, 11:42 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

MikeFD3S (I think that's right) works for Tanabe and he has had the Tanabe sways since at least May. I've tried to contact him several times to see if he had installed them but he never answers me. Maybe you'll have some luck?
Old 10-12-05, 12:12 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
He said they're not that good, that people that buy them don't really know how their suspension works.

Hi Todd,

Since you sell them and I bought them from you, could you help me understand why they aren't that good?
Old 10-12-05, 12:25 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
Hi Todd,

Since you sell them and I bought them from you, could you help me understand why they aren't that good?
It's an accusation by the thread creater. Nothing is proven. And Streamline hasn't explained why he thinks so.
Old 10-12-05, 01:00 AM
bjchapman
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Hi Todd,

Since I also bought my Daizen bars from Todd, I would be interested in hearing Todd's response

Brad
Old 10-12-05, 01:13 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

Todd

I never said that they're not that good. There is a lot of positive feedback for Daizen, we can all agree on this. And while Daizen is the thickest (not including the TRD race bar) on the market, (to use an analogy) I'm not looking to use a bazooka when I can get away w/ a small rifle.

If you don't mind me asking, how much stiffer than stock are the Daizen bars? What are the outer diameter of the bars? What are the weight of the bars?

I think the Daizen bars would be comparable to the Titan Motorsports sway bars. Both offer adjustability, and are more aggressive than the TRD sway bars. Not sure if I'm going to go this route yet, as my main focus is on the TRD versus Tanabe. I'm focusing on these two first, but if I were to go for a more aggressive setup, it would be between Daizen and Titan. This reminds me, now I have to get data on the Titan sway bars...

I'm not saying that Daizen is a bad product. I'm merely saying that I don't currently believe it suits my driving style/needs. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I'm taking a slow approach w/ my car. Examining every little modification and running tests as often as possible, hence that is why I had my car corner weighed in stock condition. I plan to play around w/ certain things and see the data I come up with. It'll cost me more money for things such as dyno runs, etc...but I'll be happier w/ the outcome that way. That, and I could just be a bit nuts.

Last edited by Streamline; 10-12-05 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-12-05, 01:14 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

Originally Posted by indelible
MikeFD3S (I think that's right) works for Tanabe and he has had the Tanabe sways since at least May. I've tried to contact him several times to see if he had installed them but he never answers me. Maybe you'll have some luck?
I know MIke. I have his number and have left messages. No return calls either.
Old 10-12-05, 01:21 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Streamline
Todd

If you don't mind me asking, how much stiffer than stock are the Daizen bars? What are the outer diameter of the bars? What are the weight of the bars?

I think the Daizen bars would be comparable to the Titan Motorsports sway bars. Both offer adjustability, and are more aggressive than the TRD sway bars.
Todd is probably in bed so I can help answer some of your questions by quoting Todd:

"The Daizen bars we offer have several advantages over this. First and foremost, they were designed FOR an SC, not a Supra. They are also designed to balance the chassis of an SC and have been fitted and tested on an SC. Secondly, they are hollow. 35mm dia, and hollow, with a little over 100% increase in stiffness. The bar is somewhere around 8 lbs if I recall correctly."

The above quote was taken from here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=29
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=sway

The Titan bars may be similar but if they are anything like the TRD bars, they may be dangerously close to the oil filter.

I am curious as to what your thoughts are because I find your thoughts and grasp of the English language to be quite refreshing.
Old 10-12-05, 01:58 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bjchapman
Quote:
Hi Todd,

Since I also bought my Daizen bars from Todd, I would be interested in hearing Todd's response

Brad
Ummm it was a joke!

Well I hear it every day why some person "knows" why because a bar is a certain size, whether it's bigger, smaller, whatever, that is isn't as good as this next one. Then they start going off on how they know that the diameter causes this or that behavior. In reality, when designing a bar, the diameter only plays a partial role in things, so by simply saying the diameter of one bar is not good, you are already proving that you don't know as much as you are making it seem. There is no way to know just from a diameter measurement how one bar will behave versus another.

This is why the statements in the first post are very misleading and cause more misinformation to be spread by others who just repeat what they hear.
Old 10-12-05, 02:06 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Streamline
I never said that they're not that good. There is a lot of positive feedback for Daizen, we can all agree on this. And while Daizen is the thickest (not including the TRD race bar) on the market, (to use an analogy) I'm not looking to use a bazooka when I can get away w/ a small rifle.

This is just my point, you can't even compare manufacturers' stiffness ratings, they are all over the place and are completely not relevant to each other.

While these may seem huge, they are in reality not so crazily stiff, some of the decision on the size may have been a psychological issue, with a large bar with thin wall thickness, which would be the same thing as a smaller bar with a thicker wall thickness, or an even thinner solid bar. All 3 would behave the same as far as torsional resistance.

Yes though I do understand that some situations require more or less bar depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sway Bars: TRD versus Tanabe