Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

is there a sticky for brake pad selection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 07:30 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a sticky for brake pad selection?

can't find anything cohesive in a search here

we bought a used 99 gs400 with 20" wheels. it has new powerslot rotors and what the mechanic though were hawk brake pads, and new fluid. but unfortunately it had stock brake lines which need to be replaced eventually.

this is the problem... when cold, they work great. but as they heat up they start to become difficult to modulate and i often find myself braking too late. furthermore is the squealing noise... under moderate stop and go traffic, it gets louder as it gets hotter, and stepping on it harder makes for a grinding sensation. also, pedal effort is high, especially when going to our other lexus (rx300).

should i go back to stock pads? or is there another good aftermarket brand someone can recommend that provides good braking without heavy dusting/eating up rotors/noise? all i could find was stay away from KVR and ebc greens.

thanks...
Old 09-06-05, 09:01 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow tough crowd... um, maybe can u guys tell me what pads u are running, and why u would recommend them?
Old 09-06-05, 01:49 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm using Brake Best Premium pads from O'reilly's Auto Parts. They are ceramic and put off very very little dust. A definite improvement from the other pads that were on there. I'm not sure if you can purchase these....it seems they only have stores in the southern U.S. and their website doesnt seem to offer online shopping.