Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 03:44 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howie, did Todd do the work for you? PM me if you'd rather discuss in private
Old 09-12-05, 04:59 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well fixed the issue today right after i got off work. before the driver side was about 5threads higher than the passenger side on the coilovers. now that i made both side of the endlinks face up i noticed that both sides are even now. well almost. the driver side is still about 2-3mm lower than the passenger. better than before 3/4inch.
Old 09-12-05, 08:01 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what's up mike. yeah, i decided to just to have todd do my rear bushings. i've been real busy, so i just wanted him to do it, especially since it seems like people are having problems with the installation. todd did a good job with it and my car doesn't squeek anymore. i like my car 100x more now than i did a few weeks ago. i also put in some tokico shocks with one of my buddies.
Old 09-14-05, 11:24 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

howiedoit,

interesting you are posting this. after i dropped my car, i noticed my drivers side slightly lower then my right. enough to the point that it bothers me. i though it was just the springs but maybe i'll take a closer look at the sways endlinks.
Old 09-14-05, 01:43 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

just so you know, my car is still slightly lopsided. the driver's side is maybe 0.5" lower...barely noticable. when i had the end link problem, it was a lot more lopsided.
Old 09-14-05, 02:48 PM
advan7
Pole Position

Well I checked my rear endlinks because my drivers side is lower than the passenger side, but both are in the up position. I didn't get a chance to look at the ones in the front, but could that also have an effect as well?

My drivers side front tire rubs like crazy, but the passenger is ok.
Old 09-14-05, 07:43 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

so technically... one could adjust both sides (left and right & front and back) of the end links and lower their car about an inch all around? we'll just call this the..... "urban" way to lower a car. is it possible?
Old 09-14-05, 07:53 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

i think the wrong positioning of the end links didn't lower my car. and because one was up and one was down, it interfered with the shock assembly and it raised one side of the car. i wouldn't suggest moving the end links out of the position that it's supposed to be in.
Old 09-15-05, 03:04 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by actuary
The repair manual shows them like the red line you have in your picture.
well if the manual says the endlink is suppose to be in the up position then i'll just follow what the manual says. even though both side were facing down and i made them face up they still didnt hit the strut.
Old 10-17-05, 08:41 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by howiedoit
i think the wrong positioning of the end links didn't lower my car. and because one was up and one was down, it interfered with the shock assembly and it raised one side of the car. i wouldn't suggest moving the end links out of the position that it's supposed to be in.
A thumbs up for your found solution! I had the same problem and thought about switching to coilover for adjustment. However, I believe your finding would solve my uneven height problem. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.
Old 10-22-05, 01:05 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

hey bro im about to fix my car this weekend, i just removed both my rear tires and I'm gonna check it out, i have no finger gap on the drivers side and like 3 or 4 gap in the passenger side, I hope I fix it, i'll check back here and let you guys know the results.
Old 11-17-05, 10:35 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

pilip99, what happened man? I think I have this same damn issue now.

I was driving into this strip mall last night to get some food and I had to kind of angle my car up the driveway because it was steep. I'm guessing this loaded up my driver's side suspension and next thing I know I hear a "thwang!" and I'm like "wtf?" so I park and get out to inspect my car. I immediately notice that my driver's side is slammed and my passenger side is riding about an inch higher than it was previously. How did this happen??

This morning I jacked my car up and looked around and didn't see anything strange so I lowered the car back down to the groubd and now it seems fine. I'm wondering if by jacking the car up it allowed gravity to pull the wheel back down and free up the sway bar from the strut. I guess this weekend when i have the time I'll get back under the car and flip the endlinks around like Howie's are now.

Howie, hit me up if you're free this weekend. I just want you to take a look and tell me if it's what we think it is
Old 11-17-05, 02:01 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After I repositioned the swaybar links to the up position for all 4 corners, the result of lower driver side and higher passenger side is "still the same". Nothing changed as some of you have mentioned. I also carefully tried to find the solution. Both front links have to be the same "Up", otherwise, they wouldn't fit the sway bar. Both rear links can either be the same "Up" or "Down" at the same time; otherwise, they wouldn't fit the rear swaybar either. So it's not like one link on this side is down while the other link on the other side is up. There's no way the links will fit like this. With the same link positions on both sides, they should give equal height. However, they're not equal. So I thought the problem is the swaybars themselves. No bushing problem here because I replaced all new bushings. After the car is driven for a long time, the swaybars are somewhat "bent" and "twisted", which make them "not even" for both sides. The solution for this could be a height adjustable coilover or new swaybars. So does anyone think like this?
Old 11-17-05, 02:07 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Mike what's up man, i was able to fix it. I found out my bushings were pretty much fried, and my swaybars were installed improperly, once i got new bushings and reinstalled the sway bars the alignment was proper now,

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
pilip99, what happened man? I think I have this same damn issue now.

I was driving into this strip mall last night to get some food and I had to kind of angle my car up the driveway because it was steep. I'm guessing this loaded up my driver's side suspension and next thing I know I hear a "thwang!" and I'm like "wtf?" so I park and get out to inspect my car. I immediately notice that my driver's side is slammed and my passenger side is riding about an inch higher than it was previously. How did this happen??

This morning I jacked my car up and looked around and didn't see anything strange so I lowered the car back down to the groubd and now it seems fine. I'm wondering if by jacking the car up it allowed gravity to pull the wheel back down and free up the sway bar from the strut. I guess this weekend when i have the time I'll get back under the car and flip the endlinks around like Howie's are now.

Howie, hit me up if you're free this weekend. I just want you to take a look and tell me if it's what we think it is
Old 08-29-06, 08:49 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

i think it might be worn sway bars i have the same issue with my sc at first i had cut springs and busted driver side shocks changed them out with tanabe springs and tociko shocks .i noticed when installing the shock that the sway bar on the driver side was much easier to go in place compare to the passanger side never looked at the endlinks .but after reading on this thread it might be our swaybars are worn .im gonna take a closer look into this when i get home later .i'll let you guys know the verdict with my swaybars ,maby it can help you

Quick Reply: My drivers side was over 1" lower than the passenger side (SOLUTION)