Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-tuned Suspension Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 05:25 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-tuned Suspension Install

Well I should get my shocks and springs tomorrow. Looking to have a long weekend to install these babies. Does anyone have any famous last words for me. i have been searching like a mad man but still have some questions and yes i know where the search button is I am just reading and reading not getting anywhere. Do I need to lenghten any wires(speed sensor)? Do I use old bump stops or new ones? Have there been corrections to the older squeaky bump stops? I guess once I get them out i will see what condition they are in if split they go to the garbage and my options are then limited. Do I need to get the steering ECU???
I will most likely not split the joint as I have read it isn't necessary? i will have spring compresser tomorrow or friday, should I need anything else besides the deep sockets which I have??? Sorry for all the questions I am just getting antsy and want to get the suspension installed. I got the mod bug once agian and it feels GOOD. I bet my wife will not think so but she loves the car so I should be aaaight. Thanks for the info in advance

Matt
Old 08-31-05, 11:00 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

basic install..
just be sure to use the OEM bumpstops. Do not use the bumpstops that came with the ltuned.
next thing to do is try using the search function in this forum.
It has all of your answers
Old 09-01-05, 05:43 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
basic install..
just be sure to use the OEM bumpstops. Do not use the bumpstops that came with the ltuned.
next thing to do is try using the search function in this forum.
It has all of your answers
Thanks for the info. I think I got it. I have been searching here for the last three days. I will take some pics as I am going in case I got stuck.

Matt
Old 09-01-05, 07:55 AM
whitegs3
Driver School Candidate

Just be careful with the ABS wires. If you strech them during the install it can cost you some bucks and mess up the traction control and ABS operation. also you don't really need a long weekend it should take about 4 hours or less to do.
Old 09-01-05, 09:39 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by whitegs3
Just be careful with the ABS wires. If you strech them during the install it can cost you some bucks and mess up the traction control and ABS operation. also you don't really need a long weekend it should take about 4 hours or less to do.

This is exactly what I was asking. How would I strech the ABS wires during install?? I am leaving myself some extra tima as it will be my first suspension. I had a Lude with a JDM H22A in which I cammed and changed T-belt so I think I can handle it although I had a Helms for moral support. Thanks for the input all is helpful.

Matt
Old 09-04-05, 07:46 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Default Done

Well I fininshed it up this morning. I started yesterday after watching alot of college football around 5 or 6. The removal snd install is a breeze. I did not remove the ball joint, you just have to twist the shock a little to get it out on the fornts. The rear is even easier to remove and install. It is alot of work. I can understand why someone just wouldn't want to do it and pay to have it done. Neways the car looks soooo much better as well as rides a ton better as well. If you are looking for a littel better than stock and not breaking the bank this set up is for you. Thanks JonathenCL for the write up I could not have done it with out that.
Old 09-05-05, 11:14 AM
bazop
Rookie

ok- rookie question-

The most i've ever done is oil changes/spark plug replacements- could i handle the ltuned shocks/springs install on my own? If I take them and have the springs put on the shocks( i don't have a spring compressor or air tools) is it then just a bolt on?
Old 09-05-05, 05:52 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by bazop
ok- rookie question-

The most i've ever done is oil changes/spark plug replacements- could i handle the ltuned shocks/springs install on my own? If I take them and have the springs put on the shocks( i don't have a spring compressor or air tools) is it then just a bolt on?
Well I guess I forgot to mention that I did have air tools and rented the spring compressors. However I still feel I could have gotten it done with out the air tools. Rent your self a set of spring compressors at adavanced auto parts, auto zone etc. and you can do the entire job its really not that difficult. Take your time read the write up from jonathancl and you should have no problem. Its not a rookie question I felt the same way you did and now i know its not too difficult. The airtools also helped to get the shock bolt apart. The impact gun took a second to get it apart. Save the money on letting someone put the shocks together and get a compresser and a set of airtools. You can get a little set of airtools for 100 bucks. NEways long story short I think anyone with good mechanical sense can get this project done. The most important tip is to mark the top of the shock to that of the bottom of the shock so when your installing the unit it all lines up. THE BIGGEST TIP EVER. The fronts are a little harder than the rear but overall its a DIY project you can do yourself. Good luck and if you have more question pm me and I will be more than happy to help. BTW the ltuned suspension is soooo worth the money. I will post some pics as soon as I can
Old 09-05-05, 06:42 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukespeed
Thanks JonathenCL for the write up I could not have done it with out that.
I think you're the fifth person to use that write-up. Yay!

Where are the pictures??
Old 09-05-05, 07:24 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl

Where are the pictures??
I used the write up to not let myself get ripped off. Does that count?
Old 09-05-05, 07:45 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonathancl

Where are the pictures??
Well I wanted to take pics but once I started i was finished. I was too intent with the task at hand to get in there with the cam. I really think you got it all covered in your pics. I will take pics of the car as soon as I can. love the drop. I think the write up should be stickied for future DIYers. Thanks agian
Old 09-06-05, 01:07 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
I used the write up to not let myself get ripped off. Does that count?
Yeah you're among the five.