Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What do I need to do to put Supra brakes on 1G3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 08:22 PM
jhelms

What do I need to do to put Supra brakes on 1G3?

When we hopefully pick up our 93/94 GS3 in the next week, I'm going to want stout brakes for sure.

I've heard the Supra TT brakes will bolt up, but exactly what all parts will I need to do the conversion?

thanks!
Old 07-09-01, 12:01 AM
JZS147
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to do to put Supra brakes on 1G3?

I have a supra brakes on my 95 GS3. you have to get calipers, pads and discs. it will be bolt on except for the dust shield. you'll have to modify it. I just took mine out. also, if you are going with supra brakes, you have to get 17inch or bigger rims with supra offset for the front. I had 18 inch rims for gs offset and it was hitting against the calipers.

hope this helps.
Old 07-09-01, 07:36 AM
jhelms

If you don't mind, I'd LOVE to hear more about your car - complete build sheet, pics, etc.

It's VERY SIMILAR to the car I want to build! Want to seel it?

thanks!
Old 07-10-01, 12:08 AM
JZS147
Driver

if you want to do 2jzgte swap on your 1st gen GS then I'll tell you problems that I had with this swap. first, the stock twin turbo will not fit because it will hit the firewall. I think firewall on japanese model sticks out on the left side, not the right side like US models. so you'll have to get single turbo upgrades. second, if you are going with front mount intercooler, you'll have to take the A/C lines out and modify it. and Third problems that I had was the oil pan with my car. the supra's oil pan sits in the back. this will not work for GS because GS are design to have oil pans more forward than supras. so what you'll have to do is find the bottom piece from aristo or order it from japan. the shop I went to happened to have one of them so I just used that one. I stayed with automatic tranny because if I wanted to go with 6speed, it would been too much work and I don't think anyone in this state can do it right. there is just too many custom made parts had to be made and it would cost at least $8000 just for making the 6spd tranny work.

I have pictures of my car but I don't have scanners so I can't scan it...so far, I have done 1/4 mile in 12.90 according to my HKS turbo timer(it times the 1/4 mile, I don't know how accurate it is) and have gone over 275km/h(also according to the HKS turbo timer since it has speedo in km/h) which is over 170mph and it was still pulling hard but I got scared...

so far my car is pushing close to 500rwhp at 1.3bar(about 20lbs of boost).

sorry jhelms, I don't wanna sell this car at all. there is so many things I still want to do to this car.

well if you still have questions, just ask me.

Old 07-10-01, 01:49 PM
jhelms

Man that sounds AWESOME!!!

That is exactly what I want to do. Is there any way (and you may want to do this by emailing me at johndhelms@home.com if you don't want to discuss it on the forum) that I could get a detailed list or build sheet showing the stuff you had to buy and install to get your car where it is now?

Also, if you happen to be able to give me a cost estimate of what the parts and labor ending up being, that would really help me out as well.

Will the stock GS300 engine (stock bottom end, stock head, pistons, etc.) work up to above 400rwhp? What about the tranny, etc?

I'm thirsting for knowledge about this conversion, or maybe it's just my mouth watering...
Old 07-10-01, 08:35 PM
flm
Driver

Question

JZS147, I have access to the JDM Aristo TT engine and I was wondering what else I need to make the swap. The engine comes with auto tranny, ecu, harness and that's all i think. I need to make sure i got everything i need before i ship it over. thanks
Old 07-11-01, 01:57 AM
JZS147
Driver

jhelms, yes the NA 2jz will do fine if you want to go up to 400hp. you'll have to get bigger injectors, reprogram the ecu, head gasket, maybe upgrade the tranny(like level 10) and make sure the engine is ok.
with my car, up to this point, I spend close to $20000.
so far I got, 95 2jzgte engine, supra AT tranny, custom driveshaft, G-force ECU, HKS twin power ignition, HKS TO4R turbo upgrade for supra tt(have to fabricate the piping that goes behind turbo), HKS intercooler for JZS147 aristo, HKS cam sprockets, HKS VPC and GCC. I think thats it for now.

flm, is this engine with vvti or not? if it is and you are trying to do it to 1st gen gs300, it'll be hard.
and for 1st gen GS300, stock twinturbo will not fit because of the firewall so you'll have to get turbo upgrade that will clear from firewall and ABS pump.
but if this swap is for 98 and up GS300 than make sure it is VVTI engine. and you don't have to worry about the turbos, it will clear from firewall and the ABS pump.