Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BMW 540 handling?

Old 07-07-01, 07:27 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a 540i yesterday after hearing much hype about their sports suspension and acceleration. I have to admit, the car picks up REAL fast, but it's more of a uncontrollable fast, unlike my 430 where I feel more in control of the power. Being the car will be a daily driver, it's hard to find a "normal" range of acceleration in the 540i. The gas paddle was soooo light, any little tap, the car will shoot forward. It would be nice if all of the roads around my house is setup to be race tracks.

Engine noise, 430 definitely kills the 540 in that department, the saleperson is using the noise as a selling point as an "amazing V8 rumbling sound", personal taste I guess.

One thing I find that's stupid on the 540 is where every little thing on that car is an additional option you have to purchase, rear sun shade, fold down rear seats, homelink system, CD changer, it seems that all the little toys that makes a car attractive other than its power/handling are options on the BMW.

I am impressed with the handling on the 540i, the steering felt much tighter than the 430, and the car does not lean/roll at all when cornering. Only abit when I try to cut a corner at about 60 mph when posted at 30 mph

I really like how the handling feels, and I am wondering is it possible to have my 430 handles the same, or even outhandle the 540? I am getting the l-tuned spring/shock, and the TRD sways, would that match the 540?

thanks,

Last edited by lex430; 07-07-01 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-07-01, 07:44 AM
dgangi

Post BMW handlind

I can't say for sure about the 540i, but the other BMW's I have driven (328 Sport, M3, 528 Sport) all handled better than my 2000 GS, but they also rode rougher. I haven't driven a non-Sport model BMW, but I recollect that the BMW "sport" package adds bigger wheels, lower profile tires and stiffer shocks over the "standard" variant. I also think the standard BMWs have a stiffer suspension than the standard GS. If you stiffen up the suspension on your Lexus and get stickier tires, your handling characteristics should be very comparable to any non-modded BMW.

I will say that BMW's steering feel is the best I have ever felt, and I don't know if there is a way that the GS can be modified to give a different feel through the steering wheel. This is probably something that is characteristic of many parts of the car working in tandem, so it may be impossible to completely tune the steering. This is the kind of thing that might boil down to personal preference as well.

BTW - you are correct about the ridiculous option niggling that BMW plays. I can't even believe that a CD changer is an option in such an expensive car! Even GM peddles some of their Chevys with more standard options than BMW. Go figure.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-07-01, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

My neighbor has a 540i with sport package so I've compared it (driven it) to my modified GS.

Observations... I find the 540i to be more responsive right off the line, but now I'm beginning to think it's our lawyer-spec'ed VSC that slows down the dang GS.

My car out handles the 540i with sport package, so I think you'll be pleased with L-tuned springs/shocks, and TRD sways (I also have upper/lower braces too).

The one thing I didn't like about the 540i's steering though is the HUGE steering wheel. I MUCH prefer the small GS one.
Old 07-07-01, 09:06 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you add the l-tuned susp. or the h&r/bilstein combo, plus f+r sways, you will outperform the bmw in handling hands-down.