Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Would you trust a Toyota Master tech to install Coilovers on GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 09:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Would you trust a Toyota Master tech to install Coilovers on GS?

Would you trust a Toyota Master tech to install Coilovers on your GS430? my friend is a head parts guy at a big Toyota dealer. I was there with him and we were bsing with one of master techs. the tech said he would install my coilovers for, get this, a half hour labor at the dealership!

I said I thought it was a bigger job than that, but he thinks it's just a few bolts since they are coilovers. doesn't some of the stuff have to be disassembled from the stock s/s? I also mentioned the sensors that I am totally paranoid about after all the threads I've seen on the VSC lights coming on and he says don't worry, most of the toyotas have those sensors.

my buddy has known the guy for years and says he's good, but I doubt he's ever worked on a GS before. what do you guys think? my only other option is to have the Lex dealer do it for top dollar.
Old 07-23-05, 11:38 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yah..i would trust him.

i think probably more like 1 hour (15 minutes per coilover) if he is a one-man team.....and has a lift, air power tools, and there is no need to re-use old stock pillow mounts.

I've worked on (3) 2nd gen GS suspensions already....gets easier everytime. No sensor problems at all.

I hope its NOT a time trial for him...dont want any mistakes trying to beat that 30 minute promise.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 07-24-05 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 12:10 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
Would you trust a Toyota Master tech to install Coilovers on your GS430? my friend is a head parts guy at a big Toyota dealer. I was there with him and we were bsing with one of master techs. the tech said he would install my coilovers for, get this, a half hour labor at the dealership!

I said I thought it was a bigger job than that, but he thinks it's just a few bolts since they are coilovers. doesn't some of the stuff have to be disassembled from the stock s/s? I also mentioned the sensors that I am totally paranoid about after all the threads I've seen on the VSC lights coming on and he says don't worry, most of the toyotas have those sensors.

my buddy has known the guy for years and says he's good, but I doubt he's ever worked on a GS before. what do you guys think? my only other option is to have the Lex dealer do it for top dollar.
I say take advantage of it. A Toyota tech should be more than capable of that task. Although i highly doubt he will finish it in 30 min. But thats on him.
Old 07-24-05, 12:38 AM
jaja
Pole Position

Long story short - I think it can be done in 30 mins if he has done it before, and knows specific locations of bolts, and retorquing lb/ft numbers. If not I'd say 1-1.5 hours at least. Here's what is involved.... (different car I did before, maybe someone can pitch in more info specific to the GS)

yea its not that much of a deal... I did my coilovers on my 240SX convertible, and the hardest part was removing the top bolts of the coilovers, and of course getting compression springs because I had to reuse the top shock mounts for my Tein SS. I am assuming that you are getting the Tein CS coilovers where my understanding is that they come with the top mounts which are an adjustable pillow ball type mount.

The front top bolts are pretty easy to access, the lower bolts should be a piece of cake with a breaker bar/ air tools. I haven't taken a look at the rear mounts, but by the looks of it, should be easy. Its not like my 'vert 240sx where I couldn't get any tools to the top mount and had to use a small wrench to get the nuts off.

This is one of the points I would definately check to see on the coilovers. If the mounts aren't there, it will add anyone with any set of tools an add'l 15-20 min per tire. I didn't have air tools, and it almost took 40 mins a tire.... yep spent an hour and a half just to remove the springs. Putting them on ain't no walk in the park either....

The other thing I'd worry about is alignment. I replaced another suspension parts on my 240sx when I did the coilovers and for some lucky reason the car drove straight after I did it. So I didn't end up having the alignment done. But I would strongly suggest getting it done on the GS. The GS is alot heavier than my 240sx and has much wider tires creating more friction to be sensitive to toe in/out change (maybe there is no change because we have a double wishbone type FR suspension) and of course the chamber angle adjustments from the upper mounts.

Also I'd make sure that the bottom mounts only go in one way, I mean contour wise. On my 240sx the bottom mount had different diameters on each side of each shock. In other words you could put the shock on two ways. small diameter in or out. Take a look at the lower mounts to make sure that it is a simple same size design.... (I know this sounds hard to understand, but if you take a look at the lower mount you can see it) Tein's included instructions were horrible, where I called them up to point out three errors. I had to go to the Japanese website and download the PDF to make sure I was doing it right. I called up Tein to confirm the points of course to make sure that the US specs were the same.

But my motto is - "you want it done right, do it yourself" its really not that hard. Just spend $$$ on the right tools, and even the hardest bolts will come off. Just make sure you get a torque wrench to retorque to the right specs.
Old 07-24-05, 03:49 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

30 minutes ..no way

an hour ....possibly

i would have him take his time and do it right
Old 07-24-05, 04:36 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFM
30 minutes ..no way

an hour ....possibly

i would have him take his time and do it right
i have to agree with johnny , a hour at the bare min and thats if the tech took a shot of steriods and ate 25 bowls of wheaties

i have done this maybe a a dozen times and i do have air tools as well , 1hr min but its more like 1hr and a half
Old 07-24-05, 04:42 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Installing the unit is one thing. Then there is the height adjustment. Unless he is very experienced, it can take a few tries to get it at an even height that will settle to the height you ultimately want. OUr cars do not sit evenly either . It takes time to adjust , put the wheels on, lower the lift, get the suspension to "settle", check height, repeat if necessary.
Old 07-24-05, 04:52 AM
jaja
Pole Position

i agree with Neo.... adjustments take a long time. on my 240 it took me about a week to get it right. I think the coils have to settle in and somehow counting the threads didn't work. I ended up taking a measure from the center of the wheel to the fender on both sides to adjust... a real pain in the ****.

yea - so i take back my "it can be done in 30 mins" I figure 1 hour at the fastest, about 2 for a novice mechanic who has never looked at a GS.
Old 07-24-05, 07:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't do it and here's why. It's obvious this guy has never installed co's, at least on a gs but I doubt if he's ever done it to quote you 30 min labor cost. Unless he meant he was cutting you a break and would hold your price to 30 min. I don't have a gs but it took 3 hours to install my co's by a shop that has done hundreds of high end cars and many of them lexus. A complete hour was spent going up and down getting the right height on each wheel. I demanded 1 finger gap on all the wheels. They had to measure then turn each ring several times to achieve this. You need to be there at this point. You have to be satisfied with the height...that's why we spend extra for co's...to get that right height. Different wheel offsets and sizing make it essential you be there. Your buddy may have 1 finger gap and you like it and ask for the same. If your wheels sit differently, you won't know you need a different height than your buddy until you see it. I was told all this by the guys as they prepared for the install. They were experienced. This guy doesn't sound like he knows how it goes. Most dealerships won't let you stand there watching the techs work so I wouldn't do it. Springs but not co's.
Old 07-24-05, 12:49 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, maybe he said he's only charging 1/2 hour labor as a hook up. But may take longer than that.
Old 07-24-05, 04:18 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea it's really an easy job Chuck you probally can do it your self
Old 07-24-05, 05:33 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Chuck. I say you give him a shot, provided that the dealership will stand behind his work and this is not something he is doing as a favor for you on the side. If this guy is really that good, I would take Toyota "really that good" over Lexus "might be good" any day. By the way, what's the difference in price between having him do it and having it done at Lexus?
Old 07-24-05, 09:23 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

i would do it... Most Toyota dealerships are Lexus certified Service centers, i would go for it.
Old 07-25-05, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if the tech has aftermarket parts knowledge imho that's a much, after it's a bit different stuff from factory the way i see it

but anyway, 1/2 hour that sounds too fast to me, 1 hour is more like it. but if they are charging you that for the install i dn't see any issue

and neo is right too, the install shouldn't be hard, especially you dont have to take apart the springs/shocks. but the adjumstments afterwards, that's gonna take some getting used to
Old 07-25-05, 12:55 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I also would say ... go for it.

He is a Toyota Master Tech ... hey ... i expect that these guys have a certain level of skills
You do not need a PhD if you want to install coilovers...

Installing coilovers is not a difficult job. With the right tools it is not a difficult job.

he will charge you Half Hour Labor. If he needs more time ... and does not charge you for that, that would be fine

Quick Reply: Would you trust a Toyota Master tech to install Coilovers on GS?