Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Would you trust a Toyota Master tech to install Coilovers on GS?

Old 07-25-05, 08:38 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Yah..i would trust him.......

I hope its NOT a time trial for him...dont want any mistakes trying to beat that 30 minute promise.

Pete

Originally Posted by GTFM
30 minutes ..no way

an hour ....possibly

i would have him take his time and do it right

I want him to take his time too. I was thinking of giving him an extra $50 before he starts, to give him an extra half hour or so...

Originally Posted by Neo
Installing the unit is one thing. Then there is the height adjustment. Unless he is very experienced, it can take a few tries to get it at an even height that will settle to the height you ultimately want. OUr cars do not sit evenly either . It takes time to adjust , put the wheels on, lower the lift, get the suspension to "settle", check height, repeat if necessary.
I kinda figured I'll end up dialing in the height myself. Does anyone know if the springs are set for a certain height from Tein, or where roughly they should be set for about an inch drop?
Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Yea it's really an easy job Chuck you probally can do it your self
I know what you're saying, and I am mechanicly inclined, but I've never done such a thing and why bother, when I can have it done so cheap? ya know.

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Chuck. I say you give him a shot, provided that the dealership will stand behind his work and this is not something he is doing as a favor for you on the side. If this guy is really that good, I would take Toyota "really that good" over Lexus "might be good" any day. By the way, what's the difference in price between having him do it and having it done at Lexus?
hey e- the difference in price over the Lex dealer is over $400! I'm definately going to make sure that if the sensors are damaged, the dealer will be responsible.
Originally Posted by rominl
if the tech has aftermarket parts knowledge imho that's a much, after it's a bit different stuff from factory the way i see it

but anyway, 1/2 hour that sounds too fast to me, 1 hour is more like it. but if they are charging you that for the install i dn't see any issue

and neo is right too, the install shouldn't be hard, especially you dont have to take apart the springs/shocks. but the adjumstments afterwards, that's gonna take some getting used to
I highly doubt this guy has ever worked on a GS before, let alone done aftermarket mods to one, but it's a pretty straight forward job for a mechanic, no? Is there anything special I need to tell him?

thanks everyone else for your input.
Old 07-25-05, 10:05 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,

could you ask him if he is willing to install a BBK? Are you getting this done at Toyota or is he doing this on the side?
Old 07-25-05, 11:17 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Chuck,

could you ask him if he is willing to install a BBK? Are you getting this done at Toyota or is he doing this on the side?
hey Rich-

I'll ask him. when are you getting your stuff?

It's being done at Germain.
Old 07-25-05, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I highly doubt this guy has ever worked on a GS before, let alone done aftermarket mods to one, but it's a pretty straight forward job for a mechanic, no? Is there anything special I need to tell him?

thanks everyone else for your input.
yeah it's straight forward, but just want to be careful. you don't want him to use airgun on everything (some bad experience happened to me recently). and he has to be very careful on the abs sensors. he breaks those, and it's a lot of money each side
Old 07-25-05, 02:29 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

yeah it's straight forward, but just want to be careful. you don't want him to use airgun on everything (some bad experience happened to me recently). and he has to be very careful on the abs sensors. he breaks those, and it's a lot of money each side

what should I ask him not to use the airgun on?

I already mentioned the fragile sensors to him once....there are two 10mm bolts that need to be removed, right?
Old 07-25-05, 04:27 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Rich-

I'll ask him. when are you getting your stuff?

It's being done at Germain.

Its already in. Check about 3 threads above this one
Old 07-25-05, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

what should I ask him not to use the airgun on?

I already mentioned the fragile sensors to him once....there are two 10mm bolts that need to be removed, right?
umm, basically from the tech who worked on my cars (and others), i have only seen him use airgun on ONE bolt, and that's the big *** bolt at the lower control arm where the coilover meets the control arm. everything else he hand loose and tighten them, and tq them correctly.

using airgun might not be wrong, but if you want to do it right, you make sure they are done right
Old 07-25-05, 09:45 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

umm, basically from the tech who worked on my cars (and others), i have only seen him use airgun on ONE bolt, and that's the big *** bolt at the lower control arm where the coilover meets the control arm. everything else he hand loose and tighten them, and tq them correctly.

using airgun might not be wrong, but if you want to do it right, you make sure they are done right

is there a pdf or can anyone post pages of service manual were they show removal and install of shocks? something with the torque values etc.
Old 07-25-05, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm that i think you can ask johnny, he should hav all the information
Old 10-13-05, 09:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

so the toyota guy flaked out on me and wants 4.5 hrs

I talked to my trusted tech at Lexus and he's going to do it. Since I told him it was coil overs and he didn't have to take apart old shocks, I'm getting a "better" price. I think about 2-3 hrs. He's got classes this week & service writer is calling me next week to set up. I'll be confident that someone who works on GS's all the time is doing it and the dealer can be responsible if they mess up a sensor or something. Plus I'll get a loaner.
Old 10-13-05, 06:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

so the toyota guy flaked out on me and wants 4.5 hrs

I talked to my trusted tech at Lexus and he's going to do it. Since I told him it was coil overs and he didn't have to take apart old shocks, I'm getting a "better" price. I think about 2-3 hrs. He's got classes this week & service writer is calling me next week to set up. I'll be confident that someone who works on GS's all the time is doing it and the dealer can be responsible if they mess up a sensor or something. Plus I'll get a loaner.
I was just thinking about this yesterday and how I hadn't heard anything about it for a while. In the end, it sounds like it is going to work out better this way (Lexus dealer, warranty, loaner, peace of mind, etc.). Keep me posted C.

--e
Old 10-14-05, 07:20 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry that guy flaked on you. No way it takes 4 to 5 hrs. unless he takes a lunch break every time after installing one coilover,lol. It took me and my cousin 2 hrs and we aren't experts and only using basic tools. As others have stated, be careful with the sensors on the front of the car.

Good luck and hope nothing else goes wrong.
Old 10-14-05, 08:29 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

OMG, you guys don't even know

after I posted that Lex dealer was doing it, they called me back and said they couldn't do it because it was an "aftermarket" part. I begged my service rep and she said there was nothing she could do.

So, I called the service manager and begged him. He said they can't put on anything that alters from stock, blah blah, blah. I told they won't have to alter anything, it's just swapping out shocks. He said he'd check with my tech and call me back. I figured I was done.

My service writer just called me and said they CAN/WILL do it! they are charging me 3 hrs, plus alignment. I can live with that.