Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Picked up TOM`s rear LCB

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 01:08 PM
Lvangundy

Default Picked up TOM`s rear LCB

I'm getting addicted to these suspension parts..and it's burning a hole in my wallet.

I got the TOM`s rear LCB yesterday, and accidentally for the closed type (which is NOT for the stock exhaust). Thaks to Gordon and Steve at Carson - they exchanged the part for the open type.

The bar actually touches a heat shield/drive shaft cover which I thought was strange, but that adds some rigidity I suppose. There are rubber strips that are placed in between the LCB and the heat shield/cover.

The rear once again(as with all the other parts I've mentioned before) adds a slight amount of stiffness.
Old 07-23-05, 05:45 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the stock ride is soft partly due to the minor flex that is inherent in the car. Now that you are tying everything together, you lose that and the car is more rigid. It should handle better though. The rear should not be as loose anymore.

There is a price for everything (and just not the pocketbook).

Congrats on the pickup.
Old 07-25-05, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nice stuff lee, guess the rear end of your car is getting quite a bit more rigid now, hopefully the handling is much better than before
Old 07-25-05, 07:35 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea I'm going to be doing the Tom's front LCB and Rear LCB in the next few weeks... I belive the Front bar will help tremendisly in weight distribution and relieve som stress off of other suspension parts... I can't wait... and yes my pockets are on fire with all these mods..

Good luck and keep us posted...

T
Old 07-25-05, 09:34 AM
Lvangundy

I'm not too impressed so far with the mods I have. I still can't fly around corners and I'm still losing traction and getting that fish-tail action.

I think the 'handling' might still seem bad due to the body roll. I have a feeling sway bars will make the most dramatic difference and I want to do those last to see how the other parts feel.
Old 07-25-05, 10:30 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sway bars should have been the first mod. At the same time, S/S or coilovers should be done at the same time, if possible. The Tom's braces are great but IMO are only play supporting roles to the other two.

At the same time, don't expect the same level of handling as a small car like an IS. You can overcome only so much weight and size.
Old 07-25-05, 10:38 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Sway bars should have been the first mod. At the same time, S/S or coilovers should be done at the same time, if possible. The Tom's braces are great but IMO are only play supporting roles to the other two.

At the same time, don't expect the same level of handling as a small car like an IS. You can overcome only so much weight and size.

bingo chris

s/s or coils combined with sways and a front strut tower bars are a must have then as chris illustrated the toms braces front and back will support the foundation of basic susp mods and then you will fly around corners like theres no tomm , trust me on this one bro
Old 07-25-05, 01:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Yea I'm going to be doing the Tom's front LCB and Rear LCB in the next few weeks... I belive the Front bar will help tremendisly in weight distribution and relieve som stress off of other suspension parts... I can't wait... and yes my pockets are on fire with all these mods..

Good luck and keep us posted...

T
well i am not sure. there is ALREADY a front stb from stock, just not as thick. whereas there is nothing stock for the rear as well. for me, the brace in the back is definitely helping more
Old 07-25-05, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
I'm not too impressed so far with the mods I have. I still can't fly around corners and I'm still losing traction and getting that fish-tail action.

I think the 'handling' might still seem bad due to the body roll. I have a feeling sway bars will make the most dramatic difference and I want to do those last to see how the other parts feel.
well, lee, you started out all wrong, what can i say we all told you before already, get coilovers and sways before you go to any of the braces, but you didn't listen man
Old 07-25-05, 05:53 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with the others on this- the coilovers and sways are the first suspension mods to do (not including better tires/wheels). The chassis braces etc. may make small improvements on an otherwise stock car, but they really start to matter once you have done the coilovers/sways. Once you increase the spring rate, damping stiffness and roll stiffness, the chassis is subject to more stress when driving hard and the chassis braces and suspension link kit will help a lot. Some of these pieces don't really make a BIG difference all by themselves, but work together to really make the GS handle very well!