Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCAs and Sway Bar Repair Notes & Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 12:12 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LCAs and Sway Bar Repair Notes & Write-up

LCA (Lower Control Arm) and Sway Bar Bushing Writeup

I have just replaced all these parts, It completely fixed the problems I was having related to squeeking and other problems narrowed down to LCA Bushings and Sway bars. Thanks for all the people who contributed to this information in other threads

Sway Bar Bushing Problem:
"Old-Car" Squeaking noise, gerenally from the rear suspention.

Repair: Replaced Sway Bar Bushings with Daizen Aftermarket bushings purchased from TM Engineering for $29.95 plus rushed shipping (Great Customer Service and perfect on-time Shipping) OR Remove Old Bushings and add mucho grease.

Front LCA Bushing Problem: Popping noise from the front suspention.

Repair: Replaced all front LCA Bushings purchased from Sowell Lexus in Dallas, TX

Ideas that were wrong: Old Springs, Old Shocks, Old Struts, Old Rear LCAs.

Not to say that these might not be contributing to some of your problems, but this might answer some primary concerns you may have.

Car Drives much smoother and the rear end is very quiet now.

Thanks again guys!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a writeup that I put together based on all the information I read about the LCAs.

The 4 Front Lower Control Arm (LCA) bushings for the 1998 Lexus SC300 go for $30.00ea for the front and $39.07 each for the rear, and you need 4 bushings total to do the front lower control arms, 2 for each arm..a front bush and a rear bush on each side. They do appear to work on Pre-98 models as well. These are special order items and usually take 1 extra day to get in.
Info on bushings: Bushings are made for `98 and up SC there are two different bushings front and rear, with different numbers:

Front: 48654-24040

Rear: 48655-24050

VERY IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INFORMATION BEFORE BEGINNING

Special notes:
The Front bushing is unidirectional but rear one is directional and should be installed correctly (See Caution note below). Also there is a Stopper that looks like big washer which takes care of the lateral movement of the Control arm. Make sure these are reinstalled if not the vehicle will have MASSIVE play when just lightly applying the front brakes and your customer will probably be very angry.
If the Stopper(s) are not reinstalled there will be major problems and will cause the destruction of the newly installed Bushings!!!! if you need to order a misplaced stopper the part #'s are 48657-24020 ea...

Tips for Removing Old Bushing
Your objective is to fold the outer metal sleeve of the bushing inward and then pushing bushing out of the ctrl arm using that newly formed ridge on the sleeve and blunt hammer tip..... I know description sucks, but it is actually a very easy task and the sleeve collapse like soda can allowing the old bushing to come right out.

Caution note when Installing Front- rear LCA Bushing:
The Rear bushing is directional. Be 100% sure to position the NEW Bushing in the EXACT SAME Direction and manner as the Old Bushing that you removed.
Now, if you are still in doubt and since there is no explanation given in Lexus service manual on how to position the front or rear bushing I would recommend that you ask your Parts Department or have them call Lexus technical support if they do not know.

Labor Costs
The Labor costs will vary slightly by shop, but Lexus Dealerships charge 2 hours per side for a total of 4 hours labor to install all new front Lower Control Arm bushings totaling ~$311.00. I would highly recommend that you take your car to a Lexus Dealership to have this work performed, as they will know your vehicle the best. There is 2.5 hours of labor to replace the front and Rear Sway bar bushings totaling ~$195.00. And finally you would need a anlignment for ~$60-75.

Enjoy, I hope this clarifies some info for you all.

Last edited by IronCobra; 10-24-05 at 11:34 PM.