Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

'Coilovers' at stock height

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 10:05 AM
Lvangundy

Default 'Coilovers' at stock height

What would be the differrence between going with coilovers set to stock height (or equal to the least dropped spring)?

Does the coilover strut itself offer any performance over the stock strut when adjusted to the same height?

Or, let's say I get an Eibach pro-kit or a Tein h-tech which are both about a 1" drop. If I get Tein coilovers and set them to the same height would there be any handling 'performance' difference?
Old 07-07-05, 10:26 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly the Tein coilover is going to offer superior damping when compared to the stocker, regardless of the height setting. Couple that with the damping adjustability and you have a much better system. Stock GS suspension is definitely 'floaty,' and the Tein's will help significantly with this even if you choose to not lower the height of the car. There are many choices when it comes to coilovers and I'm sure most, if not all of them will offer better handling than the stock GS suspension. Good coilovers are one of the best mods you can make to the GS IMHO.
Old 07-07-05, 10:34 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to TeeLex's comments, there is also the weight factor.

I have not held every shock/springs combo but the coilovers I've had are lighter than the traditional shock/springs combo. This reduces the unsprung weights at the corners.
Old 07-07-05, 12:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan to get Tein CS and run them only about an inch lower (prob 1.25 in the front to even out stance) than stock.

Neo-will my car still be comfy and ride like a luxury car but not as floaty?
Old 07-07-05, 12:22 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck-

The CS is a great choice. I didnt want a rough ride at all and the CS is great. No complaints here. You will be happy.
Old 07-07-05, 01:23 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
In addition to TeeLex's comments, there is also the weight factor.

I have not held every shock/springs combo but the coilovers I've had are lighter than the traditional shock/springs combo. This reduces the unsprung weights at the corners.
Neo,

I weighted my TEIN CS and H&R/Bilstein before installed them.Tein is about 10lb lighter at each corner, so we're talking about 40lb total unsprung weight here
Old 07-07-05, 01:35 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting up hard numbers Jacob.

Chuck,

The Tein CS are about the smoothest setup I've had. They feel great. They are not road carvers like some of the other suspensions but it will be good enough.

The other aspect would be wheel size which translates to sidewall size. 20s on any suspension will never feel like 16s. If you are staying with 18s, then it will still feel pretty good. If you are OK with the 18s on your OEM suspension, you will like the CS. Ride quality won't be better but to me, it is not worse. BUT, then you get all the other benefits of having coilovers.
Old 07-07-05, 06:16 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest advantageof a coilover system vs getting a normal shock + lowering spring, is that the coilover system is a tested combo, while most lowering springs assume that you use the stock shocks.

The spring rate of the lowering springs are close to the stock springs, to assure the usability of the stock shocks, while a coilover system the springrate and demping force of the shock part can be altered significantly, to give a much firmer ride.
Old 07-07-05, 08:13 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
I plan to get Tein CS and run them only about an inch lower (prob 1.25 in the front to even out stance) than stock.

Neo-will my car still be comfy and ride like a luxury car but not as floaty?
A moderate drop w/ coilovers on those newer stock 18's? I'll bet that it will exceed your expectations for ride quality, and reduce body roll significantly.
Old 07-13-05, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Thanks for posting up hard numbers Jacob.

Chuck,

The Tein CS are about the smoothest setup I've had. They feel great. They are not road carvers like some of the other suspensions but it will be good enough.

The other aspect would be wheel size which translates to sidewall size. 20s on any suspension will never feel like 16s. If you are staying with 18s, then it will still feel pretty good. If you are OK with the 18s on your OEM suspension, you will like the CS. Ride quality won't be better but to me, it is not worse. BUT, then you get all the other benefits of having coilovers.
i also agree with neo. with the tein cs i think that's your best bet. i can't be happier with my tein cs, even with the 20s