Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Did I Get Suckered Or Was He A Pro

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 02:46 PM
STR8-UP-G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Get Suckered Or Was He A Pro

i recently lowered my 03 430 with TEIN springs. after i lowered the car, it seemed like i needed an allignment because the steerign wheel was not straight anymore. anyways i took my car to a local reputable allignment shop to fix the problem. The guy tells me that i not only need an allignment, i also needed to correct the camber. he said that i was at a -2. i have been searching this forum and apparently they dont make a camber kit. i dont know what the guy did to fix the camber, but he charged me 180. 70 for 4 wheel allignment and 110 to fix the camber. the car drives staight now, but i am curious about what he did. To be honest, i wouldnt even know if the cambe is fixed or not. did i get suckered or is there a way to fic the negative camber?
Old 06-13-05, 02:56 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Camber adjustment should be part of an alignment. It is just that there is a limit to the adjustment and as you lower the car, that limit changes. With the car lowered, the car will have a more neg camber than from the factory. A bit of neg camber is not necessarily bad for handling, just bad for tire wear.
Old 06-13-05, 03:16 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Neo said....camber (as well as... toe and caster and straightening out the steering wheel) are suppose to be adjusted under 4-wheel alignment. Our GS has a camber adjustment bolt that provides minimal adjustment under normal stock height. When lowered, no meaningful adjustement are reflected....thus, the need for a camber kit....which does not exist.

If you paid additional $110 to fix the camber....what was the before and after printout #s of your camber, caster, toe, etc.... What was used to fix it? If the shop is not able to provide these....I'd say you got taken for a ride.
Old 06-13-05, 03:47 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

he should have been able to do the acmber under the 4 wheel alignment price... but its def too late now.. u should have just told that he's supposed to do that too or you would talk to the president of the building but then again he'd prolly just do a crappy job doing it.. so its a tough situation
Old 06-13-05, 05:59 PM
STR8-UP-G
Driver

Thanks for the replies, the reason i ask is because i really didnt see him do the allignment because i didnt see him atttach the eqipment onto the wheel. all i saw was him under my car. do they have to attach the equipment onto the car in order to do an allignment? there was no print out of anything. i will conffront him tomorrow. at least i will try to get the 70 back. I have a strong feeling that he only did the camber and not the allignment. it probably didnt need to be alligned. I intially went in there asking for an allignment, but after he looked at my car he said that i also need to fix the camber. i think since i intially asked for an allignment he just pretend like he did it. i want to go there knowing what im talking about. please help
Old 06-13-05, 09:09 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

some of these guys can be really shady. they put these things on your rims to check the settings to the toe, caster, and camber. i dont know how he could check all that without the things on the tires. most of the time, they leave the settings as is because your are "within" certain range of spec. i was talking to the guy that did my aligment and he was really cool. he showed me the different things he did and got everything to stock except for the camber, he maxed those out and i was still a little off. he gave ame a before and after print out. hope this helps.
Old 06-14-05, 01:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man you are in cali and you can get screwed like that?! we could have recommended a lot of shops to you
Old 06-14-05, 04:51 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Always get a printout with before and after. Any reputable shop should have no problem producing one for you after service. I think you got duped.....camber adjustment is certainly part of any alignment service.....any basic alignment service at that.
Old 06-14-05, 09:11 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

So essentially you paid $290 for the service.

I recently had mine done after buying new front tires, and the alignment was 79.00. Provided was a before and after printout of my settings. If in SoCal I reccomend Wheel Warehouse in Fullerton. First class shop that does a ton of work on many high end cars. They do both wheels and tires along with lowering of a variety of luxury rigs-

D
Old 06-14-05, 12:56 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my 4 wheel computer alignment and camber fixed done at luxury motorworks. in Monrovia, CA for only 70.00 dollars. Who recommended you to the shop you went?? cuz you got ripped off badly.
Old 06-15-05, 02:01 AM
STR8-UP-G
Driver

i heard a lot of good things about that shop from other people. but i guess he must have saw me in a shirt and tie driving a gs430 thought he could juice me for a couple more bucks. He ripped off the wrong person. is there anything i can do now? i am dying to confront his shady ***. I will ask him how he did the allignment without using the machine. My steering wheel is a litte crooked when i am driving straight. tomorrow i will got there and demand a refund. ill probably let him keep the 110 since he did the camber, but i ask him to return the 70. DONT GO TO THE BEAR SERVICE ON GARVEY AVE IN MONTEREY PARK
Old 06-15-05, 02:09 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh... so you went to Bear. Those guys are crooks.
Old 06-15-05, 05:11 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STR8-UP-G
i heard a lot of good things about that shop from other people. but i guess he must have saw me in a shirt and tie driving a gs430 thought he could juice me for a couple more bucks. He ripped off the wrong person. is there anything i can do now? i am dying to confront his shady ***. I will ask him how he did the allignment without using the machine. My steering wheel is a litte crooked when i am driving straight. tomorrow i will got there and demand a refund. ill probably let him keep the 110 since he did the camber, but i ask him to return the 70. DONT GO TO THE BEAR SERVICE ON GARVEY AVE IN MONTEREY PARK
He didnt do the camber thats the point we are trying to make. Adjusting Camber is part of the alignment and can only be determined by hooking up the machine.
Old 06-15-05, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by STR8-UP-G
actually, machine alignment is not a must. back in the old days people did alignment with hands. but definitely ask them about the alignment and the extra fees to adjust camber. alignment MEANS adjust the camber if necessary
Old 06-17-05, 01:38 PM
suge66
Pole Position

I think the best place to go for an alignment is the dealer. Lowerd my car on tein springs and took it to the dealer and they had it back on point in about 3hrs. Paid a little more(190) than regular shops, but i know it's correct. They also gave me a 1yr deal if it goes out of alignment the next one is free, and that's with the 20" rims on it.

Quick Reply: Did I Get Suckered Or Was He A Pro