Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A good thing, but too much information for a novice like myself

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 09:29 PM
wie201
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good thing, but too much information for a novice like myself

I must say that I love this forum, and it has kept me abreast of the latest tips and tricks in the GS world. I recently decided to enter the world of modifications for my 98 stock GS400. After reading page after page of every modification you can think of, never asking a question, but diligently searching out information, I made my list, sent it to Mo who works close by (thank God), got a price, and now must change it again for the reasons set forth below.

First., here is what I decided to add for starters:

PI TC with transmission cooler
Tein Flex with EDFC
SRT Intake with ECU

After reading things again today, I decided to go back to basics, see what is a consensus good upgrade, and if there is no consensus, go with a less expensive option and work my way up. For example:

PI TC - the consensus is that this torque converter is a great modification - it stays.

SRT Intake - not as clear, but appears to compliment the PI TC very well - it stays.

Tein Flex w/ EDFC - No consensus at all, perhaps because there are too many options. Now, apparently, the EDFC motors move, and eventually the wires will someday enter my cabin and strangle my kids as I am tooling down the highway - sadly, it must go. HA or CS? Too hard - too soft - the Flex porridge seemed just right on paper- but I am not going to drop 2 grand plus on what appears to be less of a sure bet.

What to do. Well, win a set of TRD sway bars on eBay, and use those instead of the coilovers for now. Much less expensive, and I can add the coilovers later if the Flex motors learn to sit still. Although I appreciate the offers, I really do not have the time to test other people's set up (unless you live in Northern Virginia).

The bottom line is that for a novice like myself you can read this stuff forever, and become so confused you end up not doing anything. What I am primarily looking for is to open up the potential of that very expensive engine I bought, and take corners at something more than the recommended (or mandated) speed limit without listing 12 degrees to port.

Now I have a question. Does this seem like a reasonable, and even more importantly, efficient start, or should I crawl back to my hole knowing that I cannot dedicate the kind of time I would like to get that magic formula I am looking for (i.e., am I a wuss)?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-30-05, 10:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the Tein Flex w/edfc and it tried to kill me too lol

but seriously ....i did have it and switched it out with Zeal Function Zi coilovers

and i have never been happier ...it was like night and day when i changed them out

good luck with the rest ....you will notice an improvement

johnny
Old 05-31-05, 12:07 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st off, its good to see that u used the search function. 2ndly, i can only comment on the suspension aspect as i dont have a GS400 and dont know what a PI TC will do or an SRT intake. now, i used to have the tein flex and didnt mind the ride. it handles well, but it was a bit on the stiff side. so i switched it out with the tein CS and WOW, what a difference. the CS is SOOOOOO much more stock like and you can drop it. as for the edfc, i had the whole time and i find myself playing with it b/c it REALLY does work. you can feel the difference. as for strangling your kids, the wire would be hidden underneath everything, so no worries there GET IT. good luck w/everything
Old 05-31-05, 01:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

with the gs, imho the coilover is always a good start, together with sways. you can have all the power you want, but you need handling first. so to me, lowering the car with good coilovers and also nice sways is a start

after that then you can see if you want to improve the handling even more or you want more power
Old 05-31-05, 04:43 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just outside of Fairfax. Where are you going to get this stuff done? Don't see too many modded GS around. It'd be nice to link up.
Old 05-31-05, 06:48 AM
wie201
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have added this thread to my original message so people understand the Flex EDFC issue. Sorry.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164671
Old 05-31-05, 05:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
i had the Tein Flex w/edfc and it tried to kill me too lol

but seriously ....i did have it and switched it out with Zeal Function Zi coilovers

and i have never been happier ...it was like night and day when i changed them out
Johnny - aren't you sponsored by Zeal?

Either way, I'd love to hear how the Zeals are 'night and day' better for you than the Tein Flex w/EDFC.