Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bad experience with Tein CS today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 09:30 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad experience with Tein CS today.

I had the Gs parked in the garage for a month, and so i decided to take her out for a spin, as i back out of the garage, there's this little dip from where the garage ends, and meets the driveway , well what was going to happen next blow me away. I call my tech that installed it, and i told him that it was making cunk cunk sound when the car would go over small dips really small dips on the road. I ask him if it was normal because maybe it was parked too long, and he told me to just drive it around for a couple of days to see if it would go away, and if not to bring it in to him. Will i was really upset because it sounded really serious, so i checked the rear suspenion myself, and to my disbelief my rear suspenion fell out of its socket (where the nut meets the damper adjustment that is where it fell out of place). So i took my baby back in to the shop right away, and he told me that before he installed the CS he had check, and tighten some more to be sure that everything was ok before the installation. He too was shocked, but at end he was able to put it back in place, and everything was butter. Luckily nothing was broken or bent. Man what a weird situation.
Old 05-26-05, 10:53 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Call to technitian - 34 cents.

Gasoline used to test the car- $2.42

Happy ending ........priceless.
Old 05-27-05, 12:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow that sounds scary. make sure you check it again in couple of days to see if it's loosen up again
Old 05-27-05, 03:04 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn glad nothing had broken ...glad there was an upside to this
Old 05-27-05, 03:37 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that exact same situation as you, only I was not so lucky. I had the Teins CS on the car for six months, had another suspension system on the car and then went back to the CS. When I had the CS reinstalled my car was broken into and it was at the body shop and stereo shop getting fixed for about 5 weeks. Apparently the front right coilover wasnt installed properly and the rubber seal that surrounds the bolt that the damper adjustment just disintegrated from the movement. The ride wasnt horrible but I noticed it right away and now I am going to have to buy a new coilover and then send the damaged one back to get fixed. So if you hear a noise like that I would suggest stopping the car immediately and taking it to get fixed or fix it yourself. I am glad you were able to catch it without and damage. Also just keep an eye on the coilovers for any wear for the next couple of weeks
Old 05-27-05, 05:08 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us up to date with the TEIN'S
Old 05-27-05, 06:07 AM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Same thing happened to me. The top nut is not torqued from the Tein factory and "HAS" to be torqued when installed. Apparently 9 times out of 10 technitions don't do this. I guess they just assume it's tight since the coilover is more or less an assembly from the factory. At least you caught the problem early like I did and were able to rectify the situation.

-Nick
Old 05-27-05, 09:57 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

happened to me in the SC as well except in the front...popped right out...also, TEINs don't come with locking nuts which could be a major part of the problem...had them put on in the front
Old 05-28-05, 06:46 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Stories like this are scary....I need to print all of these hints, tips and experiences for the mechanic who will be installing my set next year.