Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problem pressing stock springs out?

Old 05-16-05, 08:51 PM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Problem pressing stock springs out?

Took my car into shop today and was having them put in my new L-sprotline springs. Problem is the guy called me and said the stock springs were not coming out of the assembly. Said that they are bending the steel plate that attatches to the to of the mechanism to push out the old spring. Has anybody else had this problem when upgrading their springs? Or is my shops compressor just about shot?

Thanks
Red
Old 05-16-05, 09:08 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rover
Took my car into shop today and was having them put in my new L-sprotline springs. Problem is the guy called me and said the stock springs were not coming out of the assembly. Said that they are bending the steel plate that attatches to the to of the mechanism to push out the old spring. Has anybody else had this problem when upgrading their springs? Or is my shops compressor just about shot?

Thanks
Red
red

im just going to take a shot at this

im pretty sure you need a spring compressor tool which attaches at 4 points

then like a clamp it compresses the spring then you take off the top

pull the spring out and that should be it

im just kinda lost on how they are bending the steel plate

but like i said im be totally wrong ..and thinking of another suspesnion setup

Old 05-17-05, 04:26 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not very good at describing the tool they are using but it is a manual spring compressor not an air one. You are right that it does attatch at 4 spots but it is just not doing the trick it seems. Did not know if this is a common problem or not when taking out the stock springs.

Thanks for the help though
Red
Old 05-17-05, 02:26 PM
SlowGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you reuse the shocks/struts? If not, then try this method, no spring compressor needed. Step on the spring while unbolt the top nut. When the nut come loose the compressed spring will shoot the shock/strut out. Don't worry it WILL NOT go far. I did this method on 3-4 different cars with no problem. The furthest the shock/strut went is about 8ft. Both the SC that I worked on, the shock only shoot out less than a foot. Disclamer: I have no response if you hurt yourself in the process, do it at your own risk
If you plan to keep the old shock/strut, then this method may not appropriate as you may damage the shock/strut. If you do it on grass then it should not do any damage to the shock/strut.