Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The Best - Dust Less Brakes Pads for Stock Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 08:24 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Best - Dust Less Brakes Pads for Stock Rotors

Hey guys, after searching and reading lots of old posts, i am still looking for the 'best' dust less brakes pads (street) for use with stock rotors. There has been no clear winner, everything from EBC, metal master, Endless.....etc.

Please post your real world experience and then the mods can pin this thread. If you could let us know from where you bought them and how long you've used them it would help those looking for something that will last.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-05, 08:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Good idea shftup! Can you please add the links to the prior discussions (there are a LOT of them already) on brake pads to this post if we're going to make a master post about the best brake pads.

I'd also suggest that you're going to get the same sort of answers from past threads - varied - because everyone has different driving styles, different wheels, etc that cause different results.

Also many of the members that have the most experience with different pads have also changed out their brakes for big brakes or put in non-OEM slotted or drilled rotors, and that causes different results as well. IF you're looking specifically for stock brakes, that's going to be a smaller group.
Old 05-07-05, 09:48 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Excellent idea DaveGS4 - I have spent the last couple of hours locating all those threads that I read, some go back to 2001.....here is a small list that have some really good information:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=pads

If anyone else finds more....please add them.
Old 05-07-05, 11:39 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a set of the EBC GREEN STUFF on stock rotors, and man all I can say is wow brake dust every were
Old 05-08-05, 06:07 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i was a ebc greenstuff guy for quite sometime until i figured out that they are not made for our cars.. they overheat easily and generally score and heat check the rotors badly. they were never designed for the weight of our cars coupled with aggresive street driving.. with my brembo sport rotors i used to get a growning noise with them whenever i came to a highspeed stop and then made a left or right turn, it seems the pad would deform and not knockback properly

well after alot of research in europe i found the subura , evo and made other street racers over there considered ebc a great company just that their greenstuff was barley entry level , they went for the ebc red stuff new compund ceramic pads , i put in a set yesterday while a swapped out a sticking supratt caliper with a new one and man what a diff... the initial bite when cold is almost equal to the greenstuff , but when heated up the coff of fricition really increases and bites hard with zero fade. no noises and so far no black dust being that they are ceramic

the best part is no rotor scoring and no heat checking..

i will be looking into another brand shortly when i change out my front setup for the lighter higher perf ls430 front calipers but for now if you drive aggresively and want a street/track worthy npad check out the new ebc red stuff CERAMICS , make sure its the new compound and not the v2 old fomula
Old 05-08-05, 08:50 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed,

Where do you find the EBC red ceramics. I searched the Tirerack site and they don't carry them.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-05, 09:19 AM
shftup
Intermediate

On the EBC Reds, whats the dust like?
Old 05-08-05, 09:36 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Default JacobT

I found them at www.perfectbrakes.com - $69..99 for the fronts. Hopefully Lexforlife will let us know on the dust from pads.
Also, check out - www.importrp.com - they have Akebono Pro-act ceramic pads, if you do a search on the forums we have a few members who have listed good reviews on them. I emailed them - here is their response:

We've got them, and they are in stock and ready to ship. The fronts are $69.99 for the set and the rears are $59.99 for the set. That is for the Akebono PRO-ACT ceramic pads. We also have the Akebono ACT pads, and they are cheaper, but most people want the PRO-ACT, so that is what I quoted you.
Old 05-08-05, 05:21 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. We'll wait for Lexfolife regarding the dust issue.
Old 05-08-05, 06:04 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JacobT
Ed,

Where do you find the EBC red ceramics. I searched the Tirerack site and they don't carry them.

Thanks.

forget tirerack they longer carry ebc brand

ajusa.com has them for all fitiments with free shipping.. i bought for the supra tt setup took them about 5days toget to them from ebc then 3 days to me for 89.95

i got them yesterday and love them with no dust because they are ceramics
Old 05-08-05, 06:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i was a ebc greenstuff guy for quite sometime until i figured out that they are not made for our cars.. they overheat easily and generally score and heat check the rotors badly. they were never designed for the weight of our cars coupled with aggresive street driving.. with my brembo sport rotors i used to get a growning noise with them whenever i came to a highspeed stop and then made a left or right turn, it seems the pad would deform and not knockback properly

well after alot of research in europe i found the subura , evo and made other street racers over there considered ebc a great company just that their greenstuff was barley entry level , they went for the ebc red stuff new compund ceramic pads , i put in a set yesterday while a swapped out a sticking supratt caliper with a new one and man what a diff... the initial bite when cold is almost equal to the greenstuff , but when heated up the coff of fricition really increases and bites hard with zero fade. no noises and so far no black dust being that they are ceramic

the best part is no rotor scoring and no heat checking..

i will be looking into another brand shortly when i change out my front setup for the lighter higher perf ls430 front calipers but for now if you drive aggresively and want a street/track worthy npad check out the new ebc red stuff CERAMICS , make sure its the new compound and not the v2 old fomula

Guys please remember this post is specifically about OEM brakes. If you're posting experience with non-OEM please make sure to state that up front in your post because that's a different equation.
Old 05-08-05, 07:42 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my rear rotors with the brembo cross drilled rotors and added the ebc greenstuff pads. In the front I have cross drilled rotors and axxis pads I believe. The greenstuff give off at least twice as much dust as the front pads. I cant believe it. I am cleaning those wheels every other day now because of the dust.

I will be changing out the rear pads when I figure out what I am doing with the front. Maybe I will try the EBC reds that Ed described.
Old 05-09-05, 05:08 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys please remember this post is specifically about OEM brakes. If you're posting experience with non-OEM please make sure to state that up front in your post because that's a different equation.

dave , my reply also apllies to stock setup as well , the ebc green are not a good match for the power and weight on the gs400 , i have spent countless days reading lots of forums in europe as well as talking to a place called the brakewarehouse.com the guys name is bob and hes been in the brake business for 20 years and is not afraid to share his knowledge of the industry

the ebc greenstuff pad is strictly entry level for sport compacts although a application does exisit for our gs

i would highly recc the ebc red stuff ceramics , i have spending the last day bedding them in and what a diff , no dust and i mean 95% no dust and the reason is the ceramic formula leaves a clear residue instead of kevalar and metalllic formulas which emit a brownish to blackish residue , the ceramics leave no scoring whatsoever and run much cooler for ceramic absorb more heat instead of transfering or conducting right through the pad to rotor and back

so far i am loving my brakes again
Old 05-09-05, 06:40 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Axis Ultimates all the way. Go to http://www.cobaltfriction.com/ to pick them up. That site has comparisons and temp ratings. I had them on my past 3 cars and love them. Minimal to zero dust, no squeel, no fade. I have to admit that on really cold days, -15C or around there, they did emie a horrific squeel, but only for half a second, and only for the first time the brakes are applied. Other than that, they stopped great and never faded.

Oh, P.S., that site will give you a 15% discount if you belong to a car club. Just call in.
Old 05-09-05, 07:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by lexforlife
dave , my reply also apllies to stock setup as well , the ebc green are not a good match for the power and weight on the gs400 , i have spent countless days reading lots of forums in europe as well as talking to a place called the brakewarehouse.com the guys name is bob and hes been in the brake business for 20 years and is not afraid to share his knowledge of the industry
Ed - I don't 100% agree that experience with various pads on a brake different setup is a direct comparsion. Absolutely no problems sharing your observations (thanks for that and for the other folks that chip in), I'm just suggesting you caveat it up front because they are different brakes. If we're looking for brake pad observations in general, we could put this in the tires & brakes forum or car chat and let the SC, LS, GX, LX, etc owners who have tried aftermarket brake pads chip in too as their findings should apply just the same. But I think the thread starter is looking for observations on pads that will work on stock 2nd gen GS brakes.

The different brakes (Supra TT up front and LS out back for you) have different pad sizes which create a substantially different footprint on the rotor, different number of pistons that clamp down in different spots, with different friction and brake wear characteristics, wheel requirements etc. The pads are likely the exact same compound and probably will have similar dusting and stopping characteristics, but you and I can't say for sure because we have not tried them on OEM brakes. That's all I'm saying.

On the EBC Redstuff - I'd be very cautionary about throwing out a high recommendation of the pads if you're only bedding the brakes in. We might all find these are the best thing since sliced bread over time, but IMO one day isn't enough to give anything more than inital thoughts and observations on 'em. Give 'em a little time

Quick Reply: The Best - Dust Less Brakes Pads for Stock Rotors