Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! L-Tuned suspension install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 05:01 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! L-Tuned suspension install question

Ok so i'm assembling the front L-Tuned shocks/springs to put back into the car and am trying to line up the top of the assembly so that it will line up with the lower shock mount.

It appears that when you line up the bottom of the coil onto the shock, you won't be able to line up the top boot/ strut tower plate to be in the alignment you need. Since the upper boot has been preformed i assumed you want to reuse the indentations to line up the top of the spring but it looks like the L-Tuned springs don't end where the stock one's do and i know it won't line up that way.

Should i ignore the indentations or will the spring line itself up as i decompress it?

any help would be appreciated
Old 05-06-05, 06:55 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

I ignored the indentations.

When you decompress the springs, the original indentations don't matter much anymore.
Old 05-06-05, 07:01 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Cool, thanks for the tip. Well i'm still messing with getting the first one aligned. it seems my spring compressors must be thicker than yours, there's no way i would be able to get at the bolts on the compressors if i was trying to do it on the car. I can't put them on upside down cause the bolts will eventually get too long up top and start pushing on the strut tower.

I've compressed/decompressed a few times now and found the factory markings will not work. it seems like the top will need to be about 30* off from where it was factory to line up.

back to work i go
Old 05-06-05, 09:19 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Don't remove the spring compressors inside the car, just put the strut in place with the compressors on to align the shock.

Then, take the strut out and remove the spring compressors.
Old 05-07-05, 07:38 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

edit,

ok i got the assembly in there and lined up but the bottom of the sping is not against the edge of the shock perch. I can't turn the spring to get it lined up because the compressors are up against the car. Do i need to get this lined up or will it slide into place after driving a bit?
My instincts tell me it needs to be lined up but I'm not sure

Thanks again

Tony

Last edited by flossn; 05-07-05 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-07-05, 09:08 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Default ok got it!!

Got it up here's what I would suggest for others:

1. the ltuned symbol faces forward and when putting on the compressors. put the compressors on either side of the sybol so it's centered between the two compressors. that way you can test fit them on the car before you decompress them. on the driver side the L-Tuned symbol will face towards the car so you can't see it, but the placement of the compressors holds true.

2. mark the the upper strut plate with the end of the lower part of the spring so you can re-align them how they need to be. DO THIS ON THE FACTORY SETUP BEFORE TAKING IT APART. don't worry about marking the spring, it won't match up with the L-Tuned anyways. I never took the other front apart yet and it should go 10x faster this way.

3. I would almost say air tools are necessary with this type of compressor. maybe im just weak, but it would take some serious strength to compress the last little bit needed when putting them together.

4. i used wood boards when lowering the car off the jack, even with my 20's, the jack wanted to catch on the plastic undercover.

FRONTS ARE IN! Now for the rears.........

Last edited by flossn; 05-07-05 at 11:04 AM.