Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ALignment and Balancing GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 12:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default ALignment and Balancing GS

Brought my car to my local mechanice and got a rotation,balance, and alignment.... I just got the car a few weeks ago so i wanted to get it done. I didn't know when the last time it was ever done.
Going to pick it up soon and I'll let you know...

I've read some other threads about vibration,road noise, and shaking.... I can atest to this because it sometimes happens to mine... I've read lot on CL of this problem and there doesn't seem to be a permanant fix only temperary. Really i just notice some raod noise and some vibration... The brakes seem to stop on a dime but then again with 54,500 miles they might be original also...

The price for all this was $100.65. Is this a good price and is it more because of the suspension difference from GS300 to 400 and the 17 inch wheels? that price doesn't seem to high considering its a Lexus.... Any thoughts or is this in the ballpark of a good price....

Next up......tranny drain/refill or full flush?
Old 05-04-05, 02:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well just got the car back and i can tell it rides better than before. He said the balancing was off a little and when he drove it he could tell that there was alot of road noise and he thought there was something wrong...He also said the only way around that would be a softer tire which means it would wear alot quicker and i'd go through tires like crazy...Plus because its a wider tire 8 iches so that plays a part in road noise to....So far so good........ Tony
Old 05-04-05, 03:24 PM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

tmf2004

I have been experiencing the same problem lately, and It reciently occured ever since I did my front brakes. I know that I need to have my alignment done since it is slightly pulling to the right so I just called a local tire chain shop and they quoted me $150.00 for a lifetime alignment and it will be another $100.00 or less for the tire balancing.

Currently running on 19" Konig Theory wrapped in Falcon tires.

I am getting a shimmy between 50 and 65 so freeway driving is at 70+ but I will need to watch for tire wear due to the expensive shoes she wears.

I believe you got a good deal for $100.65

Revhard191
Old 05-04-05, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Revhard191
tmf2004

I have been experiencing the same problem lately, and It reciently occured ever since I did my front brakes. I know that I need to have my alignment done since it is slightly pulling to the right so I just called a local tire chain shop and they quoted me $150.00 for a lifetime alignment and it will be another $100.00 or less for the tire balancing.

Currently running on 19" Konig Theory wrapped in Falcon tires.

I am getting a shimmy between 50 and 65 so freeway driving is at 70+ but I will need to watch for tire wear due to the expensive shoes she wears.

I believe you got a good deal for $100.65

Revhard191
Aftermarket rims are usually the culprit and the larger the rim the more likely to have some balance issues. I'm sure your Konigs are not hubcentric so do you have centering rings on?

Also, with tires on a 19" rim the sidewall is so short that you'll have flat spots every time you run the car from cold for a few miles. So does it get somewhat smoother after you drive for a few miles?

Performance tires (especially on 19" rims) just don't last long, usually 20K max, and they ALL get noisy as they wear.

So if you've got unacceptable noise you probably need new tires. They may not look worn out but it could also be uneven wear or inner wear.

If you've got shimmy you need to look at:

wheels/rings (including bent rims!)
tires (worn, cupped, flat spots)
alignment
balance (high speed on car is the best kind but hard to find)
worn suspension parts
resurfacing brake rotors

Some background on my car and me - I REALLY dislike any shimmy, but with 19" HRE hubcentric rims the 'fat tire size' setup (245/40 and 275/35), high speed on car balance and alignment every 5K my car is SMOOTH at all speeds after the first couple of miles to overcome flat spots from when the car sits.
Old 05-04-05, 10:28 PM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

bitkahuna

Just a little history before the shimmy: 2 or 3 weeks ago I replaced my front brakes and she was not shimming at all at any speed. When I replaced my brakes and put the wheels back on, that is when I noticed the shimmy in the front end between 50 and 65 mph.

I do remember asking my uncle what the plastic pieces where in the middle my rims and he said it was to make sure that the wheels were centered on my car.

From that point till now, I have had the shimmy, so I figured that I will definately need a wheel alignment as well as a high speed balance to make sure that my wheels are like before, nice and smooth.

I will be taking it in to the shop next week, so I hope to get all of this resolved soon!

This weekend I plan on doing the rear brakes and checking them as well.

Has anyone ever hear of putting the wheel back on the same bolts that it was taken off of? (I hope that made sense?)

Revhard191
Old 05-06-05, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Revhard191
bitkahuna

Just a little history before the shimmy: 2 or 3 weeks ago I replaced my front brakes and she was not shimming at all at any speed. When I replaced my brakes and put the wheels back on, that is when I noticed the shimmy in the front end between 50 and 65 mph.

I do remember asking my uncle what the plastic pieces where in the middle my rims and he said it was to make sure that the wheels were centered on my car.

From that point till now, I have had the shimmy, so I figured that I will definately need a wheel alignment as well as a high speed balance to make sure that my wheels are like before, nice and smooth.

I will be taking it in to the shop next week, so I hope to get all of this resolved soon!

This weekend I plan on doing the rear brakes and checking them as well.

Has anyone ever hear of putting the wheel back on the same bolts that it was taken off of? (I hope that made sense?)

Revhard191
Thanks for the background. The plastic centering rings can get damaged so that might be the issue. About the bolts or lugs the rim was on, shouldn't make any difference unless you somehow didn't get them all torqued down evenly (hopefully you know, do every other one, bit at a time, preferably using a torque wrench at 76lbs I believe). I take it you did put the same rim back on the same side at least and didn't accidentally put them left on the right and vice versa? That could definitely cause shimmy.

If it started after you replaced the brakes I doubt an alignment is going to make any difference unfortunately.

Good luck and let us know how you resolve it.
Old 05-06-05, 04:15 PM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

bitkahuna

I am planning on checking them again for accuracy, the way I took them off is the same way I put them back on. I am going to be doing the rear brakes tomorrow so I will double check my torques and check the hubcentric rings.

I appreciate all of the trouble shooting information, and I will make sure that I Torque the lug nuts at 76flbs.

As for the alignment, I will be needing that just to make sure the the my shoes are wearing out evenly. I hope!

Revhard191

Now if I can only figure out how to do my car in my signature I would be a happy man