Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 08:21 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension on a budget

This may be an oxy-moron, but let's say you had $1,500 to spend on upgrades to your suspension. Would you go the way of coilovers and braces, or for example L-tuned S/S and sway bars, you get where I'm going with this? I like the thought of maintaining daily driver capabilities, but also the option of adding 19s in the future and not having to upgrade again. All opinions welcome.
Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i would get say the hks coilover (is it a bit cheaper? i remember some coilover that's like 1000 bucks) and then daizen sways. right at 1500 mark, and you get the best handling jump you can imagine
Old 04-12-05, 09:56 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

The TEIN Super Street Coilover is priced at about 850. At that price point is there a substantial difference between an 850 and a 1000 dollar coilover. And then there's always the route of used eqmt., though I would prefer new...
Old 04-12-05, 09:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am assuming you are not including the install cost or are doing it yourself? Even if you cannot get anything else now and coilovers are even being considered, I would go with coilovers. For some, S/S is enough and coilovers are not even in the running. Once it is, though, you will always wonder.

You can always add more braces depending on your budget (now and later). Just peeking at the horizon, Daizen sways would definitely be next if coilovers are not enough for you.
Old 04-12-05, 11:15 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
I am assuming you are not including the install cost or are doing it yourself? Even if you cannot get anything else now and coilovers are even being considered, I would go with coilovers. For some, S/S is enough and coilovers are not even in the running. Once it is, though, you will always wonder.

You can always add more braces depending on your budget (now and later). Just peeking at the horizon, Daizen sways would definitely be next if coilovers are not enough for you.
Are you saying go with coilovers first, then sways and then braces?
Or coilovers and braces, and then sways if I still want more?
Old 04-12-05, 11:15 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Being on a budget and wishing to maintain daily driveability, I'd do each mod at a time, starting with sways. IMO, sways will give you the most bang for the buck. After living with the sways for a while and feeling how they affect the stock ride, you can then choose the next mod accordingly. In my case, my new sways affected the stock ride so much, that I decided to keep rolling on stock 16s, rather than "upgrading" to 18s. Good luck.
Old 04-12-05, 11:23 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by STONER
Are you saying go with coilovers first, then sways and then braces?
Or coilovers and braces, and then sways if I still want more?
I was suggesting the first option: coliovers, sways, then braces.

JellyBean makes a good point though. If all you are interested in is better handling, sways first on the OEM 16s do make a significant impact. The only issue with that is you said you want 19s which in turn means lowering. You cannot do this with sways. He liked it enough to stay with 16s but this does not seem like an option for you.

Coilovers will make an impact in handling as well. Add to that the lowering aspect, weight reduction at the corners, and the stiffer sidewall of the 19s, you will get better handling anyway. If that is not enough, then go to sways.
Old 04-12-05, 01:14 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you can't do an aftermarket sway on a dropped car?
Old 04-12-05, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

tein ss is very stiff, so unless you want to hurt your back, i suggest against it

if you want handling (and partially look as well), i suggest coilover, and then sways, and then braces as well

no, chicago, neo meant to say that the sways wont' be able to get the lowering fact that the coilover can achieve
Old 04-12-05, 01:31 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
So you can't do an aftermarket sway on a dropped car?
I think Neo meant that sways won't lower your car. And he's right. Springs determine your ride height.
Old 04-12-05, 02:14 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by rominl
tein ss is very stiff, so unless you want to hurt your back, i suggest against it
Are you referring to my S/S = Shocks/Springs? I would not suggest the Tein SS either.

Thanks to you and JellBean for clearing up what I meant with the sways.
Old 04-12-05, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
Are you referring to my S/S = Shocks/Springs? I would not suggest the Tein SS either.

Thanks to you and JellBean for clearing up what I meant with the sways.
no not springs/shocks

http://www.tein.com/lexus.html

the tein ss coilover system, now it's the basic system for the gs. i believe that's replacement for the HA. i think the ss you can't adjust the dampening?
Old 04-12-05, 05:35 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Default tein ss

I was only using those as an example of coilovers that cost under $1000. I guess the coilovers and the sways could come to around 1500 (my target) for suspension, and from what I understand that combination would make a world of difference to the ride and handling. Also, I don't want to go the way of the folks that immediately regret not spending a couple more bucks and not getting what they really wanted.
Old 04-12-05, 07:27 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by STONER
I was only using those as an example of coilovers that cost under $1000. I guess the coilovers and the sways could come to around 1500 (my target) for suspension, and from what I understand that combination would make a world of difference to the ride and handling. Also, I don't want to go the way of the folks that immediately regret not spending a couple more bucks and not getting what they really wanted.
And don't forget the install cost, or is that on a different budget.

Originally Posted by rominl
no not springs/shocks
LOL. I must have missed when STONER mentioned the SS. I thought you were referring to my mention of s/s and you missed the /.
Old 04-13-05, 05:15 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Neo]And don't forget the install cost, or is that on a different budget.

Yes, different budget.

Quick Reply: Suspension on a budget