Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tom's braces rusting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 08:05 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom's braces rusting

I have had my Tom's braces on for a couple of years now. Well while i was doing my oil change, i happen to look at my suspension stuff. I can't beleive that it has rust on it. On portions of the braces, the red or maroon color is gone and is continueing to chip away. I would maybe expect this up north where they salt the roads, but down south? Am i the only one with this happening?

Guess i'll go get it powder coated to prevent anymore damage.

Should i have expected this from a part that goes under the car and is exposed to all sorts of muck?
Old 04-04-05, 08:25 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1niceride
I have had my Tom's braces on for a couple of years now. Well while i was doing my oil change, i happen to look at my suspension stuff. I can't beleive that it has rust on it. On portions of the braces, the red or maroon color is gone and is continueing to chip away. I would maybe expect this up north where they salt the roads, but down south? Am i the only one with this happening?

Guess i'll go get it powder coated to prevent anymore damage.

Should i have expected this from a part that goes under the car and is exposed to all sorts of muck?
same happens to mine but i spray some rustolem paint that matches just at the rust area to prevent it from spreading , been working for a year now
Old 04-04-05, 08:35 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
same happens to mine but i spray some rustolem paint that matches just at the rust area to prevent it from spreading , been working for a year now
Mine are OK but I agree with Ed. Unless you are showing the car from the underside or are really particular (nothing wrong with that ), there is no need to powder coat the piece again.
Old 04-04-05, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i am wondering, after couple more yrs would the whole thing rust and break off?

i think you might have scrapped it one or so and the red coating started to peel. plus some water and rust will appear?
Old 04-05-05, 07:12 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given enough time, the rust will compromise the structural integrity of the brace. Sounds like getting a paint job/powder coat would be good idea for the long haul. I would recommend using a zinc chromate rich primer prior to the final coat. The zinc chromate primer will enhance the corrosion resistance of the steel brace.