Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut bar - what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 07:22 PM
dgangi

I have seen a number of people reference an aftermarket item called a strut bar. I am assuming the device is a bar that is mouned in the engine compartment over the top of the engine and connects on each side to the top of each strut tower.

Is this correct? What is this device supposed to do? Does it work? Is it worth buying?

Just curious. I don't know much about suspension modifications other than the usual sway bars and springs/struts.

Thx...Doug
Old 06-07-01, 08:56 PM
RacingAristo

Just a friendly reminder, perhaps next time when you are seeking answers for your questions, try "Search" feature on the top of the right hand corner.

And yes, STB is the metal bar that connects two upper mounts of the suspension. If you only install one STB, either front or rear, you will get oversteering or understeering. That is one main reason I don't go with this upgrade unless I put a bar in the trunk too.
Old 06-12-01, 11:01 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the front STB before I did the chassis brace or sway bars. It definitely tightens up the steering and makes the car more responsive. By reducing the flex in the chassis, your car is more responsive to the steering wheel; but it will stiffen the ride.

I did the springs first, and it stiffened the ride a little bit and made cornering flatter. I then added the steering ECU which seemed to take the play out of the wheel, mostly at higher speeds. The STB was next, and it made the steering wheel more responsive and quicker. Next came the sway bars, and that really made the car steer like a go kart. It also stiffened the ride. My last addition was going to 235/35 19's on the front and 275/30's 19's running Nitto 555 Extremes. That greatly increased the cornering grip of the car.

I don't think you're going to concern yourself with understeering and oversteering unless you take your car to the track or do some extreme cornering. I think the STB is a great addition if you want a more responsive wheel.