Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY for brake caliper shift / popping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 08:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY for brake caliper shift / popping?

From what I understand I can get rid of the very loud popping noise that comes from my brake calipers when the shift from front to back when going from drive to reverse in my driveway or parking lots by just greasing them up... but exactly where am I supposed to grease?

My damn Lexus dealer told me they would do this under my last warranty service. They didn't do it but I decided it wasn't that big of a deal (and it wasn't as it was a barely noticable noise) but now it's VERY loud, like to the point it almost sounds like I tapped into another car or something. And now my damn dealer has told me twice that there isn't a fix for the noise and that it's 'normal'. Way to change the story. Now I guess I need to fix it...
Old 03-26-05, 09:07 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im quite confused with ur post
-how do u get this pop/clink noise?
-is it when u apply pressure to ur brake?
-if yes, where is the sound coming from? front or rear brakes?

only plausible idea i can think of is that the "pop" noise is coming from the rear caliper. its most likely due to worn out rear pads. the pistons on the rear looses pressure when the car shuts off (this can also happen when cruising because the vibrations coming from the road) causing the rear pistion to retreat back into the caliper. finally when brake the "pop/clink" noise is due the pistion hitting the metal shim (not sure if thats the right name of it).

heres a rough text diagram of how the rear brakes work:
caliper -> piston -> metal shim 2pc. -> brakepad -> rotor <- brakepad <- metal shim 2pc. <- piston <- caliper
Old 03-29-05, 11:06 PM
cc91222
Driver School Candidate

im having the same problem, did you fix it yet by chance?
Old 03-29-05, 11:13 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Check out this link and read the PDF, it has everything you're asking for https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/1940/1/156/
Old 03-30-05, 07:10 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Check out this link and read the PDF, it has everything you're asking for https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/1940/1/156/
Awesome, thanks man... but what kind of grease should I be using? I'd like something that will last as long as possible, cost be damned.
The following users liked this post:
5thwardgs4 (04-26-19)
Old 04-10-05, 07:29 PM
Oly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Threxx, I have the same problem with my GS430. I just came from my lexus dealer, took one of their diagnostic techs for a ride. He agreed that yep, they are clicking/clunking. I have also checked with another lexus dealer in a different town, same reaction. Its normal. But - they also both said the grease is just a sort of band-aid that does not last. The tech said that when its due for pad repalcement, if you want to eliminate or reduce the noise to be sure and install a Fit Kit. Part # 0494730120. Its for the front calipers, as they are whats shifting when changing directions and applying the brakes. Also, check the condition of the anti-squeel shimms as they may also need replacing. The Fit Kit consists of new X springs, clips etc. that hold the pad in the caliper assembly. I don't know if a Fit Kit will eliminate the clicking on old pads or not. But I know when I install the new pads, I will also install a Fit Kit and possibly a Shimm kit. The Fit Kit costs about $45.00 and should be a set for the front calipers. I guess it also depends on if you do alot of in town driving or freeway driving. I assume the in town is worse, because of the added stop and go as well as backing up and going forward associated with parking lots etc. Any way, thats what the tech told me, he seemed to be very up on the situation. Hope this helps.....
The following users liked this post:
vnaicker91 (04-03-17)
Old 06-10-05, 12:14 PM
cc91222
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help, will be getting the Fit Kit. Part # 0494730120. I'm fed up with the noise, can't take it anymore, grease was just like he said a band aid wore off after not even 2 1/2 months
Old 06-18-05, 12:49 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

the caliber may be frozen and need to be replaced
Old 06-21-05, 06:34 PM
cc91222
Driver School Candidate

ive had them to replace and put new ones on, still same popping noise, anyone tried the kit?
Old 06-27-05, 06:44 AM
lopchild
Driver School Candidate

Default All these previous posts are WRONG. NOTHING with the "brakes"

My gs400 Has had this problem since the day I bought it. I bought it with under 20K on it.

Let me guess...you also have ****ty handling problems, going thru tires like mad(mostly wearing on inside edges of front tires), crappy and/or unstable braking problems, and you just about despise driving the car on the freeway over 60 mph, because the car is flighty or skittish?

Your car is doing "salamander eyes" with the front wheels. Each one is doing its own thing. The cars suspension is not connecting the wheels touching the road to the car accurately. They change every time you pull the car off the alignment rack. So each time you think it is re-aligned...it just got UN-realigned 5 minutes later. Why no one can figure this out is beyond me. I went to at least 10 places. That was after about 10 times to Lexus. Then I started thinking maybe Lexus was being evasive or hiding something. Either that or their tech's had Down's Syndrome. No one found it.

I bought mine certified in 2001 through a Lexus Certified Pre-owned in Santa Monica. It has been to the shop 38 times for the problems I describe below. i have prepared a long videotape with my history with this car. I love the car...but the suspension sucks ***. It is totally a case of big business F&*%*%$ the little guy. They stall you with that damn "brake clicking" bullcrap until your warranty expires, then as soon as warranty expires....BAM! (in Emeril lingo) you need the following 4000.00 repair:

New control arms (w/bushings) (upper and Lower)
New Ball Joints
New shocks/Struts

I kept telling those bastards that it isnt a clicking, it is a popping/snapping like the car is falling apart - Or like metal is rubbing on metal that shouldn't be rubbing on metal!

Finally after the 37th time, A shop - Spence alignment in Glendale, located the problem. I have to give it to the tech, Adolfo, who found it.....bring a printout of this to their shop to familiarize them. I had a 1998 Cinnamon colored GS400. I talked to Alan, and the tech was Adolfo. Thanks Adolfo! You did what 7 other major tire/alignment/repair shops couldn't do. Locate the source of my many pains. It was the control arm Bushings. i think front and rear. Front was my main concern though....for handling issues.

I went thru 9 sets of tires in under 40K miles, 3 sets of rims and tires, since i kept being told "your aftermarket rims and tires are cousing this problem". So i bought new ones, and another new set., and another. Although the main reason I bought the FIRST set, is cuz the handling sucked!

When at Spence, I had the guys check on prices. I was jazzed to find out what the damn problem was & just get it fixed! Until I got the price. Nearly 4K. And my car had just gone out of warranty.

The Lexus dealer near my house(not Santa Monica - but Glendale) says "I couldn't keep that part on the shelf...they fly off the shelf So I've constantly got extra large orders in to make sure i have that part."

Turns out Lexus thought to themselves, "how can we charge 5 bills for each control arm bushing on the car?" we need a 3-4K repair after warranty!" Well, they couldn't. So they compressed the bushing into the control arm - thus making the bushing alone unreplaceable without replacing the whole f*&(%^*%$ arm. Now they have a 500 per wheel replacement part.

In addition, I had a 1996 Lexus LS400 which had the same problem. Clunking, crappy handling, squirelly as hell...and I have done no lowering, etc, etc. to these cars. I sold that car right when the warranty expired - and was happy to get out of the damn car, and ****ty handling. I thought to myself, I'll get the sportier Lexus, yet still appear business-professional. then I get handling and professional. Not to happen for me. (at least the handling part).

I went thru 7 sets of tires in 50K miles on the LS400. no rims though. It had chromer Grandpa's on there. Cant really mess with that car, as far as rims, etc.

Here's what i did. i wrote Lexus of US. Excellent customer service, as we would come to expect. Tons of follow up calls. But when I mention control arm bushings... we get a t-fer to a legal guy there. Totally different line of communication. Bossy, non-committal, etc. Just like an attorney.

Anyhow, I have video taped all my reciepts, documented everything. I am(tomorrow) due in to Lexus to turn the car in for an "inspection". I have a feeling they are going to rig the vehicle with either new control arms (just for the "inspection"), and set something else out of alignment and say "it was just out of alignment".... or whatever. Or they will correctly say the parts are bad, or the infamous "no visible damage...."etc. and replace "as a courtesy". Then they will hand me some other cars' parts. Because I am demanding my old parts back. I have that on recorded phone call. I dont trust these liars.

Secondly, I am taking the car to a shop nearby, having it put on a lift, and with an engraver - I am marking the control arms in a "secret spot" to see if these are the ones returned to me. Or if there were new ones put on the car. All videotaped, of course.

Lastly, with a 12V starter kit(emergency power battery jumper) I am wiring a hidden time lapse VCR with splitter to two cameras. One inside the car, one underneath the car. Both with audio. I am going to catch any funny business Lexus is up to with this control arm ****.

Email me for results.

Yes, it seems like a lot of work. but i am one pissed off customer. Scammed on two cars - for over 6 years! For 6 years I have driven miserably, wondering if it is in my head or what?! In supposedly "the relentless pursuit of perfection". I tell ya....I aint seen it!

In 2003, I finally bought another car that could really handle. I guess I had some "make up" to do in the cornering department. I bought a 2003 350Z, which pretty much left the GS collecting dust in the garage. The next time I tried to drive it the battery was totally dead, if that tells you how sick of that car's instability I was. Now my Z has like 30K miles on it(which all should have been on the GS). THe Gs has like 55K on it now. The Gs is in absolutely perfect condition, no dents, scratches, or anything. They cant say it was abused. Never in a wreck(to my knowledge).

Oh yeah... in both the LS and GS .....The tech goes for a ride with me in both cars.......
saying "seems fine to me....heh heh" almost sneering at me. But it is not something that can be pointed out in a 5 minute ride. Tell the ************ to take the car for a week. He'll come back screaming for his car back!

I say its like the Dukes of Hazzard ride....you know how they were on a straight road and for some reason their hands were always steering? that's what my car is like. To make a lane change is easy, correcting that lane change is the hard part. Especially if the lane change is done in a hurry, or in wet conditions. It is downright dangerous.

Ever seen the part in "fight club" with Edward Norton about his job at the car manufacturer. This is one of those iffy recall items. If enough people get hurt, or Lexus risks more money paying settlements to people like me ....who are so pissed off by either inconvenience or injury/death - that they pursue legally - then they will issue a recall on this dangerous item.

Bet they didnt plan on their "planned mechanical obsolescence" being such a hazard to driving. Do you know auto, appliance, and home product manufacturers have WHOLE DEPARTMENTS thinking up how to make **** go wrong, right at the expiration of warranty?

I have a Sears Kenmore dishwasher(made by Whirlpool) which is next on my list to call quits to their game. Same type of thing as this car. Stops working right after 1 year warranty. I found the problem there. Plastic piece, with air bubbles in the mold. Cracked right at its weakest point. Giant air bubble in the plastic where it cracked. Tell me that's not planned!

Look out for yourselves. if something breaks.....ask yourself WHY? Its all to keep us so damn busy, we dont notice our lives are spent replacing or fixing the crappy **** we are sold. Then fixing or replacing that item.

If I get hurt driving this ****ing car.....ever seen the end of Fight club?... heh heh.

Sorry so long. I just wanted to vent my anger, and help other owners deal with that frustrating issue. Took me two cars and probably 50-60 trips to shops to pinpoint it. But then again, I was TRUSTING Lexus and these shops for their expertise. SO was I looking for any problem myself, NO?! It wouldn't have taken me but 3 trips had someone told me "they may be hiding something".

If you write Lexus, do NOT flame them. Write calmly, and DO NOT send email. Send certified regular mail to Alan Ziegler. Send to Torrance, CA main office. He is the guy making **** happen. I'll save you 20 phone calls inching your way to the right guy. Tell him you are in contact with me. My name can be reached by emailing me. Tell him we are sharing info. AND KEEP YOUR RECORDS clean, in order, and all your costs involved with this ****.

Originally Posted by Oly
Hey Threxx, I have the same problem with my GS430. I just came from my lexus dealer, took one of their diagnostic techs for a ride. He agreed that yep, they are clicking/clunking. I have also checked with another lexus dealer in a different town, same reaction. Its normal. But - they also both said the grease is just a sort of band-aid that does not last. The tech said that when its due for pad repalcement, if you want to eliminate or reduce the noise to be sure and install a Fit Kit. Part # 0494730120. Its for the front calipers, as they are whats shifting when changing directions and applying the brakes. Also, check the condition of the anti-squeel shimms as they may also need replacing. The Fit Kit consists of new X springs, clips etc. that hold the pad in the caliper assembly. I don't know if a Fit Kit will eliminate the clicking on old pads or not. But I know when I install the new pads, I will also install a Fit Kit and possibly a Shimm kit. The Fit Kit costs about $45.00 and should be a set for the front calipers. I guess it also depends on if you do alot of in town driving or freeway driving. I assume the in town is worse, because of the added stop and go as well as backing up and going forward associated with parking lots etc. Any way, thats what the tech told me, he seemed to be very up on the situation. Hope this helps.....

Last edited by lopchild; 06-27-05 at 06:51 AM. Reason: adding a few words to help clarity
Old 06-27-05, 07:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Wow, lopchild.

I'm nearly positive that mine the brakes clicking. I have another weird issue that could have something to do with the suspension, but pad shift is a documented issue with these cars, and if it were instead the ball joints, then applying grease to the back of the pads would not correct the noise.

Sounds like you've had some terrible experiences with your car and I wouldn't blame you one bit for never wanting to touch a Toyota-made product again in your life, but I can assure you that from what I know, that is not the norm.
Old 08-07-05, 05:50 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default What a relief

Originally Posted by Oly
I too was getting a popping noise from front brakes. Got the fit kit and new shim kit when had my brakes done a few weeks ago. The noise is gone so far.......Thanks for the tip on the fit kit.
Old 07-13-06, 03:58 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddies mom just got a 2003 GS300, and they are experiencing problems with their Braking. They say its somewhat weaker braking than it should, and once in a while it does the popping thing when shifting from Drive to Reverse. I read that little article about the popping, but it was only applicable till the 2000's models, can someone verify if its the same problem that they are having? Here are some pics.

Old 07-13-06, 07:00 PM
luciano
Pole Position

Good thing you brought back this thread from the dead, this is the exact problem im having! and I couldn't find any answers. I just changed my control arm bushings with the Daizens and I still have this problem. Anyone have any luck with this Fix Kit?
Old 07-13-06, 09:04 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luciano
Good thing you brought back this thread from the dead, this is the exact problem im having! and I couldn't find any answers. I just changed my control arm bushings with the Daizens and I still have this problem. Anyone have any luck with this Fix Kit?
Yes. The front brake fit kit does the trick for all brake induced popping EXCEPT when shifting from P to D. I've been told by more than one tech that the shift popping, as I've heard it called, is normal for the brake design on these cars. I used to experience popping that had nothing to do with shifting, but did popping when turning, especailly at low speed. The fit kit eliminated all of it!!

Quick Reply: DIY for brake caliper shift / popping?