Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY for brake caliper shift / popping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 03:09 AM
luciano
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the kit easy to put on my existing pads/calipers? or does the caliper have to be taken apart
Old 07-14-06, 08:50 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll need swing up the floating caliper to remove the pads. The grease used is either CRC brand or Permatex brand caliper grease. A thin coat, used sparingly, where the pads contact the new clip "fix" kit.
Old 09-03-06, 03:18 AM
luciano
Pole Position

Fit kit and Shim kit installed, and PROBLEM SOLVED. thanks guys the brakes feel new again.
Old 09-06-06, 06:09 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you guys buy the kit and where did you get it installed.

Prices also if you guys can remember.
I think I am having the EXACT same problem on my car.
Old 09-06-06, 09:09 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The brake shim and fit kits are Lexus dealer supplied.
Old 09-07-06, 01:09 AM
luciano
Pole Position

Bought the kits at the lexus dealer, CDN$45 for shim kit and $45 for the fitting kit. My mechanic installed them for $70 (1hour labour)
Old 09-07-06, 08:36 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I paid $45 for the fit kit and had it installed at the same time with new brake pads. The clicking is reduced to a minimum level. You could tell inside the car. From outside, you'd have to stand next to the front and pay attention to detect a faint "click". I'm happy. Having that clicking noise was a little embarassing to me.
Old 09-08-06, 06:21 AM
luciano
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
I paid $45 for the fit kit and had it installed at the same time with new brake pads. The clicking is reduced to a minimum level. You could tell inside the car. From outside, you'd have to stand next to the front and pay attention to detect a faint "click". I'm happy. Having that clicking noise was a little embarassing to me.

lol tell me about it, I pull up to the entrance of a hotel in south beach and I see 2 nice broads sitting infront of the lobby, as I come to a stop *CLUNK*
Old 11-01-06, 09:32 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone use non-oem shim kit?
If so, please let me know.

I found a site selling a set for $10.
carpartsDOTcom
Old 11-20-06, 06:50 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory FIT KIT worked for my car this weekend. I did not change my pads again, since they were done 3 months ago. After I put the kit in, the brake clicking quickly disappeared, and the final clicking in the suspension was cured today by tightening up on EVERY bolt and nut under the car in the front suspension.

My entire SUBFRAME was shifting slightly when I went from front to rear and applied the brakes, AND when going in and out of a driveway at slow speed WHEN HOT. When the car was driven a few miles, the clicking began when changing directions. My alignment shop found it today. Mine has been clicking since a 5000 mile cross-country road trip over the summer ended. Louisiana has some horrible roads. I was born there, and they are pretty bad. It has been driving me NUTS.

Tighten every nut and bolt in the subframe by hand...Strut retainer bolts top and bottom, ALL stabilizer bolts, upper and lower A arm bolts, upper and lower ball joint bolts, rack and pinion hold down bolts, and all SUBFRAME bolts that connect the front end to the chassis underneath. Take your time, there are a lot of nuts and bolts to tighten. I thought they were all tight, but they weren't. Tightening all of these bolts should keep things from moving. I don't know exactly WHICH bolts were loose, but added together, it fixed my problem. WOO-HOO! I'm HAPPY!

Last edited by gserep1; 11-20-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 11:15 AM
Billcifer
Driver School Candidate

I have the same clunking noise upon reverse / stop / then forward. I dont have OEM calipers I have Supra. I am also am "hoping" that it would only be the shims or go away when I change out the bushings I am puting in for the control arm, sway bar, and steering rack with new set of daizen. It is the most anoying sound when you are trying ot roll away quitely. Makes the car sound like its falling apart....
Old 08-02-07, 04:26 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, the grease is a total band-aid. The problem is that the grease attracts dirt and then the caliper stops sliding and begins to click again. Best thing to do is get the shim kit. I hate installing the wishbone spring clips...total PITA
Old 01-23-08, 01:16 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Brake shift "click", sound like a CLUNK to me. Doesn't happen all the time but it is rather embarrasing. Sorry but buying a Lexus I woulndn't expect this kinda noises and expecially when Lexus says it normal and supposed to be that way. If it's normal it should have sounded like this from day one when they first appeared on the car lots. I'm pretty sure it didn't though. I don't think if I test drove one brand new off the lot sounding like that I would buy it. Anyways, I hope the Fit/Shim kit will fix it.

Bump it up cuz I know others are having this problem and hope this will help them out.
Old 01-23-08, 10:06 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I can't speak for the rear brakes, but the fit kit for the fronts, along with fresh pads will eliminate 99.9% clicks, pops, and clunks. I can't say it strongly enough. Get the fit kit!!
Old 02-14-08, 01:29 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clunk Click

Thanks for all the info...Ive replaced Upper and Lower control arms, new brake pads, new calipers on my car this past year.

Trying to fix the LOUD Clunking/Clickin sound which occurs just before coming to a completel stop...I mean...it sounds like something is really loose in front, but Ive checked and re-checked all the bolts.

Im going to buy the Fit Kit and give 'er a try....if this fixes it, Im gunna be a happy camper!

Quick Reply: DIY for brake caliper shift / popping?