Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! Cut L-tuned bump stops in half?

Old 03-16-05, 07:16 PM
Shogun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Cut L-tuned bump stops in half?

Folks,
I've done a search and am simply attempting to reconfirm prior to cutting.

I had the L-tuned setup installed prior to reading this forum. As a result (and you guessed it) they installed the dreaded yellow bump stops. Now I have some really wonderful creaking noises coming from the rear over slight bumps and on slow, hard, turns.

Since it is a week after the install - the stock bumps are gone. The question is....

Can I cut the Yellow, L-Tuned, bump stops in half? I've seen it suggested here before and just want to ensure this is still a viable alternative.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Eric
Old 03-17-05, 09:14 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by Shogun
Folks,
I've done a search and am simply attempting to reconfirm prior to cutting.

I had the L-tuned setup installed prior to reading this forum. As a result (and you guessed it) they installed the dreaded yellow bump stops. Now I have some really wonderful creaking noises coming from the rear over slight bumps and on slow, hard, turns.

Since it is a week after the install - the stock bumps are gone. The question is....

Can I cut the Yellow, L-Tuned, bump stops in half? I've seen it suggested here before and just want to ensure this is still a viable alternative.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Eric
Oh man, am I glad you posted about the creaking noise (sorry that it's happening to ya though) . I was just going to post a new thread about my rear suspension making creaking noise as well. It never happened before and it never happened after the install but about 2-4weeks after the install my car started to make this creaking sound from the back as well. Even when I open the trunk and push my car down with my weight, it makes that aweful noise. Oh even on speedbumps in the parking lot, my rear is making the noise as well. Now one thing I've noticed is that when it even slightly warmer (5Celcius today) the noise was almost gone....whereas when it's really cold it's seems to be worse. Any ideas? BTW my shocks/springs were installed by a Lexus Tech so I dont' think it's the install. Thanks for ur help.
Old 03-17-05, 09:26 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

OH damn , it is the new bumpstops made by l-tuned thats causing it. What am i suppose to do now?
Old 03-17-05, 09:29 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

i dont know anything about cutting them but you guys can try to get a new set of bump stops from a lexus parts department
Old 03-17-05, 11:12 AM
Shogun
Driver

Default Yep

The L-Tuned bump stops are rumored to be the cause of the rear end noise. We should have stayed with the stock bumps.
Old 03-17-05, 11:16 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

guys

the cutting for the bump stops is to prevent a knocking noise , to get rid of the creaking noises , spray a pure silcone spray on the top and bottom perches and that will eliminate the noises.. dont use wd40 for that will wash away but a pure silcone is water soluable..

once evry few months you spray some on the perches and you are good to go
Old 03-17-05, 11:25 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
guys

the cutting for the bump stops is to prevent a knocking noise , to get rid of the creaking noises , spray a pure silcone spray on the top and bottom perches and that will eliminate the noises.. dont use wd40 for that will wash away but a pure silcone is water soluable..

once evry few months you spray some on the perches and you are good to go
thanks for this info lexforlife...but can you describe in detail what I' m supposed to do?

thanks a bunch.
Old 03-17-05, 11:55 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sure

get a can of water proof silcone from any auto parts store.. use the plastic red spray noozle to concentrate the spray into a tight area.. for the fronts, spray up into the shock spring assembly underneath the strut mounts and sprat the bottom where the spring sits on the perch

for the rears spary more on the bottom perch and also do the same for the tops .. the rear wheels may hve to be removed to really concentrate the spay onto the rear lower perch area.. its the rubber bushing rubbing against the metal making the creaking noise as well as the rubber perches up top.. in all the shock spring swaps i have done , it has always cured the problem
Old 03-17-05, 12:53 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default You the man

Lex,
You the man - thanks!

FWIW - the yellow bump stops have not made any thumping noises as of yet - so it's possible that L-Tuned may have had these redesigned.

Eric