Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 04:57 PM
twankys
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers

i have a 97 sc300 and upgraded to cross drilled and slotted rotors last fall mainly for the 20" wheels i put on there during the warm months......they havent seen the weight of the 20s yet though i have had my stock wheels on there since i switched out rotors.....but what i want to know is it possible to upgrade my calipers but not upgrade my rotors because i do not want to do a all out big brake upgrade because they will not fit on there with my stock 16" wheels......i am looking for a better caliper with a better bite but still keeping the stock size cross drilled rotors.....is that even possible to do? if it is what are some of my options?

one more thing...the whole reason i got the cross drilled rotors was because my old rotors were warped from the weight of the 20" wheels and i had a vibrattion during braking......so i got 4 new rotors and two new front brake pads but the rear pads are still the same.....i am now starting to notice vibration again with light braking , but the harder i press the pedal it tends to go away.......i recently noticed that the people that put my factory wheels back on , have the front driver and passenger wheels on the wrong side......the rotation arrows for the front tires are going the wrong direction, but the rear is fine....could this have anything to do with the vibration? also i did not get an alignment since i put the factory wheels back on ...could this cause the vibration? also i bought the rotors off ebay......could it be possible that they took rotors that were already warped and cross drilled and slotted them and then sold them? the rotors were brand new i know that and they have a zinc coating and they stay rust free, so i am thinking that is the most unlikely scenario......but i just want to get these vibration figured out before i throw the 20s back on cause if i dont i know it will get worse....i plan on getting an alignment before i put them on because everyone says they cant do an alignment on 20s......but if you have any input about the vibration or calipers just let me know

thanks
ryan
Old 03-13-05, 06:44 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I believe you can still use the stock sized rotors with the LS 4 pistons calipers though but any of the upgraded calipers(LS, Supra.........ect.) out there will be 4 piston or larger and won't fit behind your 16's.
Old 03-13-05, 11:49 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

i believe the sc300 rotors are smaller than the sc400 ones. I know for sure the calipers at the very least are. You might want to verify this before you commit to it.
Old 03-14-05, 02:19 AM
gowest
Driver

this is how I installed big caliper into my LS. I think that for SC300 you can follow the same route.
Old 03-14-05, 02:23 AM
gowest
Driver

make sure that the bracket is thick enough. mine was 7mm thick.
Old 03-15-05, 01:28 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rscott
i believe the sc300 rotors are smaller than the sc400 ones. I know for sure the calipers at the very least are. You might want to verify this before you commit to it.
yep they are different..

CEO