Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TT suspension upgrading... endlinks? bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 07:51 PM
fredzdesig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TT suspension upgrading... endlinks? bushings?

... so I read through 3 million posts on Supra suspension upgrades now and I haven't found an answer to...
I just bought Supra TT springs, shocks and front and rear sway bars used (going cheap and bang for buck HIGHLY stressed). I need to find Supra rear swaybar endlinks to go on my SC300 with 115k miles.

1. Anyone know where to get Supra endlinks the cheapest? Preferably a website.. or do I need to go through Toyota dealership?

2. Would it be worth it to replace the bushings while I'm at it? what's the best bang for the buck if I do? and should it include control arm bushings? (sorry, I'm TOTALLY newb to this).

3. What else should I look for / change while swapping out my suspension considering I'm tight on cash (like do alignment, etc... NOT drop in a turbo.)

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

fred
Old 03-12-05, 08:17 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

1. I'm not sure of the cheapest toyota dealer, but Carson Toyota (in socal) is reliable in my experience. The stock SC endlinks won't work properly, although I've been using them for 6 months and they haven't bent yet.

2. As for anti-roll bar bushings, if they are cracked then it'd be good to replace them. The front anti-roll bar is the same diameter so the sc300 bushing will fit. As for the back, you'll need to use the bushings from the supra. There are polyurethane bushings that come in a whole set, but only the fronts would fit. I have a pair of fronts if you would like to buy them.

Control arm bushings, in my opinion, are a very nice performance upgrade, but they do come at a hefty cost. You can search through less than 3 million posts and you'll find some info about them.

3. If the shocks you got are in good condition, you may want to check that the rubber insulator that goes inbetween the spring and suspension support has its rubber boots intact. The rubber boot is used to minimized dirt and water from getting onto the shock absorber rod.
The manual also calls for a new suspension support center nut, but that's a call you'll have to make.

Tip: If you're going to install the struts yourself, be prepared to improvise. Taking the struts out is easier than installing them, especially when working at home. The control arm bushings make it difficult to move the hub down, so there isn't much space for the strut to get into. When I got the front poly control arm bushings installed, it allowed the hub to drop to the ground. The rear control arm bushings were stock, so it would resist any downward force. I ended up using a block of wood and the spare jack and wedge the system inbetween the rear wheel well and the hub.
Old 03-13-05, 11:33 AM
fredzdesig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Buttercup
1. I'm not sure of the cheapest toyota dealer, but Carson Toyota (in socal) is reliable in my experience. The stock SC endlinks won't work properly, although I've been using them for 6 months and they haven't bent yet.
...so I HAVE to buy oem endlinks? would it be the same cost to look for aftermarket adjustables like Heim?

Originally Posted by Buttercup
2. ... There are polyurethane bushings that come in a whole set, but only the fronts would fit. I have a pair of fronts if you would like to buy them.
... you're refering to SC bushings for the front sway I'm guessing -- I'll PM you for price. So the next item would be Energy Suspensions for the rear.
Great info, Buttercup . I'm looking forward to a fun suspension!