Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

heres my REAR BID BRAKE UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 04:57 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default heres my REAR BIG BRAKE UPGRADE done

Heres my finished rear big brake upgrade.. with the help of sourcing the req mounting bracket from a true good friend , i/we have been able to finally accomplish mounting safely a set of 2002 ls430 rear calipers to the rear of my gs 400 . we also used a set of supra twin turbo rotors to match ..

the install was simple as pie .. we did both left and right and bled sys in under 45 mins. the look in person is simply amazing seeing the rotor size is now a exact match to the fronts od.

here is my detailed review of how well this setup works.. those who know me know that perf is always what i am after looks secondary so if the perf is not there then why bother ..

This is a must have for those of you running the supra tt fronts.. the whole debate about 4 wheel brake bias not being necessary is somewhat incorrect and now that i have mounted these and ran them last night on a series of tests prove it. the oem system was designed front to back for balance. once you upgrade the fronts from 2 piston to 4-6 pots you are changing the bias all to the fronts and under heavy braking your rears will surrender to the power of the fronts.. sort of a fishtailing action when you brake from a high rate of speed .. this can prove to be dangerous esp while cornering or a quick manuver . this promotes a insecure feeling and to me it defeats the whole purpose of upgrading ones brakes . some do it for looks some do it for actual functionality... upgrading the rears with the ls430 maintains a 2 piston set up but much larger pistons and twice the pad area and almost a 1in larger dia rotor and vented rotor at that for immed heat dispersement.. since mounting this yesterday , brake pedal modulation is immed and i do mean immed. (ask johnee78 , he almost went through my front windsheild when i hit the brakes from 80mph ) . you can actually feel the rears grab in perfect harmony with the fronts.. in fact i used to feel the fronts completely outdo the rears whereas the nose used to to try to dive but now its a smooth linear balanced feel now where the car just stops and i mean stops.. before doing this upgrade whenever a braked heavily, i used to see heat scoring being done to my front rotors meaning that so much is being asked of the fronts that they tend to overheat.. now since yesterday braking from 100mph quickly to a stop saw no heat scoring front or back and i am not even running a aggresive pad in the ls430 calipers right now just oem pads..

again guys this is a must have for those who want the true perf of a 4 wheel big brake upgrade without the 4k price tag (lets call it the poor mans 4corner upgrade)

for those who might be interested in this , the setup is well under a 1g and will put smiles on your face and the look is also to die for now that the rotors fill the rear wheels like the fronts..

Last edited by lexforlife; 02-11-05 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-11-05, 05:09 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks sweet!! I was actually thinking of upgrading my brakes prior to my suspension. I've always loved the way BBKs look on any car. Looks far more aggresive over the stock appearance,

OBTW, I love you car.

-Fernando
Old 02-11-05, 05:27 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

a couple of more pics

Old 02-11-05, 05:38 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW ed.. looks good.. im just to cheap to do my rears.. but under a g isnt bad though wonder what they would look like with rotora fro9nt?
Old 02-11-05, 05:46 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

wow. that looks great
Old 02-11-05, 05:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00lexondub
WOW ed.. looks good.. im just to cheap to do my rears.. but under a g isnt bad though wonder what they would look like with rotora fro9nt?

bro you could get a supra rotora rotor for the rear to match the front and the caliper design will look much better then the tiny stockers and then you could have them powercoated color matched to your fronts
Old 02-11-05, 06:00 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Brakes look great

What pads are you using at the rears (and what pads for the front)?
Old 02-11-05, 06:02 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HKGS300
Brakes look great

What pads are you using at the rears (and what pads for the front)?
the pads up front are ebc green stuff and oew for now at the rear .. after letting the rear rotors season abit i will be hopefully upgrading the rear pads to a more aggresive pad like the endless pads.. the rotors front and back are real bremb o sport slotted rotors
Old 02-11-05, 06:59 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

well i alrady got the REAR rotora rotors
Old 02-11-05, 09:23 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Did you measure the piston size and the pad size of the LS430 caliper vs the stock GS ones?
Old 02-11-05, 09:29 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow looks good!!!

now would this be able to be done to a rear supra TT caliper?
Old 02-11-05, 11:24 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
wow looks good!!!

now would this be able to be done to a rear supra TT caliper?

This caliper is lighter and offers better stopping power than the TT supra rear calipers..
Old 02-11-05, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is awesome ed, congrats on the new setup! this is in fact the setup i have been thinking about doing for a while, but guess you are faster maybe you can tell us more about teh bracket required

congrats again ed, let's just say i am very tempted to do something to my rear brakes now
Old 02-11-05, 04:14 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
this is awesome ed, congrats on the new setup! this is in fact the setup i have been thinking about doing for a while, but guess you are faster maybe you can tell us more about teh bracket required

congrats again ed, let's just say i am very tempted to do something to my rear brakes now

the bracket is custom made out of asia.. it is made out of hardened composite steel just like the ones used by stoptech/rotora..

this is a must do for those wanting a more balanced biased brake system. henry , it just plain works ..not only does it look right it performs like it should , you can actually feel the rear grabbing but in no way overpowering the fronts , just balanced ...

so far it appears i am the first 2nd gen gs in america running this setup like they run in japan for the last 2 yrs...

henry i see this thread was moved , i was hoping the mods would have left it in the main section seeing that their is so much intrest in something that is soooo necc but i guess some still dont see the need ...

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-11-05 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 08:31 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife

this is a must do for those wanting a more balanced biased brake system. henry , it just plain works ..not only does it look right it performs like it should , you can actually feel the rear grabbing but in no way overpowering the fronts , just balanced ...
I agree ... all those talks about installing bigger front calipers while not affecting total brake balance ... is either not completely true or the GS standard brakes were not balanced in the first place ...

IMO everyone who upgrades their brakes in order to improve braking should also consider upgrading their rears.

Lexforlife.... well done!

Quick Reply: heres my REAR BID BRAKE UPGRADE