Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-Tuned (how much drop)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 11:31 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-Tuned

How much drop can you get with L-Tuned springs and shocks on a gs with 18's? Any pics?
Old 02-10-05, 03:14 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

L-Tuned springs provide a 1.25" drop. Shocks have no effect on ride height, just there to keep the springs from pogoing you up and down at their resonant frequency.
Old 02-11-05, 04:59 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mooretorque
L-Tuned springs provide a 1.25" drop. Shocks have no effect on ride height, just there to keep the springs from pogoing you up and down at their resonant frequency.
I notice that you have L-Tuned springs and shocks installed on your car. How do you like it? Did you install it yourself?
Old 02-11-05, 06:32 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm VERY happy with L-Tuned compared to stock. While on the stock suspension, the car almost felt as if it moved around independently on top of the suspension and was very floaty. With L-Tuned, the ride is essentially as comfortable as stock (more so, if you consider the additional control and the more secure feeling that it imparts) with no more queasy, floppy feelings in the reaction of the suspension to the road.

Did not DIY; short of tools (you really need a spring compressor) and (I don't mean this to sound arrogant) I have more money available than the time to perform the project. But it's not difficult for anyone with reasonable mechanical skills and the proper tools.
Old 02-11-05, 06:40 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm VERY happy with L-Tuned compared to stock. While on the stock suspension, the car almost felt as if it moved around independently on top of the suspension and was very floaty. With L-Tuned, the ride is essentially as comfortable as stock (more so, if you consider the additional control and the more secure feeling that it imparts) with no more queasy, floppy feelings in the reaction of the suspension to the road.

Did not DIY; short of tools (you really need a spring compressor) and (I don't mean this to sound arrogant) I have more money available than the time to perform the project. But it's not difficult for anyone with reasonable mechanical skills and the proper tools.
I agree, if you can diy, you'll save about 5 hours of labor the dealer will charge. Also,
you will need a 4 wheel alignment when done.
Old 02-11-05, 09:15 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NesTea420
How much drop can you get with L-Tuned springs and shocks on a gs with 18's? Any pics?
Here are some pics of a GS430 with L-Tuned suspension and L-Tuned 18"s:

You can find a few more pics here.
Old 02-11-05, 10:48 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Looks good! Now you just need the aero kit to be official
Old 02-11-05, 10:53 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flossn
Looks good! Now you just need the aero kit to be official
Heh. Well, two issues with that: 1) I'm not a fan of the aero kit grille; 2) I'm selling the GS this afternoon. In fact, I'll be sending out a final farewell this evening after the deed is done. Kind of mixed emotions, of course, but I'm definitely having fun in the new ride...
Old 02-11-05, 11:04 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCWells72
Heh. Well, two issues with that: 1) I'm not a fan of the aero kit grille; 2) I'm selling the GS this afternoon. In fact, I'll be sending out a final farewell this evening after the deed is done. Kind of mixed emotions, of course, but I'm definitely having fun in the new ride...

Ahh I see Are you selling the rims with the car? I bet you coulda got some decent cash for those since they are hard to get.
Old 02-11-05, 11:05 AM
Bubbleye
Driver School Candidate

Default L-tuned shocks and springs w/19s

L-tuned shocks and springs w/19s
Attached Thumbnails L-Tuned (how much drop)-704990_4_full.jpg  
Old 02-11-05, 11:06 AM
Bubbleye
Driver School Candidate

And another angle
Attached Thumbnails L-Tuned (how much drop)-704990_10_full.jpg  
Old 02-11-05, 11:11 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flossn
Ahh I see Are you selling the rims with the car? I bet you coulda got some decent cash for those since they are hard to get.
Selling the car as-is. Some had recommended parting out the car and returning as close to stock as possible before selling, but I'm happy with the price I'm getting for the car, and I think it's a very fair price for the buyer as well.

I will say that there's been MUCH more interest in an L-Tuned GS than I'd have expected based on the comments from folks here when I first talked about selling it as-is. I've gotten quite a few calls since listing on Autotrader.com, and for each person the L-Tuned parts are a major selling point of the car.
Old 02-11-05, 11:12 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bubbleye
And another angle
Hey where in MN are you? I haven't seen too many modded GS's. Do you drive on those in the winter?
Old 02-11-05, 11:17 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCWells72
Selling the car as-is. Some had recommended parting out the car and returning as close to stock as possible before selling, but I'm happy with the price I'm getting for the car, and I think it's a very fair price for the buyer as well.

I will say that there's been MUCH more interest in an L-Tuned GS than I'd have expected based on the comments from folks here when I first talked about selling it as-is. I've gotten quite a few calls since listing on Autotrader.com, and for each person the L-Tuned parts are a major selling point of the car.

Really? that's nice to know since I just bought everything to make my car a L-Tuned stage 2 except for two front salina's, but I don't plan on selling my car anythime soon.
Old 02-12-05, 12:47 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

I wholeheartedly agree with what Mooretorque has to say about the L-tuned shocks and springs. I have them as well along with 18" SSR GT3 rims and Michelin 245/40 tires. Great improvement in handling, eliminated the "floaty" stock feel but still rides smooth and quiet. Have a set of Daizen sway bar bushings waiting to be mounted, that should give me even better resistance to roll on hard turns, though the suspension upgrade helped quite a bit in that department as well.

Quick Reply: L-Tuned (how much drop)