Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tanabe sustec vs l-tuned -need help-

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 07:45 AM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe sustec vs l-tuned -need help-

okay i'm thinking about getting tanabe sustec or l-tuned setup or blistien/eibach setup

can anyone tell me the differences between the ride of both and noise wise? i just want a 1 inch drop or maybe 1.5 drop...i was leaning towards the tanabe because its a complet all in one setup, but i heard good and bad about it so....i have 20inch wheels on it and i just want a better ride, not that floaty ride I get with it... something more stiffer and handles much better....i'm working wtih i guess $1000 to spend on it any suggestion will help
Old 01-31-05, 09:52 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the L-Tuned but not the Tanabe so I can't do a comparison. The L-Tuned did tighten up the ride. No more float. It was just slightly stiffer than stock so overall, it was fine.

Is that $1k installed because if not, you are at coilover pricing for some stiffer ones and near pricing for the soft riding ones.
Old 01-31-05, 09:56 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by Alexusoftime
okay i'm thinking about getting tanabe sustec or l-tuned setup or blistien/eibach setup

can anyone tell me the differences between the ride of both and noise wise? i just want a 1 inch drop or maybe 1.5 drop...i was leaning towards the tanabe because its a complet all in one setup, but i heard good and bad about it so....i have 20inch wheels on it and i just want a better ride, not that floaty ride I get with it... something more stiffer and handles much better....i'm working wtih i guess $1000 to spend on it any suggestion will help
I recently purchased L-tuned combo and I couldn't be any happier. For the price that I paid (under $400) for the set at Sewell Lexus, I got the ride I wanted, and the drop that I was looking for as well. The drop is about an inch( barely) and my car doesn't float like a minivan anymore.

Now if your budget is $1000 I think you can get better stuff than L-tuned. But honestly for the money, you can't beat L-tuned combo.
Old 01-31-05, 10:55 AM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

yeah i have 1000dollars to spend but if i'm getting the ride like an l-tuned setup for half the price of a tanabe i rather go with it .....but is that 400dollars for the full setup ? if so that is a good deal. still not sure, wat size wheels r u guys running with the l-tuned setup, because i have 20's and it might be different ....i

neo wat size is ur wheels? and yeah $1000 not installed i'll do that part myself
Old 01-31-05, 11:14 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexusoftime
yeah i have 1000dollars to spend but if i'm getting the ride like an l-tuned setup for half the price of a tanabe i rather go with it .....but is that 400dollars for the full setup ? if so that is a good deal. still not sure, wat size wheels r u guys running with the l-tuned setup, because i have 20's and it might be different ....i

neo wat size is ur wheels? and yeah $1000 not installed i'll do that part myself
That's hard to say. I had L-Tuned with 18s. I now have 20s with Tein CS. It would be hard to make a direct comparison as the smaller sidewall and more rim of 20s do make a difference in ride quality.

If you are trying to maintain ride quality, then they don't get too much softer than L-Tuned. Daizens and Espelirs are also nice springs but they do drop lower. Since you already have the 20s, you would have gotten a lot of the ride quality reduction already. The L-Tuned will make it only slightly worse but you will reduce the float and gain the handling you want.

Even when L-Tuned was not discontinued, they were around $500 for both shocks and springs. You were still way under your $1k budget even in L-Tuned's heyday.

I know it is not chump change but for another 2-300, you can get into the Tein CS coliovers and play with the height all you want while getting very nice handling and ride. It will never be OEM while you have 20s on but they will be about as soft as you can get. You can also get into the "stiffer" coilovers like the HAs for your price range. Just food for thought.
Old 01-31-05, 11:27 AM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

thanks neo for the input....i know once i put those wheels on it will never be the same ride again...now i really just want to lower it a little and get rid of that floaty ride... seems like l-tuned might be really good for me maybe with that extra changes get some sway bars for it too
Old 01-31-05, 02:09 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

truth about tanabe.
u get what u pay for.
A friend got springs and i got coilovers
We both are not that happy with the ride and noise it makes
Old 01-31-05, 02:37 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap