Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H&R vs Tein Coilovers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-01, 11:23 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

I know Tein is probably the coilover of choice for most GS owners but is anyone using the H&R coilover setup on their car.. Also is there a major price, warranty or drivability difference between the two??

Ken
Old 05-21-01, 01:49 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H&R

I have driven other cars than Lexus with H&R adjustable coilovers and found them firm, but not hard. I like the way they feel.
Don't know anything about the Tein coilovers, sorry.
Old 05-26-01, 03:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have H&R coilovers on my GS430 and it's as Richie says...firm but not hard...but what size rims are you going to use with the coil overs? And are you leaning more towards performance/sport or comfort/semi-sport?

The Tein HA's are on the performance/sport side, the H&R's are in the middle, and the Tein CS's are on the comfort/semi-sport side.

The advantage of the Tein's is that you can adjust both system to sort of "meet in the middle". The HA's can be dialed-in to be as soft as the CS's on their hardest setting. But the HA's still feel a little harsher than the CS's (even with similiar dampening settings)

Check out the scan below to see what I mean...the H&R falls in the middle. The advantage of the H&R's is easy availability of the system itself and replacement parts (should you need them). Tein, right now, is a more difficult to get due to the whole U.S. Distribution deal (or no deal) with Zen Motorsports (on a tangent, does anyone have any more info on what the deal is with Tein coming to U.S. to set up shop?)

As far as warranty, both system void your suspension warranty (but then again, if something happens, just install the stock stuff...just make sure that NO Lexus dealer who works on your car sees the coilovers if possible..otherwise, they enter it into your car's VIN database which = voided suspension warranty...they are very sneaky about this ****...they also ask for your VIN if you try to order a part for the car like trim or body panels...a little Big Brotherish...)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try out all system on equivalent cars. The rim/tire setup was different on all the cars I have tried. My current setup is H&R coilovers with 20" rims on Nitto 555 Extreme Tires and full TRD suspensions bits (STB, Sways, LCB)...
Attached Thumbnails H&R vs Tein Coilovers??-tein.jpg