Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 06:09 PM
trimless
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS Adjustment

I just finished the install on my PSS coilovers. Not that hard really. Total of about 5 hours work. Now that I've done it, I could do the entire job in 2 to 3 hours. Now I can go spend the money I had planned on paying someone to install these on something else.

The instructions that came with these coilovers suck. I made 5 turns on the fornt and rear coilover height adjustment rings and did a test ride. A huge improvement over the stock set up, and the ride stiffness is noticeably stiffer than stock. I did hear some noise from the front end over rough pavement, so I'll most likely be taking these back off to find out what's going on.

Before I go get an alignment, can someone with experience tell me how many turns I need to adjust on front and rear for optimal handling and ride.? I don't want it too be too stiff, but I do like the flat cornering. Looking for something in the middle. I have 16" wheels with front / rear STB's and sway bars.
Old 01-29-05, 06:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Sorry - I'm not a good one to reply to this. I've got mine set near the very bottom - just one thread left. I'd say go 60 - 75% of the way down and make sure the same number of threads on each remain.
Old 01-29-05, 07:13 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

wether you go half way down or all the way down like myself and dave ride comfort has little change for the springs preload does not change , focus on your ride height and enjoy ,
Old 01-30-05, 03:03 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default PSS Installed!

I lowered all 4 corners about 80% down. Rides firm but not too rough. Man, this thing corners MUCH better now! The ride is actually jsut right for me, kinda BMW like. You feel more "jolt" when going over bumps or rough pavemnent, but not bad at all.

Unfortunately I found a couple of flaws that need to be addressed that were not so evident with the stock suspension. Now when I take a corner fast I noticed the GT4 tires (stock) don't bite well enough for the new suspension. Ok, time for better tires. You guys think I can get some better 16" tires or is an upgrade to larger rims really necessary for better handling? I've heard that going up in rim size will rapidly diminsih the "ride" comfort, and I really don't want it any more stiff than it already is now.

Also, limited slip is a must to power out of a corner now. Looks like I will need some more money because thje modding has just begun! Anyone have a used supra LSD for sale?

PS- found the rattle. I had left the nut on a strut rod loose, tightened it down and all is quiet now.
Old 01-30-05, 03:55 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trimless
Unfortunately I found a couple of flaws that need to be addressed that were not so evident with the stock suspension. Now when I take a corner fast I noticed the GT4 tires (stock) don't bite well enough for the new suspension. Ok, time for better tires. You guys think I can get some better 16" tires or is an upgrade to larger rims really necessary for better handling? I've heard that going up in rim size will rapidly diminsih the "ride" comfort, and I really don't want it any more stiff than it already is now.
Stickier tires will help and wider tires will help as you have more rubber to the ground.

What size tires are you running right now? The comfort size is 215/60 and the sporty size is 225/55 for the OEM 16s. These rims are only 16x7.5 so you can't get too wide on them. You can push it if you want and go 235/55 (same diameter as the 215/60) or 235/50 (same diameter as the 235/45 on the OEM 17s). The problem will be finding availability/choices in the 235 sizes.
Old 01-31-05, 06:08 AM
trimless
Rookie

I'm running 225/55 16's now. I'll probably look for a used set of stock 17" wheeels and upgrade the wheels / tires at the same time.