Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS

Old 01-24-05, 10:38 AM
trimless
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS

I purchased a Bilstein PSS suspension for my 2001 GS4 and decided to let a shop do the install. How much should I expect to pay for the install? The Bilstein PSS system is an adjustable ride height shock/ sping combo. The local Goodyear shop won't touch the install as it requires a skill level the average shop does not have.
Old 01-24-05, 10:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

I don't recall exactly the $$ that I paid for my install. I had my old Bilstein / Eibach combo removed and installed on TomTNC's GS at the same time I put the PSSs on my GS, so we got a package deal. I think it was about $300 but not sure. This was at a specialty suspension shop, not the dealer.

You need to find a shop that knows how to install coilovers. Looks like you are in Texas - what part? Maybe someone can recommend a shop for you?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-24-05 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-24-05, 12:39 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default Houston

I'm in Houston. I was quoted $800 by one shop that does Lexus repairs, seems high to me. Anyone know of a good suspension shop in H-town?
Old 01-24-05, 12:46 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default Bilstein PSS

Dave,

Are you happy with the PSS suspension and how do you like how it make the car ride/corner?

Thanks
Old 01-24-05, 01:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

trimless,

Heres a link to a recent thread you might want to post on to see if anyone has suggestions on coilover install.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147066

Here's a detailed writeup I did of my impressions (short and long term) of the PSS coilovers. Short answer - yes, I'm happy.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/84180-bilstein-pss-detailed-impressions.html
Old 01-24-05, 02:39 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

like dave said , im happy as well , these coils rock , very very controlled sporty ride bordeline firm/stiff but not to the point that it is annoying but handling , just hold on while in the corners
Old 01-24-05, 06:07 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks Dave, a lot of good information. I just have sways and STB's on so far and look forward to seeing the improvement the Bilstein's will make. The car is a daily driver so I don't want too harsh of a ride, thats the main reason I choose the Bilsteins. I think it will ride OK with my stock 16" tire combo.

I went to the Texas Motor Speedway this weekend to watch a friend run his Mini Cooper in an autocross event. I got a ride with an instructor and I was hooked.
I know the GS4 is not an autocross candidate, but I want to participate in a driver training event at the speedway and think the car will be ready with this new addition. The stock ride was way too soft for any serious handling. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-24-05, 06:20 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trimless
I know the GS4 is not an autocross candidate, but I want to participate in a driver training event at the speedway and think the car will be ready with this new addition. The stock ride was way too soft for any serious handling. Thanks again for the info.

oh yeah , i'll bet theres a few guys down here in the dirty south who will disagree with that comment in my car..

i still amaze myself on how well the car sticks to the road and it seems the faster i go the more precise it is ,,,, right dave
Old 01-24-05, 07:09 PM
DJC
Rookie

I don't know of a shop in Houston, but if you get up to Plano (north of Dallas) I highly recommend Davenport Motor Co. They are a Lexus only shop and do excellent work. Good luck.
DJC
Old 01-24-05, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

wait, did you say 800 bucks for the install? that's retarded.... i know price vary from area to area, but that's outrages, when the price of the coilover isn't that much more....

here in cali you can get it done for 200 bucks easy
Old 01-25-05, 03:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

800 is waaaaaay tooo high

if you go by the labor rate per hour

to install that would 400 dollars an hour

or $266 if it takes them 3 hrs

i would ask where they are basing this price on
Old 01-26-05, 05:10 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default Labor Rate

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
800 is waaaaaay tooo high

if you go by the labor rate per hour

to install that would 400 dollars an hour

or $266 if it takes them 3 hrs

i would ask where they are basing this price on

Yeah, I caled back just to confirm. $400 to install and $325 to make adjustments and align. I'm looking for someone else in Houston to give me a quote. I'll shop around, I'm sure I can find a competent shoip to install this for much less. At least I hope so. That's way too much money for a few hours labor.
Old 01-26-05, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by trimless
Yeah, I caled back just to confirm. $400 to install and $325 to make adjustments and align. I'm looking for someone else in Houston to give me a quote. I'll shop around, I'm sure I can find a competent shoip to install this for much less. At least I hope so. That's way too much money for a few hours labor.
shop around. 400 for install is still kinda high

and over 300 bucks for adjustment? why not just adjust yourself and then spend about 100 bucks on alignment?
Old 01-27-05, 08:35 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do it for free in your backyard. Believe it or not, installing coilovers are actually easier than installing factory suspension. They are lighter, smaller, and all come in 1 solid part.

I've removed and reinstalled my coilovers in my cars so many times that I could probably do it with my eyes closed now.

Just remember to adjust the height BEFORE you put them on the car, so that all 4 are of even height. Makes life a whole lot easier.
Old 01-27-05, 10:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
You could do it for free in your backyard. Believe it or not, installing coilovers are actually easier than installing factory suspension. They are lighter, smaller, and all come in 1 solid part.

I've removed and reinstalled my coilovers in my cars so many times that I could probably do it with my eyes closed now.

Just remember to adjust the height BEFORE you put them on the car, so that all 4 are of even height. Makes life a whole lot easier.
yeah jon that statement would be true for teins , hks etc but the bilsteins you have to reuse your oem strut mount however the sweet part of the deal is that you don not need a spring compressor/clap to disassble or to reassenble.. so if you have basic mech abilities to remove from the car , bang ,you just saved 300-400

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS