Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein Sport Shocks on OEM Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:35 PM
LexFather

Wow, great read, thanks Ron.

Where did ya'll buy? I see Bilstein HD and Sport right around $450 or so for a set of 4?
Old 01-16-07, 02:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
where did you get your bilstein hds from? i'm thinking about doing your set up with the hds and stock springs.
I got my Bilstein HDs from here :

front shocks : http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...&cat=70&page=1

rear shocks : http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...&cat=70&page=1

Another place is :

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/bilstei...6064e9b46199bb

AJ-USA has free shipping but Import Replacement Parts is amenable to bargaining

Note that even though it is stated to fit only 1998 to 2002 GS300/400/430, the HD shocks fit my 2004 GS300 with NO problems.
Old 03-23-07, 10:06 AM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the Bilsteins do a good job of softening the car's reaction to bumps? When I hit a bump or pothole with the stock setup, you can really feel it in the car. I would like to get a setup that softens up the hard bumps, but still maintains good handling.
Old 03-23-07, 11:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

What you need are chassis stiffeners :
TOM"S 6 links and RLCB +/- FLCB.
Once the chassis is stiffened, impacts to the frame tend to dampen out faster so ride actually becomes better.

Of course the main benefit of chassis stiffeners is to improve handling.
Old 03-23-07, 11:10 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

According to Bilstein, HD is meant to be used with stock springs, SP is meant to be used with lowering springs. However, I think you could probably use SP with stock springs as well.
Personally, I would recommend to get a set of SP, which is cheaper than HD. Then find a used set of either Eibach or L-tuned springs. These are pretty conservative, you won't be scrapping anything (atleast I don't) nor will you have to worry about camber issue. You'd be spending the exact same amount on labor if you swap out springs or not. This set up will give you a much more controlled ride. The infamous highway float will be gone (love it!). Plus a more aggressive stance.
Old 03-23-07, 11:39 AM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I can live with the highway float because I'm rarely on the freeway (95% of my driving is in-town). I'm just really looking to soften the bumps since I am in town all the time.
Old 03-24-07, 04:11 PM
proboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
According to Bilstein, HD is meant to be used with stock springs, SP is meant to be used with lowering springs. However, I think you could probably use SP with stock springs as well.
Personally, I would recommend to get a set of SP, which is cheaper than HD. Then find a used set of either Eibach or L-tuned springs. These are pretty conservative, you won't be scrapping anything (atleast I don't) nor will you have to worry about camber issue. You'd be spending the exact same amount on labor if you swap out springs or not. This set up will give you a much more controlled ride. The infamous highway float will be gone (love it!). Plus a more aggressive stance.
That's the setup, I am going with.
I have already fitted the Eibach's because I couldn't wait and will be fitting the Bilstein Sport shocks soon.
Old 04-03-07, 05:12 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

So can anyone speak to whether or not the sharp bumps will soften with the HDs and stock springs?

And does elimination the highway float mean that the rider will be rougher on the freeway?
Old 04-04-07, 09:47 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I don't have HD so I can't make that comparison. With the SP, the ride will be a little firmer. Of course, the highway ride won't be as soft as stock. However, it gives me a lot more feed back. The car feels much more stable. At times, when I drive on rough pavement, it does seem a little rough. Most of the time I feel that it is an improvement in ride and handling over stock. I would describe it as some thing similar to a BMW with a sport package. Does it make you feel better when I put it that way?
Old 04-07-07, 02:09 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Not really, I'm actually wondering if there is a setup that will soften up the hard bumps that you get at lower speeds.
Old 04-10-07, 05:00 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

so stock springs + Bilstein Sports will not drop the car right?
will L-tuned + Bilstein Sports be a rougher ride than stock setup?
Old 04-12-07, 04:15 PM
Brennan401
Driver

OK: I just got my last of my parts in today to start my upgrades. L Tuned Springs and KYB GR2s, Daizen Sway Bars, TRD STB, Tein Rear Braces. I hope after reading all of this that this set up is for me. I really do not want to do this twice because the only doubt is going with Bilstein HD instead of the KYB GR2s. If it feels like a IS350 when I am done than I did it right.
Old 04-13-07, 05:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pauldfs
Not really, I'm actually wondering if there is a setup that will soften up the hard bumps that you get at lower speeds.
You want the best of both worlds ? Get the Bilstein HDs with stock springs. Handling improves dramatically but ride is never harsh.Add the rest of the suspension mods later(see my signature).
Old 04-13-07, 03:04 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!
Old 08-29-14, 02:06 PM
Coachb
Driver School Candidate

Gotta quick question for you about the bilstein hd set up w/oem springs....... I have the originals springs but have ordered the HDs.... Is it best to get new oem springs or use the old ones?

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sport Shocks on OEM Springs???