Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Intake makes me feel SLOWER :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 11:51 AM
orange 300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake makes me feel SLOWER :-(

Hey everyone. I jsut bought my IS 300 that i have been wanted for sometime now. I did me first mod and the car just doesnt seem to have the low end power. Its an Injen intake with a HKS filter on it. The car is a auto. and has 96k miles on it.
Is it just me or am i crazy.
I'm no stranger to working on hondas for 11 years , but never worked on Toyotas and dont know what to expect from doing mods to them.
Any help please.
Mondo...
Old 01-17-05, 12:02 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

add an afc or some type of piggyback fuel computer. i have an apexi s-afc for sale if you want one... 150 and its yours
Old 01-17-05, 12:03 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cold air intake?

i noticed some lag in mine when i put an intake on my gs3.

if it's a cold air - it'll be good but not if it's just a short ram intake. i had a genuine cold air (piping went all the way down to the bumper) on my infiniti g20 and it worked wonders...

maybe you should extend the pipe and move the filter into the area behind the bumper.

c.
Old 01-17-05, 12:08 PM
orange 300
Driver School Candidate

Yeah lag is what i feel. It just seems like i have to press harder on the gas to go anywhere. The filter is clean and the cold air idea sounds pretty good i might try that. If not then it needs to go. Maybe just exhuast. Thanks for the help.
Any other ideas????
Old 01-17-05, 12:23 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how about this...

I personally would be kinda worried about doing a full CAI on my lexus. i don't know how IS300s are set up but if you go back to the original stock air box then what do you think about this idea:

1) cut your traditional hole for a CAI.

2) cut a hole at the bottom of your stock air box

3) connect the two with a tube to allow cooler air to get sucked through in addition to the air from the original entry point.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-17-05, 01:22 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orange 300
Hey everyone. I jsut bought my IS 300 that i have been wanted for sometime now. I did me first mod and the car just doesnt seem to have the low end power. Its an Injen intake with a HKS filter on it. The car is a auto. and has 96k miles on it.
Is it just me or am i crazy.
I'm no stranger to working on hondas for 11 years , but never worked on Toyotas and dont know what to expect from doing mods to them.
Any help please.
Mondo...
When I had my GS3, I had an RMM intake installed. There was a loss of low end power but the car felt stronger in the mid and upped end. Overall, I was not very happy with the rmm mod. due to the loss of low end power.
Old 01-17-05, 03:15 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

What your experiencing isn't uncommon. A lot of my friends here with IS's with intakes, exhaust, headers etc have experienced a lot of lag when adding those parts. The safc will help a lot, but I am not sure you will get that torquey feeling completely back. Mine is all stock so I wouldn't know from personal experience but I have heard the same complaints by many. There have also been some cases where the product made no change in HP/TQ when installed and one case I know of for sure where HP/TQ was LOST. Yes lost. We had a dyno day, and it was proven. The guy went from 170+ rear wheel hp to 160 rwhp and 164 rwtq. I'm not even kidding. Talk about pissed, he was pissed. And even with others that were modified I was the 3rd highest hp/tq and I'm e-shift and stock under the hood. The other two that beat me had full exhaust - headers back- and intakes, and were also 5-speed. And they didn't beat me by too much. I have no way of explaining what happend but I just don't think there is any set standard for car mods like that unless you get a turbo. Your bound to get some power there.
Old 01-17-05, 05:30 PM
XaLtezZaX
Driver

did you try resetting your ecu after installing it?!? then when you do drive it like you stole it for a little while until the car re-learns the new driving skill!
Old 01-17-05, 08:10 PM
orange 300
Driver School Candidate

Man thanks a lot Amy. Lots of nice peeps here. It's just so strange about the feel of the car. I'm going to put back in the factory box and see what happens.

Thanks again guys.
I thought i was losing my mind.
Mondo.......
Old 01-18-05, 01:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

same here, my friend put intake on his is300 and he felt less power. actually i think what he lost was the tq. if i remember right, my friend with gs400 he dyno his car before and after intake, with intake he got 10 more hp but the tq number dropped
Old 01-18-05, 07:19 AM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

I had the same problem and I tried so many diffenent things. I finally just gave up and sold it. It wasn't that important to me. Good Luck with yours.
Old 01-19-05, 08:30 AM
scottc25
Driver

What happens is that in the lower end you are sucking up hot air which is the problem. When you get moving and have outside air coming in you lose the lag feeling. Sucking up hot engine air will always be the problem when you first get going.
Old 01-19-05, 03:25 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree

Originally Posted by scottc25
What happens is that in the lower end you are sucking up hot air which is the problem. When you get moving and have outside air coming in you lose the lag feeling. Sucking up hot engine air will always be the problem when you first get going.
I definetly agree with you here. I think this is the problem with most intakes is that the engine is sucking in warm air. A heat shield might fix the problem. I think with most intakes though that are ram you are going to get a little loss in torque no?
Old 01-19-05, 09:02 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Good point Scott. I totally Agree.
Old 01-20-05, 05:02 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah loss of low end but up top, boy with WOT and blowing by other cars, wow... need turbo or...

-John

Quick Reply: Intake makes me feel SLOWER :-(